Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Megavalanche
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

Can you ride the full Megavalnche route outside of the actual competition or are some sections closed? I’d like to ride it, but not necessarily in the main competition.

Steve77
    Free Member

You can ride it in training in the days running up to the event without entering the actual race I reckon. If you did it much before or after though you might struggle to work out what the actual route was. If you’re going all that way just do the race though. If you don’t qualify in the top half or so you don’t get a mass start anyway so are effectively riding it on your own

missnotax
    Free Member

The glacier with the snowy bit is closed for a few days before the Mega to protect it (or it was last year anyway). You can’t miss the route itself near the time of the event as literally hundreds of people are tearing down it for the week before…. Not sure if you would be able to follow the route at any other time.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

We rode the Mega route from the top of Pic Blanc on the last day of the season a few years ago (I think it was the last weekend in August).

A day or two after this (end of the season) and it seemed as though the ‘Megavalanche’ specific signs had been taken down on the lower section and it just became any other forest path.

Rode the course for the actual Mega last year (early/mid July) and there was way more snow than the end of August.

If you look on the map, the top section of the Mega pretty much follows the path marked on the map from the top of Pic Blanc anyhow.

There might be a lack of tape and a few missing signs but you can figure it out, because its all run on paths that are open all summer.

andeh

Just do the mega, it’s actually the most fun you can have on a bike. That’s a fact! 😀

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Thanks all. In truth i’d love to do the Mega, but would be intimidated as hell so would like to scope it out first with some mates.

zulu
    Free Member

Do the mega! Its awesome!

This is my edit of the 2012 race. I broke my wrist on the first day of our trip but on board footage is from burmaboy on here.

Check part 1 and 2 for more of the other routes down the mountain in.

zulu
    Free Member

Do the mega! Its awesome!

This is my edit of the 2012 race. I broke my wrist on the first day of our trip but on board footage is from burmaboy on here.

Check part 1 and 2 for more of the other routes down the mountain in.

Steve77
    Free Member

Honestly there’s no reason to be intimidated by the Mega. They have a qualifying race on the Friday and so you’ll end up doing the main race with people of a similar pace

jonnyseven

Do the mega with your mates. Commit to a week and rent an apartment. There’s loads of accomodation as the place is set up for thousands of skiers not a few hundred bikers. You can scope it all out in sections through the week. Once you know the trail you shouldn’t be intimidated and can ride your own race. If you get bored mid week get over to Deux Alpes for a change. You will NOT regret it 😀

missnotax
    Free Member

Honestly there’s no reason to be intimidated by the Mega. They have a qualifying race on the Friday and so you’ll end up doing the main race with people of a similar pace

Unless you’re a girl, where they lump all the women together (pro riders down to peeps like me) and set them all off 30 mins before the second fastest group of men.

Which is why I chose not to partake in the actual quali / race – I didn’t fancy having hundreds of pumped up dh riders zooming past me halfway down a mountain…..

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

In truth i’d love to do the Mega, but would be intimidated as hell so would like to scope it out first with some mates.

wobli, that’s what the practice days before the event are for.
    You’re supposed to feel intimidated as hell too, that’s part of the attraction.

I was a mega virgin in 2012. Loved it. I’ll be back in 2014.

kayak23

I rode the course last summer top to bottom. Whether I missed some sections I don’t know but it was all signed pretty much.

It was fantastic.. I just kept going, and going, and going…

At the bottom you have to get a bus with a trailer up to the first lift.
    I’ve got my eye on the race sometime too.

diawl2
    Free Member

I’d say just do it. It’s amazing what you can ride when you have to. Definitely an experience not to be missed.

andrewh
    Free Member

Seriously tempted by this race, but will be 2014. Have a foreign trip planned already this year and can only afford one.
    What exactly is the format, can just anyone enter and have a go or do you need to qualify somehow? (I assume the qualification mentioned above is some sort of seeding run?)
    Also, can it be done on a 140mm air-sprung trail bike or will I need to scour the fleabay for a ‘proper’ DH bike?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What exactly is the format, can just anyone enter and have a go or do you need to qualify somehow? (I assume the qualification mentioned above is some sort of seeding run?)
    Also, can it be done on a 140mm air-sprung trail bike or will I need to scour the fleabay for a ‘proper’ DH bike?

Simple

Pay money get place ability ranges from the fastest enduro guys in the world to some of the slowest you have ever seen.

Qualification is in heats of 200 with all bar the top 10 randomly assigned. Tape goes up you ride.
    Top 35ish go to mega proper, next 35 to race 2, then race 3. After that there are 2 non mass start races for the others.

Best bike is an endless story…
    I have used a DH bike (way too much for the pedaling) and a Heckler with all air. Both were good and bad but bike handling skills meant the heckler was a better option for me, there was nothing unridable on it.

Technicality the upper half compared to the Lakes (off piste) the bottom of the Quali was like a trail/bike park (2011) and the lower half of the mega was good alpine singletrack (some rough bits)

I’d stick with the trail bike and make sure the wheels were sound and get proper tyres.
    Simple rule of the mega – take nothing special, unique or hard to get spares for….
    Also it’s not your typical alps ride holiday if you go out hard everyday by the race you will be finished so more lunch and cake stops 🙂

I’ve also injured my self on both occasions (broken toe year 1 and dislocated finger tip year 2 and still raced on the weekend) just make sure you have some spare euros for the doc as they don’t take insurance as payment 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

wobbliscott – Member

In truth i’d love to do the Mega, but would be intimidated as hell

that’s the point! 🙂

just ‘riding’ the course will in no way prepare you for the brown-trouser moment on the start line when the helicopter swoops in…

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

… and the music starts blaring…

The start line atmosphere is what makes it unique.

Do it. It’s an experience that every mountain biker should have at least once.

The qualifier course is actually more fun than the main event course IMHO but both are pretty damn good.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

… and don’t worry about your final results ‘cos your luck-of-the-draw position in the qualifier will have a massive effect on your quali placing.
    I drew the very back row of quali 🙁
    Somehow managed to get past 80 odd people but still missed out on a mass start by 3 places.
    Does it matter? Nah, you still get to ride the course and get a time that you can compare with your mates and it just draws you back next year’cos you know that you’ll do better next time.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Megavalanche’ is closed to new replies.