• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by dazh.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Medicaltrackworld – 3 weeks of headaches and now dizzy spells
  • MoreCashThanDash

So, 3 weeks ago started to get niggling headaches, mainly bridge of nose/cheekbones/forehead/temples, which I put down to sinuses. Never really needed painkillers, just a dull niggle.

Last Friday evening I had a strange dizzy turn – without the aid of alcohol – for an hour. Completely coherent, just slightly unbalanced, a bit faint and nauseous. Was fine the rest of the weekend, even the headaches eased.

Monday at work, had another dizzy turn, went to the docs. He couldn’t see any sign of sinus problems or infection in my ears to affect my balance, told me I was run down and a bit stressed and suggested sleeping tablets.

Took a couple of days off to try and shake it off, went back to work today still with the nagging headaches, and had another dizzy spell again. This time while sat down, so presumably not triggered by movement.

So, anyone had anything similar? Do I go back to doctors again? Don’t want to be wasting their time or turn into a hypochondriac but not convinced by the stress theory. I’m rather concerned at the random dizzy episodes, especially in case I get one while I’m driving.

Any more time off work may trigger a formal attendance warning as I had 2-3 days off last May when my back went, so now maybe stress is becoming a factor…..

Drac

Off to the Dr’s you go and really you’ve had about 3 days off in the last year is that all? Tell work to do one.

somouk
    Free Member

My mom had a similar build up of symptoms and was diagnosed with Diabetes in the end, the dizzy turns were her blood sugar levels dropping.

Off to the docs again for sure.

MoreCashThanDash

Cheers drac – just glad you haven’t identified the early stages of ebola from my rambling symptons!

5 days so far sick – 3 for the back, 2 so far with this, 8 days triggers a non-negotiable attendance improvement meeting with representation on both sides. Life in the cushy public sector that some on here like to bleat about…..

Drac

Attendance meeting is nothing is just a discussion to see what they can do to help and if it’s anything at work. We call them stage 1 and it’s triggered after 3 episodes of sickness in 12 months.

MoreCashThanDash

I’d wondered about diabetes, was given the all clear last year on my over 40s MOT. Would that account for the headaches as well maybe?

I’ve had some low level migraines in the last couple of years, with squiggles and a bit of dizziness before the headaches kick in – can you have a 3 week migraine?

MoreCashThanDash

drac – civil service has raised it’s game, a couple of genuine colleagues have come out with formal letters about improvement, simply because that is what the new system requires. Line managers hate it.

I’ll happily tell them to do one, my health is way more important.

thejesmonddingo

You have had your blood pressure checked,haven’t you?

MoreCashThanDash

Blood pressure got checked when I went at the beginning of the week – considering my white coat phobia, 134/86 was pretty good for me! Especially having walked half a mile up the hill to the surgery.

ThePinkster

Yes, diabetes can result in headaches. This is often a symptom of low blood sugar when you body starts to compensate for it by using glycogen (IIRC) from the liver.

Side effects can be very much like a bad hangover but with out he fun of getting there. This most commonly occurs at night though when the hypo strikes in your sleep.

I’ve had it happen a few times over the years – been a type 1 diabetic for the last 38 years.

Could it be stress related? Some of your symptoms sound similar.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Bloke at work had been saying he was getting niggly headaches but he ‘didn’t do Doctors or sick’. He dropped down dead on the football pitch 4 weeks ago from a massive brain hemmorrhage, aged 49.
    Just saying like.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Get yourself down to the docs. At least you’ll have their opinion to tell them in your meeting.

I had all sorts of stuff kick in when I worked for the local council and had 3 days off sick in a year. The last was me blacking out in the bogs and smashing my head on the pan as I went down. Got sent home (on my bike) and had the next day off. On return I had a meeting which then turned into a hearing which turned into having to go to occur health for about 6 months. All this while undergoing loads of tests to see why I was going dizzy all the time. For the 6 occupational health appointments I had to go to I must have had 20 letters none of which explained why I was supposed to be going to see them just 2 pages outlining the disciplinary repercussions of not attending. Including a couple of hundred quid per appointment being taken from my wages. At no point in the entire saga did anyone actually ask me how I felt. The occupational health was a total waste if time because I was still undergoing hospital tests so had nothing to tell them. Eventually even the occupational health woman said it was a waste of her time and mine and that I didn’t need to go again.

natrix
    Free Member

When was the last time that you visited the opticians?? 8) The opticians in Tesco near us do a sight test & optical health check for a tenner…

MoreCashThanDash

Eye tests all up to date, doesn’t seem to matter if I have my glasses or lenses in.

Headaches only kick in once I’m up and about, fine first thing. Also seem to ease off when I’m riding, which is handy.

Probably a bit more stressed than usual, but nothing earth shattering. Except I keep getting dizzy spells, they are starting to stress me out a bit.

essel has at least set my mind at rest, I was really worried it might be a brain eating alien parasite!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Go to the Docs.

Diabetes usually only leads to headaches if your blood sugar goes too low
    This only happens if you are already diagnosed and on Insulin or some tablets.

Us quacks are no longer allowed by the GMC to give specific advice about problems on forums. But I’d consider this a legit reason for seeing a Doc.

totalshell

stress and tiredness takes a couple of weeks to go.. just got over my latest bout.

if i stay up till the wee hours for two or three days on the trot and work all day i have the same symptoms you ve described. dr prescribed something for the vertigo symptoms gave me some excercises told to rest and bingo it slowly goes away..

MoreCashThanDash

totalshell – that’s interesting. Was yours vertigo? As I understand it vertigo is where the world spins round you, in my case I just feel faint and slightly distant

Was your dizziness enough to affect your work or driving?

footflaps

May I be the first to suggest Cat Aids?

dmorts

Did you happen to have headaches this time last year? Cluster headaches go with the change in seasons

Dolcered

Off to the docs with you. Viral labyrinthitis gave me similar symptoms. Built up over a week when I felt vaguely faint and slightly dizzy. Escalated to extreme motion sickness. Banned from driving. Couldn’t read. Couldn’t look down or to the right.
    Only time I felt normal was being a passenger in a moving car.

MoreCashThanDash

Not aware it is seasonal. Labyrinthitis was what the internet suggested.

Surprised Cat Aids was so late in the thread

dazh

some excercises told to rest and bingo it slowly goes away..

I’d never considered bingo to be a cure for stress. I might give that a try. *goes off to buy some dobbers* 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Medicaltrackworld – 3 weeks of headaches and now dizzy spells’ is closed to new replies.