Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • MegAvalanche!! Tire madness….
  • zcmudd
    Free Member

Ok so it’s 2 weeks away…. Time to gear up…

What tires are you running ?!

I’m thinking DHF/DHF 2.5 ST DH casing…

ahhh…
    Or Shorty/dhf st dh …. or shorty /dhr2 st dh

Tubeless, dt ex511 30mm front, stans flow 25mm rear

The part of my brain that thinks about tires will explode soon..

Does anybody think a super tacky rear will die before the end of one week of alp riding ??

kimbers

Does anybody think a super tacky rear will die before the end of one week of alp riding ??

itll last the week, maybe, top half is incredibly rocky

but ST rear is way unnecessary

unless its very muddy wouldnt bother with the shorty- even then after the REALLY muddy one a few years ago you want a proper narrow mud tyre to avoid clogging

oh, and its spelt TYRE

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Killed super tacky in a week of full on riding, did much less in my mega weeks though

SirHC

DHF/DHF 2.5 Double Down. I had a full week out of a supertacky rear, still had plenty of life left in it.

Shorty will skate on the rocks and the bottom section is clay, so if its wet, everything will clog!

Extra sealant and double rim tape.

Northwind

(I have not done the mega but) supertacky rear drags like a bastard and I wore one out in a single day doing the fort william endurance dh. It’s not just normal wear, it’s that the soft blocks tear up and tear off more easily so the side knobs go to crap. It does give epic grip on wet rock though.

chakaping
    Free Member

You’d probably get away with Supergravity/Doubledown carcasses both ends, but might as well go dual ply rear for peace of mind.

For god sake not ST though, 60a will be fine.

zcmudd
    Free Member

Well the issue with ST rear is that there is only HR2 dual ply in DC 60a…. dhr2 and dhf only come in ST flavor,,,,, maybe my legs were weak last year but I swear hr2 on the rear was like pedaling on one of those gym bikes with a strap that tightens around a wheel for more resistance when pedaling

Wtf is a Tyre?!? I prefer to use something I know and understand… such as a TIRE

fifeandy
    Free Member

TIRE

Argh, mods, can’t we add this to the profanity filter?

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

DHR2 exo rear and snakeskin schwalbe front were fine last year and I destroy tyres like they’re going out of fashion.

People like to obsess over them but in reality you’ll be fine on most tyres.

lardman
    Free Member

I tire of these Americanisms.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve got apex-lined Nobby Nics at the moment, and just got a pair of Exo Minions as backup. Was thinking of fitting the Minions in advance, but if it ain’t broke…
    Tubeless with Huck Norris installed.

Running 650bx2.8″ for shits and giggles.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve got apex-lined Nobby Nics at the moment, and just got a pair of Exo Minions as backup.

Personally I’d go with the Minions with minion backups how long will the nn last on the rocks?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Not noticed any substantial wear on the NNs yet with 6 months general riding and a handful of ride in the Lakes. I realise the Alps are different though…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I mean ripping themselves to shreds on the rocks not wear.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I used a maxxis ignitor

scottfitz
    Free Member

Cheng Shin Rubber Industry Co. (Chinese: ????????????) is the ninth largest tire company in the world. Established in 1967, in Yuanlin, Taiwan, by Luo Jye. Maxxis is a wholly owned subsidiary of Cheng Shin.[1]

Maxxis make tires, the internet is never wrong.

matt_outandabout

Wtf is a Tyre?!? I prefer to use something I know and understand… such as a TIRE

tire
    VERB

Feel or cause to feel in need of rest or sleep.
    no object ‘soon the ascent grew steeper and he began to tire’
    with object ‘the journey had tired her’
    ‘the training tired us out

tyre
    NOUN

A rubber covering, typically inflated or surrounding an inflated inner tube, placed round a wheel to form a soft contact with the road.
    Example sentences
    ‘There is an advantage, but not necessarily due to the actual contact patch of the tyre.’

chakaping
    Free Member

Only on STW.

andeh

I wouldn’t bother with the shorty if I were you, the trails are very rocky at the top and then (usually) dusty at the bottom. If it rains all week the bottom will be a mess and a Shorty will clog.

Last time I was there, during that fateful wet year (#neverforget) I ran Super Gravity Hans Dampfs front and rear. Was fine on the rock (as it’s very grippy even in the wet), but clogged horribly in the lower section. Unless you were on 2″ mud spikes and riding fast, nothing would have cleared in that mud. Tyres lasted the week, and then another 2 around the rest of the alps, until I nearly died trying to chase Neil Donoghue down a track that ended in a steep, wet field with tractor deep ruts. I saw the face of God, then stuck a new tyre on.

I’d run the Minions if I were you.

thegman67

I will be running a Magic Mary and a Minion DHR 60a on the back both tubeless

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I mean ripping themselves to shreds on the rocks not wear.

Yep. They’ve not ripped to shreds on Lakes rocks yet. Had one pinch, but fitted Huck Norris since then.

zcmudd
    Free Member

Definition of tire
    : a rubber cushion that fits around a wheel (as of an automobile) and usually contains compressed air

Oxford vs Merriam-Webster… an ocean between

Well it seems that ST rear has received enough negative commenting and I feel inclined to use HR 2 on the back …. again…

So it suppose my mega trip this year will be…

Dhf 2.5 dual st/ hr2 2.4 dual 60a

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Spelled

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘MegAvalanche!! Tire madness….’ is closed to new replies.