Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Meet Zeki and Scotland
  • matt_outandabout

I met Zeki twice, as part of my work. The first time I don’t remember much. He was really shy, particularly in light of his dyslexia and other challenges. He couldn’t read and write well, despite being a secondary pupil. In fact, you could describe him as bordering on illiterate, and due to this he couldn’t speak in public, certainly not read a script or information.
    He bumped into a well known bushcraft celebrity who told him to learn to read and write – so Zeki could ID plants.
    A year later Zeki delivered a 15 minute presentation to over 100 teachers, me included, and reduced the room to tears as he summarised the power that nature held over him, his understanding and enjoyment of wild places, how the motivation he needed didn’t come from a Literacy test or being told to do his best – it came from one person inspiring him, and realising that he can make a life based on learning about and sharing a passion for nature and places.

I’ve just watched this film he has made – and find myself in awe of how far he has come in less than five years. Go Zeki, you should be our next David Attenborough.

[video]http://vimeo.com/193034427[/video]

km79
    Free Member

Nice film, I enjoyed watching. He could have a bright future in nature TV.

BenjiM

After watching the Islands program tonight and reminiscing about staying at Glengarrisdale bothy many moons ago, this was great to watch tonight. Thanks for posting 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Meet Zeki and Scotland’ is closed to new replies.