Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • mega stiff knobs !( on 16 new doors ) ..anyway to fix?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

helping a well off mate sort his new rather large property and the builder fitted 16 new doors with brass knobs . the problem is that they are stiff as XXXX and even I , with an ape like grip don’t find many easy to turn . several female visitors have got stuck as a result! . I’m wondering if it’s a faulty batch with over strong springs . I know people will say they’ll loosen up with use but at the mo they haven’t after 2 months . Apart from removal amd return ( pain in the butt) are there any suggestion people can offer to loosen them up ?
    on some doors i’ve left a builders grippy glove nearby !
    thanks in advance
    Bill

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sounds like a fitting issue. Does the sprung bit on the inside that turns protrude past the inside edge of the rose? If so this could be binding on the face of the door either side where they’ve been screwed back.

cheekyget
    Free Member

It could be the spindle has been cut too long so that when both handles have been screwed on its clamping …try loosing the screws on both sides …if it gets looser then the spindle needs to be cut down

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

It could be the knobs aren’t aligned properly so the shaft is binding. Loosen off the screws holding the knob to the door, both sides, and see if that helps.
    If you look at the door, edge towards you, do the knobs look level?

Or, they could be the wrong knobs for the latches.

Markie
    Free Member

As above, possibly sprung knobs and sprung latches leaving you double sprung?

chickenman

If heavy duty latches have been fitted to round sprung handles you will get this. take one handle off and unhook the return spring; refit, and see if it’s any better. If not, do the other side.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘mega stiff knobs !( on 16 new doors ) ..anyway to fix?’ is closed to new replies.