Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Megavalanche
  • stross83
    Free Member

Evening all. I’m doing the mega in July and I am just trying to get a rough idea on tyre choices.

I do like Schwalbe tyres and have hans dampf at the moment. Was thinking maybe Magic Mary up front with Hans at the rear??

Advise away mtb community

Cheers

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ve heard great things about michelin tyres…

mattkkitch

There is no ideal tyre for the mega as no tyre is designed for snow, rock, grass, loose soil, mud, wet single track, dry single track and road (it comes in approx that order).

An aggressive all rounder would seem the best choice, so the biggest Magic Mary’s you can fit in your frame and forks would make sense.

Oh and even if you normally don’t, please wear shin pads!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Minion.
    /Thread

kimbers

As long as its dual ply whatever you choose will be fine

andrewh
    Free Member

Minions were perfect for me when I did it a couple of years ago http://www.andrewhowett.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/megavalanche-whole-soggy-saga.html?m=1. Only time I was cursing them was the weight when riding up the road climb but that’s not really surprising

zero-cool
    Free Member

Maxxis Minion DHF front and rear. They gripped well in the snow the year I did it and perfect for most things. I went dual ply after watching Nico shred his side walls and ruin his race run.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I went dual ply maxxis with DH tubes last year, not a single flat in the entire week but damn those wheels were heavy. I’ve since gone tubeless and as far as I can tell maxxis DH casings don’t do TR, anyone here given the Schwalbe supergravity casings some proper punishment set up tubeless? Magic Mary\Rock Razor both SG is what I’m thinking, especially for £25 each!

bella
    Free Member

Dual ply a must. Never had too much of a problem getting them to seat tubeless on stans flow. Minion DHF 60a rear with super tacky minion DHF up front 4 years in a row. The mud year swapped front out for a hillbilly. If it is much it is really muddy. Did I mention dual ply….

chrishc777
    Free Member

So my wire bead dual ply minion should work tubeless?

bella
    Free Member

Has worked for me several times with wire bead dual ply. Much easier with some rooms than others and be tyres easier than old ones.

stross83
    Free Member

Cheers guys
    Yeah wire bead makes sense for buying a few tyres.
    Reckon magic Mary’s it is.

DeeW
    Free Member

I’d probably go something slightly faster rolling than a MM on the back. But the important thing is get something with a decent casing: super gravity or dual ply. You’ll probably find yourself riding way faster than you normally would in the race run, and other riders shouting at you from behind or blocking your way in front make you ride some silly lines.

1 pinch flat = race over

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

How about the front tyre suggestion for 29er?

This would be for the Mega riding (heavier rider).

So far I have had a good experience with Michelin Wild Rock’R2 Advanced Reinforced Tyre Gumi-X but would gladly consider other options.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Dual ply Minion on the back, ideally a knackered old one so it rolls a bit faster.

Minion EXO on the front. Run that setup for years & never flatted.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Have been looking at trying a pair of Michelins, maybe the Wild Rece’r at the back with a Wild Grip’r up front, both reinforced…?

stross83
    Free Member

I’ve had Michelin wild grip’r’ front reinforced and rear as a normal
    Must admit I haven’t been impressed. Never had the same cornering confidence as when I was running hans damfs. But that’s just my preference

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Anyone able to elaborate on difference between these two tyres:

(1) Continental Der Kaiser 2.4 Projekt in the ProTection Apex flavour: http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20kaiser%20projeckt.shtml

vs

(2) Continental Der Baron 2.4 Projekt in the ProTection Apex flavour: http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20baron%20projeckt.shtml

Also, how does this ply description “4/240” compares to 2-ply tyres of Maxxis.

Is there some sort of online source that talk about how these “ply” descriptions compare?

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Question to those who suffered puncture during the Mega: which wheel does usually get punctured? Mostly front or mostly rear?

jamesoz

Rear, I run a downhill casing on the rear and trail tyre on the front. Make sure, if tubeless that your valve cores aren’t gummed up with sealant. Trying add air at altitude with a mini pump on gummed valves is no fun.
    I tried to run a lighter rear tyre in practice, ran out of co2, tubes, patches, patiance and had to walk down to alp duez to buy a downhill tyre and tube to get down to allemont.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Iv always used single ply 2.4 Ardents – but then I use them for everything. In fact the front one will be doing its 3rd Mega this year as long as it makes it to July (and that’s with a year off!)

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I run the same tyres that I would year-round in UK too.
    Dual ply mid compound rear, single ply/UST soft compound front.
    Always tubeless

Rear something like
    Dual ply Minnion DHF 60a
    Supergravity trailstar Mary or HansDampf

Front something like
    Single ply or UST Minnion 42a
    Snakeskin vertstar Mary

Rock Razor would be a deathtrap on snow or mud – I wouldn’t.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Megavalanche’ is closed to new replies.