Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Meeting of the Megas, Saturday 23rd between Hayfield and Jacob's Ladder
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

I promised the other owner I’d post the pic here for him:

Liftman

Nice colour co ordination between the owner and his bike. 😆

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

How’s the bike working out for you? Do you find it obviously harder to manual with the long chainstay length?

Cheers.

theboatman
    Free Member

Pre mega

😉

JohnnyPanic

More pics, impressions, ride report etc please. Even if only so we can scoff at the yellow bits 🙂

Deveron53
    Free Member

Well, personally I now feel very confident on a lot more trails. My 2007 575 with 140mm Revs was good but I still felt a bit out of my depth on some rocky downhills. Also, the Mega climbs way better. Less nose lift and I now run a 50mm stem versus 90mm on the Yeti. Mega is 3lbs heavier… Same tyres, wheels are now Flows instead of Crests.
    Geometry feels a bit odd at first (my other bike is a hybrid) but after a few pedal revolutions you get into it. Back end is really stiff. Monarch shock has a 3-position switch but I use it fully open for all except tarmac/hard smooth trails, much less bob than RP23 when climbing. When on steep/rocky stuff I only drop the saddle about 2cm from optimum pedalling height. I have a Titec Berserker saddle which allows an easy rearward weight shift.
    I love it!

BadlyWiredDog

So do they come originally with an RP23 and you’ve fitted a Monarch?

roddi18
    Free Member

No they come with a monarch as standard.

BadlyWiredDog

So the bob comparison between shocks might just be down to the respective rear suspension systems rather than the actual shock? So basically the bike doesn’t bob much, weighs three pounds more than a 575, needs a shorter stem, feels a bit odd for the first few pedal revolutions, allows you to ride downhill with only a 2cm drop in saddle height and ‘the back end is really stiff’ – is that in the sense of lateral stiffness or is the rear end just set up very firm? I guess more experienced riders may understand all that, but I’m a little confused by it all. Could you rephrase it in a less technical way?

thv3
    Free Member

🙁 Currently at work waiting to go home and get started on building this……

Gonna be a long night.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Back end is laterally stiff. I believe it’s because of the steep seat angle and the rest of the geometry that I’m able to get down some quite gnarly slopes without dropping my seat more than 2cm. I’m able to get my weight back quite effectively. The downhill saddle helps as it is quite long.
    Basically, it’s better than my 2007 575 at going up and going down and that’s despite a 3lb weight gain (heavier forks, frame and wheels). Other factors could be the 160mm Lyrik coil, it’s an awesome fork!

Deveron53
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog, were you on Cutgate heading North on 29th/30th April? Well, that weekend… Maybe the Friday. Me and Mrs Deveron53 chatted to a rider on a Ragley Ti at the bridge at Langsett…

BadlyWiredDog

Yeah, that rings a bell. You were riding, erm, not a Mega, oh, yeah, a 575
    Hello. 🙂

Was that the Royal Wedding Day?

I have seen another Mega, fella from New Mills on the Roych with a broken chain. I gave him a spare quick-link and we had a brief chat, so that makes three of you.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Hi! 😀 I had a nosey at your blog and had a remembering. It seems that there are only about 100 mountain bikers in the UK and they’re all on STW.
    It was the Royal Wedding Day, I haven’t been back on Cutgate since!

JohnnyPanic

Cheers for that deveron. 3lbs heavier but how much alltogether?

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

OMG

Deveron53
    Free Member

All up weight now just over 32lb. And to think, I got my 575 down to just over 26lb at one point! I had a mad month, went all weight-weenie and then changed my mind and went sensible!

BadlyWiredDog

You read my blog? Gawd help you – I didn’t realise anyone did that. And Gawd bless the Royal couple for getting wed on such a perfect day. I bet they regret not having been out on their bikes now.

Anyway, glad you’re enjoying the Mega, Brant’s geometry really does work doesn’t it.

I’m off to my LBS to explain the difference between English and Italian bottom brackets…

amodicumofgnar

Thats only between Hayfield and Jacobs ladder if your going via Glossop.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Still tempted by one of these. Not seen any in the classified yet either which is a good sign!

BadlyWiredDog

Thats only between Hayfield and Jacobs ladder if your going via Glossop.

I was going to point that out, but it seemed pointlessly picky so I sat on my hands until the urge to post subsided…

Eventually, with the trend towards ever widening handlebars, bridges like that will become unrideable. I’m already barely able to squeeze through that one below the lay-by near Taxal. I’m guessing that the trend towards ever larger riders will have similar results and trigger a frenzy of bridge-widening work. Or maybe not.

MussEd
    Free Member

Mundiesmaster was trying to sell his after a week?

That raw/silver build in progress with Ti bombers looks braw. However, all the black and yellow at the top is trying too hard IMO esp. the riding gear. Looks like he even painted the exposed bits of his lower legs yellow!

boxxer7
    Free Member

I received mine on Monday, and built it up over Tuesday afternoon and first Impressions were very good over the quality, head tube and BB had been faced welds look good.

Took it to the LBS and had the headset fitted, then set about putting the wheels on and it went a little bit pear shaped from there the rear RWS axle didn’t do up into the drop out, took the drop out off and tried off the bike still kept binding. I ordered another drop out from CRC and received it the next morning in hope that the drop out was the problem…..but it wasn’t. Phoned up Hotlines and they said send the frame back! 😡 No chance been waiting long enough and the headset had been fitted along with other bits.

Ended up having to tap the correct thread onto the RWS axle, as it was different!

Any way rant over!

Got it built up and did a 12mile ride yesterday, Very mixed XC loop, (hills, road, dirt tracks, short DH). Its a strange ride to begin with it feels quite long (which it is for a am) but it has a small cockpit as Im running a 50mm stem. So you sit quite far forward, the back end is very stiff ( laterally ). It pedals great, Ive come from a cove stiff FR so I was expecting some compromise but I am really happy I’ve been running pro pedal leaver in the middle, I haven’t got a problem manualing or doing wheelie despite the relatively long wheel base unlike some of my previous DH bikes i have had in the past.

All in all first ride impressions were good just need to get out on some rougher terrain now and give it a beasting.

Anyway heres a picture sorry about the crappy iPhone quality will get others if anyones interested.

Dave.

Yes i know the hoses need trimming and my front mech hasn’t arrived yet 😀

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Meeting of the Megas, Saturday 23rd between Hayfield and Jacob's Ladder’ is closed to new replies.