Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Meditation…..ummmmmmmmm……..anyone here a practitioner?
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

Need to change my view of the world, and my place in it.

CBT is an option, but someone suggested this as a consideration.

I'm prepared for some level of piss-take, but I'm ready to rise above it (the transcendental method?).

Anyway, interested to hear of the benefits

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Did some months Yoga with meditation a while ago. Used to come home, make a sandwich and then get VERY INTERESTED in the AMAZING texture and patterns in the bread. Took a while to eat, too…

Personally, getting involved in arguments on this forum is more likely to change your "worldview", IMHO.

MrWoppit
    Free Member
    grynch
    Free Member

mrs and I just started a "mindfulness" stress relief/meditation program two weeks ago.. it's a bit early to report on any real benefits but it is certainly relaxing.

40+ mins per day tho isn't easy to find.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Great links, chaps.
    I'll check them out in more detail at home later.
    Thank you.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I ? meditating!

It certainly beats sitting around doing nothing…

toys19
    Free Member

I meditate all the time, read all the books, done a course – like many other things its surrounded in cloud of BS. It's fundamentally excellent and you only need to know how to do one thing:

When you are breathing, concentrate on becoming aware of the moment when you change from breathing in to breathing out, and vice versa. When you've got that sussed and practise every day for 15 mins your life will change in inestimable ways. It's not magic or spiritual, you will just start to notice things and do things differently. Of course you coudl go on to embrace all the BS and do courses and listen to some new age crap, but its all crap, just meditate.

iDave
    Free Member

i think for what you what to achieve NLP or CBT would be better

if you empty your mind what will you fill the space with afterwards?

nicko74

I'm going on a 'learn to meditate' course this weekend, actually. Great minds, eh? I figure if it's a skill that I pick up sufficiently to know how to do it then that'll do fine.

Strangely, CBT is another thing I'm thinking of doing, but I have yet to find a mate who's also keen

epicsteve
    Free Member

My wife is doing the "mindfulness" stuff as well and seems to find it useful.

Gilles

I had a friend used to meditate daily. I then realised it was like a drug as each time he was not able to meditate, he was very distressed and behaving like a manic. So I believe there is a kind of addiction somehow, so not sure I will encourage people to do it.

roper
    Free Member

Meditation can be very helpful or it can be just a nice thing to do.
    It would be a good idea to choose where or with who you learn carefully. Most should be free or voluntary payment. Don't expect miracles and remember whoever is teaching is nothing special. I would say ask as many questions as you want and don't do anything you feel uncomfortable with.

There are lots of different styles and types to suit all people. Maybe have a look at Zazen?

Coasting
    Free Member

I find some gentle yoga and meditation work really well.Great for the body and mind

Keva
    Free Member

I like to spend 30-40mins relaxing and stretching three or four times a week. sometimes in the morning when I get up or in the evening. Not really meditation but kind of revitalising.

Kev

tang
    Free Member

ive been meditating most of my life and lived as a monk for a few years(family thing). my meditation does have a goal tho and a teacher to guide me. meditation as a tool for centering ones self and relaxing daily is a good thing. ive found that reflection and sorting out whats in your head is helped no end by some form of support, regular contact. sometimes we need to talk to see the wood for the trees! riding bikes for me is a great space to clear ones head and see things clearly.
    a friend used to run wilderness retreats where you spent 3 days on your own in the wild with food and a fire. come back to the small group, share etc. act on it through the year then comeback and do it again, see how things are. mindful space away from the daily grind can do wonders.
    really good luck to you!

chewkw
    Free Member

Meditated for 2 weeks which was fine but I guess most of the time I just drifted into dreamland …

The first week was difficult but after that I could sit for more than an hour but then I wasn't sure if I was asleep or in dreamland.

Trying to remain focus is the hardest as the mind keeps playing up with all sorts.

Will try again in near future.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Meditation…..ummmmmmmmm……..anyone here a practitioner?’ is closed to new replies.