Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mega TR, Banshee Spitfire
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Whos ridden/owned either of these?

What are they like?

portydave
    Free Member

I’ve got a banshee rune…..it is awesome! Can only imagine the spitfire is almost as good.

Dunno if that helps

chiefgrooveguru

I’m waiting for a test ride on the Spitfire. I emailed Keith (Scott – the frame designer) and he was pretty honest about how the frame would fit me riding so he’s well worth throwing some questions at. Having another look at the Mega TR now just in case I’ve wrongly overlooked it…

sharkattack

I only know that both of the new Megas look amazing and was thinking of posting a thread to see if anyone has one yet.

mmel
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the Nukeproof but I have just finished building this up. First ride tomorrow and I’m pretty excited!!!

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Nice, is that a 2013 or 14, I’m leaning towards one of those for my next bike.
    You get it from stiff? Oh and what’s it weigh in at

mmel
    Free Member

It’s a brand new 2014 frame, picked it up from Blazing Bikes in Church Stretton last Monday. They were very helpful and put up with my pestering as I waited for the stock to arrive.

My build is functional using old wheels and some other bits with an aim to upgrade as I can afford it. I haven’t weighed it but it compares to other bikes I’ve ridden in its class such as the SB66, and Bronson Al. It’s no light weight but that was never a priority for me.

My Pikes are 650b but I’ve got the bike set as a 26″ at the moment. Nice to have the option of larger wheels if the mood takes me…

deanfbm
    Free Member

Mmel – looks good. I’d be getting a blue one. Let me know how it rides today.

I’m after a reasonably efficient bike that likes to get loose and can handle big hits.

monkeyninja
    Free Member

I have had this frame since jan and it is a lot of fun, I have built it fairly strong and it can handle most trails apart from full on dh. The cane creek is easy to set up I have 2 setting one for climbing and one for descending, if I was to buy again I would get the new DBair cs, as the cs switch adds some low speed rebound and compression which is essentially what I do when I want to climb. This bike climbs really nicely given the fox van 36 and the DBair, and it descends like my dh bike with less travel. It feels really stable at speed, however the short chainstays allow it to retain a lively nimble feel.
    I was worried that it would be too long as I was used to a small meta 4x, though after 1 ride I knew this bike was gonna be fun. It jumps well and is balanced in the air, it took me a few rides to sort out my weight but once I found its sweet spot I couldn’t believe how much speed it could carry through corners…

I don’t think you would go wrong with any of the current offerings on the market today, I think I will be keeping this one for a good few years ( 650b option is also good I might try it next year to see what all the fuss is about).

If your interested email Keith the designer he is really helpful and responds to emails quickly with impartial advice.

theraggyone
    Free Member

Ive had my spitfire since may and I absolutely love it . I find it more of a short travel all mountain/enduro bike rather than a trail bike ,its built pretty burly and can take some punishment. Really really great on decents and lovely and balanced in the air , not the fastest uphill but perfectly useable I use mine for everything as its the only bike ive got room for and there is not much I would swap it for. Ive pretty much stopped looking at frames since I got this as it suits my riding perfectly

.loving this years blue frame! your bike looks sweet mmel:)

[Img]http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m634/dawes686/Uploads%20via%20Pixelpipe/2013-09-17175221.png[/img]

wheeleeneelee
    Free Member

I’ve had my Mega TR275 for a couple of weeks now and absolutely love it – just feels really comfortable on steep and rough stuff.

mmel
    Free Member

Right, back from my first outing and boy what a bike. Really impressed both with the bike, and that I just about coped with 1×10. I rode Llandegla and managed a couple of laps of the black with a tweeking pit stop in between.

Thing to note.

Pike forks and the CCDB CS, great combo, definitely believe the hype. I haven’t touched the settings on either very much, just set sag and go. The suspension works very well, easily soaks up big hits and flat landings yet still feels plush. There is a bit of bob when spinning in the saddle but the climb switch on the CCDB removes most of it. I left the forks open most of the way round.

1×10 with a narrow wide and a cluch mech is the way forward. Bit noisy to begin with but after a mile or two all was silent. Not a hint of chain drop. One negative was with the way the chain stay sits and my fairly small 32 tooth ring. I was getting a little chain slap. Might tweek the clutch up a bit to see if that helps.

Size wise I’m a smidge under 6′ and the large fits perfect. None of the back ache I’ve had on smaller frames.

Weight wise I’ve not weighed my build but I’m guessing 30 pounds plus. The bike feels solid and pedals really well so I’m not too fussed.

All in all a great afternoon, few tweeks and this bike will be a keeper!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mega TR, Banshee Spitfire’ is closed to new replies.