Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Megavalanche 2015 roll call
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

So who’s going? I’m heading out next Monday.

Forecast looks like it may well be a repeat of last year, good job I bought those mud spikes just in case!

scottfitz
    Free Member

It can’t be as bad as last year, good luck mate.

cultsdave
    Free Member

If it is as bad as last year mud spikes will be totally useless!
    All tyres were useless last year for “that” section!

scottfitz
    Free Member

26″ wheels in 650b frame is a good shout!

superfli
    Free Member

Swampthing 2.5 front/minion rear worked very well for me! Rode the whole lot, dont think I fell once <extremely chuffed smiley> 😛

For your sake I hope its better weather. It would be a blast in the dry I’m sure

cultsdave
    Free Member

Falling was not the problem. Getting wheels to go round was the issue!

mc
    Free Member

I’m going, so it’s pretty much guaranteed to pish doon.

But I’ll still be sticking to good old high rollers regardless of the conditions 🙂

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ll be running 26″ wheels in 26″ frame, but with 650b forks so I’m in with a chance!

woodster

Me!

Perhaps I should order a rear axle conversion kit so that I can run 650B drop-outs. I’m going with a Vigilante up front and Minion in the back most likely.

Really hope it’s hot and dry.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s 100% guaranteed to be dry as I’ve decided to give it a miss this year.

iain1775
    Free Member

I’m in (with mc up there ^)
    Forecast does look like it will be a bit wet at some point, but I’ve seen 4 slightly different forecasts on 4 different sites now, only consistency between them was some rain in the afternoons just a question of how much

jamesoz

I’ll be there, at this rate on a steel hardtail.

kimbers

Bit of rain is fine, hopefully will be nothing like last years mudbath, but the Alps had a very wet summer last year, think it’s been much drier so far

Have fun everyone, rather jealous myself !

sprocker
    Free Member

I will be there, first time for me, there for a week before too

Dark-Side

I’m in, setting off Tuesday after work. Just debating tyre choice at the moment!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Good luck to all, hopefully not too much going into the Doc’s Ferrari fund.

Reckon this thread needs pics and race numbers so you know if your about to run over a fellow STW’r

Top tip – NSFW http://www.youswear.com/ learn some new words in common euro languages

Jealous really

rickmeister

Team of three ladies going on Monday, mrs rickmeister and two more coming over on Saturday from the UK.

Chalet booked in adh for the week…

chrishc777
    Free Member

Anyone know where to find a blank doctor’s note? I’ve got mine but matey I’m going with hasn’t!

rickmeister

I/we think it can be bought or dealt with on the day…

If you have a BC race licence then you do not need a doctors note. If not then just a basic note from your GP stating that you are fit to compete. Or just pay the couple of € fee and not bother with a note.

Dark-Side

I think the “Insurance daily MULTISPORT” replaces the need for a docs note does it not?

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

good luck

woodster

Anyone know where to find a blank doctor’s note? I’ve got mine but matey I’m going with hasn’t!

Can’t you just knock one up using yours and the website for his docs?

I’m going to have to get creative since I’ve got the flu and had to cancel my appointment (the irony!)

chrishc777
    Free Member

I wrote him one up in word, using mine as a template, just hope they don’t look too similar!

sprocker
    Free Member

Had to pay 25 quid for my note, a single typed line !!

woodster

What exact information is given on these notes? If anyone could send a pic of theirs to justwoody92 AT hotmail DOT com that’d be ace.

It’s for research purposes of course.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

just pay the day insurance or get BC membership. Think dog tag covered it when I was last there if you had the full cover.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ve got the day insurance from the mega, but then thought about it and given the little to no info given about it and the stories I’ve heard about bad organisation, plus the fact the site is useless I went for dogtag as well, If I need to make a claim that’ll be the best £45 I’ve ever spent!

It did say you don’t need a note with the insurance but I don’t trust the site and would rather have one tbh just in case it was a typo or something

chrishc777
    Free Member

Just finishing loading the wagon, quite excited right now!

iain1775
    Free Member

So, how did everyone do?

chrishc777
    Free Member

1:16, 109th in challengers. Got a bad start on the snow and was a bit frustrating being stuck behind people walking down stuff but seized every opportunity to overtake and absolutely loved it! Got back at 5am this morning, not enjoying work today….

sprocker
    Free Member

I took a hardtail got 2 punctures in the quali and ended up in the affinity. Went to Grenoble bought a Lapierre zesty then got a puncture in the race followed by a broken seat post which left me limping in 1h40. Turned out to be an expensive trip. Them braking bumps are something else.

kimbers

Dual plys sprocker?

chrishc777
    Free Member

I was running dual plies with DH tubes with a bit more pressure than usual and didn’t get a single puncture all week!

Wheels weighed a tonne but worth it I think

jamesoz

Had a steady qualifier, a bit frustrated by a rider who took all the overtaking lines holding me up until he ran out of talent at the new bus stops by the road, letting me go.

Went from near the front of the challengers to pretty much the back when everybody on the left side including myself slid off the side of the ski slope.
    Did lots of waiting for people walking technical bits on the rocks, managed to pass quite a few on the climb out of Alp Duez. I had a clearish run down Bravery and fun passing in the woods, a time 1.27 in the end. I should probably have been more aggressive after the snow but at the end of the day it was fun and I’m injury free.

I ran a Chunky monkey tubeless on the front and a Magic Mary on the back with a DH Tube after it was clear a Smorg wouldn’t cut it on the back (a flat every 100 yards and walk into alp duez to buy a tyre in practice).

peachos
    Free Member

I got a podium!!

…albeit in the Megavalanche Amateurs. 4th overall, 3rd in the Masters cat with a time of 58:33.

After a great start from the 4th row in my quali I was gunning for a top ten finish – aiming to get into the main race with the pros. Rolled my (tubeless) tyre off the rim at the bottom of the grassy zig zags and ended up finishing around 76th, which stuck me on the front row of the 3rd race, so not an entirely bad place to be.

Not a bad start in the main race either; even with 5 stacks on the snow I was in 2nd place – one of which I lost after another crash on the traverse and another place on the slog over the brow.

Wanted to get down in under an hour in whichever race I ended up racing in, so happy days. Would’ve liked to have ridden in the main race, but can’t really complain at coming home with a big ass Megavalanche medal!

kimbers

good work peachos!

peachos
    Free Member

cheers mate!

great week – defo recommended.

oli31
    Free Member

I got lucky and had a clean and reasonably quick qualifier ending up in the second to last row of the main race.

I got a rubbish start and had a couple of silly crashes due to over excitement and fatigue on the top rocky section. Ended up taking it steady, soaking up the atmos and being polite and cheery to everyone who I passed and was passed by 1hr 17min. Collared for an interview at the finish which was nice and completed the epic feeling!

Great event, amazing weather and good craic with mates and other riders, well chuffed for first Mega and the whole trip was a 40th present from a couple of good buddies!

superfli
    Free Member

Wow! A Mega medal! I would be well chuffed with that 🙂
    Well done

kimbers

superfi, back next year for the good weather?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Megavalanche 2015 roll call’ is closed to new replies.