Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mega avalanche 2013
  • georgeh94
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the mega avalance for a while now and I now I think I am ready to do it in 2013. I just have a few questions. I was wondering how much entry costs and how much accommodation cost(roughly) ? And I’ve seen people saying you need a doctors note or a race licence, which is best to have? and just would like to hear of any experiences you’ve had of the whole event? Or if anyone has somme helmet cam videos or just only they have found on the Internet?
    Thanks for any help

mil0ss
    Free Member

hi mate, im also looking into doing it next year. i checked all this the other month. type in mega avalanche in google and you should get all the relevant stuff for it. youtube have a great selection of videos from this year and last year.

and what bike are you going to be doing it on?

I_Ache
    Free Member

somme helmet cam videos

I don’t think GoPro were around back then.

IA

The whole of my qualifier from a few years back;

the top of the main track in practice:

Glad I’ve done it, not sure I’d do it again? One to have done for sure though, a unique experience, but there’s better riding elsewhere.

Tips would be: ignore all the “mega bike” crap, ride what you’ve got. A DH bike is fine, and XCish bike is fine. Bike only matters if you can win it…and you’d not be asking if you thought you could.

CO2 (but don’t fly with the cartridges!) inflating a big tyre at 3000m with a mini pump aint happening fast.

If you’ve not got a good gridding, don’t worry about practising the tech singletrack too much, you’ll be in a queue. Practice the start/shortcuts off the main line instead.

crankbreaker

Would probably agree with what IA said. It’s a great experience but the riding in Alpe d’Huez isn’t as good as other places, definitely worth doing though, if nothing else for the feeling of sitting in a mass start group and hearing the crazy music going off and the tape going up!

Also agree with the ‘mega bike’ comment, as long as you’re fairly competent you’ll be fine. I did it on a 2006 Kona Coiler, couple of mates had similar (Patriot and Rocky Mountain Switch) and a couple had full DH bikes. People do it on hardtails and even saw a guy on a fatbike last year so anything is possible!

As for costs it’s relatively cheap to enter, I think we paid £110 each which gave us 7 days lift pass and entry to the DH race midweek and the main race. Accommodation isn’t too bad either you should be able to get something for around £30-£40 a night (I think the mega people do a deal for £25 a night at one of the tied hotels). Travel is the big expense though, remember to take cash for the many many toll roads if you’re driving!

hora
    Free Member

Im in and started training on the back of my 1stone weight loss.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

When do they normally announce the dates?

vertebratetom

90 euros got us 6 days pass, the race, access to the swimming pool (don’t forget your Speedos!) and free camping under the main lift station. You don’t get that sort of value in the UK!

I paid £13 (I think) for a bronze British Cycling race licence, which was worked fine for me both times I’ve done the event. I’ve tried getting doctor’s notes, but they’ve always wanted to charge me loads, so I’ve not bothered.

This site has some fairly useful info on it.

Pretty sure it’s around the same time every year – mid July.

I wrote a thing about this year’s race. I’ll see if I can dig it out.

georgeh94
    Free Member

Thanks for all advices nod links. I’m planing on using my orange five with 160mm travel. It says on http://www.megavalanche.co.uk the dates are 12th-14th

quincie
    Free Member

It says on the mega website you need full body armor and all that jazz, you guys agree?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Full Face mandatory
    Elbows were but never checked
    Not sure about spine protection
    Knee/shin advisable to say the least 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Equipment
    Compulsory: full face helmet, long gloves, elbow pads
    Strongly recommanded: knee pads, long sleeve jersey.

From http://www.activeglobal.com/off-road-cycling/alpe-d-huez-france/semaine-de-la-megavalanche-alpe-d-huez-2012 Entry Site normally opens in January sometime

kimbers

id recommend spine protection

youll crash at some point over the week and the terrain is unforgiving

maybe look at vpd type stuff for less bulk

mil0ss
    Free Member

bought my ticket! cant wait! now ive just gotta get my bike sorted…

oliverd1981
    Free Member

My freinds are all going but I have to say the idea of going to a perfectlly peaceful resort the same weekend as a couple of thousand extra lunatics and doing a race is in no way my idea of a riding holiday.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mega avalanche 2013’ is closed to new replies.