Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Meditation
  • Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Anyone use meditation as part of their everyday life?

properbikeco
    Free Member

trying mindspace at the moment to help me through some difficult times – not sure if I’ll do it long term but can help bring about some calm

lunge

Yeah, I use Head Space and like it a lot.

thepurist

Yes, but more a short mindful minute than a longer period. You can just take a few seconds to just check in with yourselw. I’m suffering a lot of sciatic pain at the mo and it’s a useful tool to stop the default reaction and actually look at things properly.

ampthill

I did for maybe 6 years daily

then stopped

now getting back to it

I think can be very beneficial

bigyim
    Free Member

Downloaded the headspace app but haven’t got round to trying it out yet.
    Heard alot of good research regarding meditation

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I go through periods of meditating yes. Was very into it a few years ago and have started again this past year . I like it a lot but have never used any apps. Just some simple exercises . Do you have a reason why you want to start?

MoreCashThanDash

Tried the headspace app and supposed to be using mindfulness as part of a course of CBT to help me deal with a few issues.

Once I get the physical calm and relaxation, the chatter in my head just takes over, so I’m clearly not doing something right. Plus finding 15 minutes of quiet in this house is pretty tough.

Quite a few tips and suggestions on some of my threads back in the summer.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

No matter what day I’ve had when I hit the sack, a dab of Tiger balm under the nose and this on the headphones:

[video]http://youtu.be/s–IkNqI9og[/video]

Haven’t done proper meditation/pranayama for years but the above method is similar- I find it remarkably effective. Somewhere between relaxation and meditation.

kaiser
    Free Member

Yes ..currently meditating twice daily ( 2 X 20 min sessions ) been doing it on and off for over 20yrs
    helps massively with anxiety/restlessness and over active mind. At first you’ll only be aware of the constant internal chatter/aches etc but as long as you keep coming back to a point of focus whenever you notice you’re daydreaming you are making progress and things will quieten down.
    TBH best thing I’ve ever discovered . You don’t do meditation ….meditation does you!
    Google mindfulness of breathing ( simple technique but very effective ) and persevere.

kaiser
    Free Member

BTW “insight timer” is a fantastic app enabling you to choose bell sounds/intervals etc to aid the meditation + loads of guided meditations for newbies and experienced practitioners alike . get the paid version ..costs so little and really good . I use it everyday.

butcher

It’s kind of like riding a bike, I find. You begin with zero motivation to actually do it…..but by the time you get back you’re glad you did, and feel much better for it.

It’s something I need to get back to.

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, I did it continuously for 2 weeks during one hot summer few years back trying to solve a problem.

I could easily mediate for 3 hours but 2 of those hours I spent falling asleep and 30 mins spent trying to calm the mind … 😆

I follow the middle path traditional way of meditation by focusing on breathing in and out.

However, I find my monkey minds too hectic to calm down and it has never been subdued .

I will start meditation again in future but this time I will do it properly …

Oh ya … be strong or you will loose your mind if not careful.

😀

sirromj

Talking of hectic monkey minds… yesterday I listened to ‘All Tomorrows Parties’ by Velvet Underground and that damn ear worm munched into my mind for hours and hours until I got up 3am but that didn’t stop it, went back to bed 5am and back up at 8am after some sleep, munch munch munch..

fasthaggis

Anyone use meditation as part of their everyday life?

Yes

It’s kind of like riding a bike, I find

spot on Butcher.

I have an idyllic commute,it’s meditation and mindfulness all rolled in to one.

kaiser
    Free Member

Meditation: “it’s not what you think” 😉

convert

I’ve tried it a few times – instant response is to fall asleep. I feel this probably indicates my main issue in life is sleep deprivation.

growinglad
    Free Member

I have an idyllic commute,it’s meditation and mindfulness all rolled in to one.

^^ This.

Miles are my meditation. (Borrowed from somewhere else).

Doesn’t matter how crap my day has been (generally they are pretty good, but working in IT always throws up a few curve balls).

By the time I get home…nice clear head.

thepurist

MCTD I think you’ve got a few misconceptions about meditation. First off its not the same as relaxation, you’re doing it to wake yourself up to what’s actually happening. Second the chatter is always there, accept it as fact, see what it’s about then go back to your focus. Third there’s no problem if you fall asleep, accept that as what happened that time and don’t beat yourself up about it. Finally there’s no right way to do it, just do it and see what happens. That all sounds like a load of woo but the fact is that meditation is about seeing what’s going on in you, not conforming to somebody else’s rules about what you should be doing. Accepting what’s happening right now without judging is part of mindfulness.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. I’ve started an eight week meditation “mindfulness” course to help with my CFS which as troubled me for 18months. I’m on week five and I’ve a two bike rides in two weeks. More than I’ve done in the past 18months so it’s powerful stuff! I tried meditation 6months ago but I wasn’t ready I guess. It’s been a true revelation. I’d like it to be part of my life forever.

ampthill

daisy what is your course based on?

kudos100
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. I’ve started an eight week meditation “mindfulness” course to help with my CFS which as troubled me for 18months. I’m on week five and I’ve a two bike rides in two weeks. More than I’ve done in the past 18months so it’s powerful stuff! I tried meditation 6months ago but I wasn’t ready I guess. It’s been a true revelation. I’d like it to be part of my life forever.

Meditation is great and highly recommended for chronic illnesses such as CFS. Once you have a bit more stamina, something like tai chi or qi gong is probably better in the long term or to complement your meditation.

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Apologies for the negativity but this is a genuine question. I’ve repeatedly tried guided mindfulness meditation but can’t get past the little voice in the back of my head that says ‘this is utter tie dyed piffle’.

I’m a reasonably open minded and tolerant bloke and I’ve read the research and know I’d probably benefit from it. I’ve even selected a reputable and qualified source in a bid to get it past my, admittedly highly tuned, inner bullsh*t filters. I just can’t bring myself to keep at it.

Clearly I’m missing something, anyone have any tips on getting this past my inner scepticism?

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Clearly I’m missing something, anyone have any tips on getting this past my inner scepticism

Thepurist summary on meditiation is pretty spot on,acceptance and observation is the key.
    Your inner sceptic’s purpose is to stop you from meditating,these parts of our personality are not too keen on being observed as it takes away there influence over you.
    You can’t get past them,they are part of you,by observing and accepting they eventually go quiet.
    Whenever your distracted just bring your focus back to the breath.
    There are various ways to maintain the focus,counting breaths is one,focusing on the passage of air at your nostrils is the one i use.
    Find out which one suits you.
    Meditiation is a disiplined excercise in concentration that requires effort.

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Your inner sceptic’s purpose is to stop you from meditating,these parts of our personality are not too keen on being observed as it takes away there influence over you.

I hope that my goal isn’t to eliminate my inner skeptic completely, it makes me good at my job. I’d not want to lose it completely, finding the off switch woul dbe handy though

kaiser
    Free Member

In my experience your inner wisdom and insight will become stronger as you practice and you’ll find a lot of our thoughts are a complete waste of time. As B64 said above so succinctly ..the mind doesn’t want you to quieten it and so will give you all sorts of reason/excuses not to do it . You have to ignore that and persevere.In a way the act of sitting still and doing very little apart from focusing on whatever object/experience you choose is the opposite of what we do most of the time . We are addicted to “doing” and most have forgotten the deep rest and nourishment available that comes from just “being”. Sounds Hippy Drippy but it really does work . Another result is that you begin to feel more content as well as becoming a nicer person so everyone benefits. Look how happy and contented the majority of practicing buddhists are ( rather than those that worship the buddha and see him as a God rather than a teacher)

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Thanks for this, sort of makes sense from what I know about .

Today I am starting again giving this a proper go, this mornings session (or whatever it’s called) felt much better and less critical, no less busy yet but definately less critical. I realise the more I meditate the quieter my head will get.

Perhaps it’s the change of timing.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

the little voice in the back of my head that says ‘this is utter tie dyed piffle

Has it got a name?

scandal42
    Free Member

My Mrs is having a tough time with work and life plans, it raises it’s head at least once a month, is it possible to do it together?

Think it may be a good way of relaxing her mind and getting away from the distractions and normality of staring at a tablet etc.

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

the little voice in the back of my head that says ‘this is utter tie dyed piffle

Has it got a name? [/quote]

Seriously yes.

He’s called Kevin and for the past 20 odd years he’s been dripping poison in my ear to the point where, amongst other less palatable things, I end up completely changing my circle of friends every year or two through no fault of theirs.

Kevin is a royal pain in the ar5e but his super critical eye is extremely helpful at work.

Probably the weirdest ‘overshare’ you’ll hear today 😆

Giving him a name helps somehow.

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

is it possible to do it together?

I assume so although quietening one mind is enough of a challenge for me.

kaiser
    Free Member

many find meditating with others is even more beneficial . just be aware that initially it’ll be a frustrating experience ( probably )and you’ll think you’re getting nowhere but persevere and things will quieten down . the effect is very subtle but powerful . it’s rather similar to a small amount of perfume … subtle…. but the effect lingers all day.
    I’d suggest joining a beginners meditation class run by one of the many buddhist groups throughout the country ..there’s bound to be one near you and they tend to be good people .
    Another option is to buy a book called ” the calm technique”
    it’s a really easy read and introduced me to meditation . I also know of a scandinavian thai forest monk ( well known throughout the world) who started his practice after reading the same
    HTH

cudubh

I am hoping that some meditation might help with my depression. It is not as bad as it has been at the moment so am hoping that meditation might be beneficial and alleviate the need to go back onto the antidepressants. Is there some online resource anybody could recommend for getting started? I had a Google and got the expected gazillion results so was hoping for some first hand experience.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

^^^ Google Mindfulness in Plain English,free pdf.

MoreCashThanDash

That pdf is good

The Headspace app is quite good, and my CBT adviser recommended the Calm app. These, and CBT, kept my anti-depressants in the box on the top shelf, while I found the time and courage to start to deal with the root cause.

cudubh

Thanks guys. I did download the mindfulness app a little while back but was a little underwhelmed. Maybe committing to the paid version would get me more. Will definitley give the Mindfulness in Plain English pdf a go. It looks good. I will try the Calm app too.

velosam
    Free Member

The other app to try is buddify. I must confess I started this a few days ago but am struggling to find any sort of calm. I think I need to preserve.

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

It’s great, takes a bit of effort, but you can quickly see ‘progression’. Me and the other half have been doing it on and off for years – very beneficial. Do it.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Meditation’ is closed to new replies.