Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Megaavalanche
  • burmaboy
    Free Member

How the hell do I get a ticket for this race?

mandog

Wait until mid January. Then type "mega" into this website's search engine and follow the instructions. event is in July.

mega

May the force be with you.

grumm
    Free Member

If you're bothered about doing well the flowmtb offer on the front page of a guaranteed front row spot in a qualifier is a pretty good idea imo.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

that's right – you either wait until Jan 11th when they go on sale on activeeurope.com

or you book a place to stay with us and get a place from us. today!

And you get a good start position for the qualifier..

burmaboy
    Free Member

awesome. i think i'll wait !! thanks for the info!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Yep, in my mind's eye I'd be there on my Avalanche inspired bike doing the course proud…

…in reality I'd be wetting myself and crying like a little girl. I'm under now illusions as to my lack of talent.

However, I'd still love to give it a go.

radoggair
    Free Member

flowmtb – prices for 1 and 2 week excursion please

grumm
    Free Member

Yep, in my mind's eye I'd be there on my Avalanche inspired bike doing the course proud…

…in reality I'd be wetting myself and crying like a little girl. I'm under now illusions as to my lack of talent.

I have no talent and had a great time. Didn't qualify for the main Mega or the promo but I finished in my category and was some way off last – good enough for me. 🙂

flamejob
    Free Member

I can't do it a fifth time.

…though the course is going to be radically different next year.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I WILL do this before I'm 40…….

brakes
    Free Member

how will the course be different?

flamejob
    Free Member

We were speaking to the nice man that designs the course (just after the quali course was manically re routed this year) and he says that the Mega route is going to stay on the Alpe side of the bottom part of the course in order to avoid that long slog up and over the spur after the town. So the quali will be on one side (the Oz side) and the mega course will be on the other, still finishing in Alamond (sp?)

He also mentioned that some more hardcore lines will be incorporated with alternative chicken lines to make the lower part more interesting.

Let's see what happens.

Conor
    Free Member

I hated that long slog past Alpe D'Huez. I'm sure it cost me at least 30 places due to lack of XC fitness.

The Mega course needs to be more flowy in the lower section. Needs to be more like the quali track. The first half is sweet of course.

Looking forward to my fourth year in a row.

(some info for those unfamiliar)
    http://www.mtbrider.com/mtbr/showthread.php?t=23051

nicko74

I WILL do this before I'm 40…….

I'd love to think the same, but tbh I haven't a hope in hell. I'm just a little girl when it comes to downhill type stuff, and having a bunch of people up my backside trying to get past wouldn't help.

grumm
    Free Member

Conor that's a pretty good summary of info I reckon. I like the scoring system bits. 🙂

flamejob
    Free Member

Conor's Guide The most asked question “is my generic lightweight 5” travel trail centre mincing machine suitable for the mega?”

NO, IT’S NOT.

But by this stage the type of people that own those bikes should have been scared off by now. But if there are any of you left, here’s a warning…

The Mega will repeatedly rape, torture, meme and destroy your bike.

LOL

Saying that, every year since my first my 'Race' bike has got lighter and lighter; see XC rims and air forks/shock. Does that mean I am a supersmooth rider 😉

I think this is the ideal bike:
    Big forks (160mm)
    Supertacky 2.5 front and 2.3 rear tyres with DH tubes
    Dual ring chain device
    Big brakes that don't fade
    Up/down remote seatpost

/\ Post Mega Photo

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Doesn't matter what bike you got / ride – There was a dude there rinsing it on a hardtail.
    However the following guide might help:

DH bike – Good on the downs, crap on the ups, lots of travel to help hide riders lack of smoothness / get you out of trouble when you get things wrong.

FR bike – Good on the downs, bit better on the ups must high five after every jump and call everyone dude.

AM bike – Best bike for the mega, good on the downs, good on the ups, helps if you have an uppy downy seat post.

HT bike – Gives you extra kudos from all the people struggling on their DH bikes, if you can ride then extra kudos all round, if not everyone will think 'why didn't you just bring your AM / FR / DH bike'.

DH tyres and tubes a must. Lots of spare brake pads for the newbees – sintered not organic!
    If you don't ride DH start training now – not fitness though ARM PUMP – hurts like **** for the first few days and can make you look like captain hook after 45mins of descending non stop!!

fbk
    Free Member

Can people please stop talking about the Avalanche series!

I'm already looking forward to more Avalanche Enduro's and a group of us are "definitely" doing the Mega next year!

I hate wishing my life away but Bring On Next Season! 😈

Conor
    Free Member

No flamejob, you must just be a skinny runt and slow 😉

I'm 13st without armour etc so my heavily built 35lb Reign does the job well. I'd like to give it a shot on a HT.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Oh and to back up I know what I am talking about:

rhid

I want to do this event so much.

I have a choice of a DHified Bullit of a Trail orientated Heckler, the question is which one? I suppose I could mix and match a bit? I have no illusions of winning, just finishing in one piece so I would be leaning towards the bullit! Any suggestions for a first timer would be great.

Conor
    Free Member

Bullit, you''ll have far more fun. There are some great DH tracks in the area. Will be more fun on the Bullit.

But as long as you have big brakes and DH wheels and tyres 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Some would say a more DH type bike is better for the qualifier as there is only one short climb in it. I did it all on my Pitch – would def have been better with the 36 Vans I have now rather than the Pikes I trashed while out there though.

kimbers

if you want to win the heckler

if you want to have fun the bullit

but if they are making the race more like the quali course then maybe the bullit after all

flamejob
    Free Member

@Conor I'm 9.5st and generally end up in the top 1/3rd

I 'cheated' this year and rode my new BigHit3 on the quali and the Bitch on the main race; just 'cause I could.

Anyone want to come to my local trails for a bit of 'training'?

fbk
    Free Member

Hmm, my current plan is 223 for qualifying; slightly beefed up E-120 for the main event. "Cheating" maybe but I'm just there to have fun 🙂

Although if what Flamejob is saying is right and they're removing some of the uphill slogs, maybe a re-think is in order!!

Conor
    Free Member

Top third in the main Mega? Good going. I've qualified for the Mega twice and promo once, usually come about half way. I'm not fit enough. I was about 10th in my qualifying heat until I had to stop for a puncture at the DH section past the lift station. Gutted. Still qualified for Mega though. By one place lol! Past the guy on the last corner into Oz. Muppet 🙂

wheelz
    Free Member

Conor Said:

I'd like to give it a shot on a HT.

So you'll be there on the Cove next year then Conor?

soobalias
    Free Member

whats local flamejob?

Conor
    Free Member

Aye, if I go, hope to bring both bikes. I'll never win so may as well do it a bit differently.

flamejob
    Free Member

My local trail

If anyone fancies it maybe I should put a STW Gnarlcore weekend together. It certainly helps with the arm pump 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Megaavalanche’ is closed to new replies.