Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • medical…. steriod injections…how many is a safe amount ????
  • catnap
    Free Member

i’ll cut this short….
    i have rhumatoid athritis and have for 11 years..only in my early 40’s and i have my knees drained every few months to releive the pressure and to free up some movement in the joint. along with the drain they inject both my knees with cortisone steroid, through injections.

my question is… ive proberbly had around 5 to 6 injections in knees and my back every year for 11 years..
    …what damage am i doing to myself ?, as ive heard that ex footballers have real trouble after the same treatment in the bad old days.
    i must say although ive had it done today yet again,
    ive now switched onto methotrexate by self injection to slowdown the rate of inflamation in my joints..

meehaja
    Free Member

Its not ideal, but the alternative is worse IMO. I think sportsmen suffered as they didn’t have significant damage when it was given and are left with associated scar tissue?

voodoo_chile

Tommy smith, most of the older footy players had them every week to get them through games when clubs would play 50 odd games a season with 12 or 13 players…stay away

anagallis_arvensis

I’m having one in my hip soon. Can someone give me a run down on risks and benefits?

transapp
    Free Member

Possible early onset osteoperosis, and damage to the joint caused by stuffing the needle in. However, if your knees are like mine, the alternative is not being able to walk, so I’d take the side effects! Hurts like f ing crazy doesn’t it?!

transapp
    Free Member

Benifits to me are totally reduced swelling, complete movement again and they last (in my case) 3+ years. Normally illness that prevents me from riding / training brings it on.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Hmmm….feel your pain to some extent. Misdiagnosed with Psioratic Arthritis a few years ago, and Methotrexate was a treatment option. Happily not the case, and recovered pretty well.

aa – I had three injections in my knee over six months or so. The final one “took” and I haven’t needed one since (about 8 years ago now). If I remember, the general advice at the time was not more than one per quarter.

Summary, Cortisone worked for me, but nothing like the dosage the OP had.

anagallis_arvensis

I’ll give it a lash then. Had 3 ops so far, injection may put off the fourth. They and I do not want to go down the replacement route at 38. Having said that I’ve not ridden my bike for 5 years. Miss it like hell, dreamt the whole route up Blease fell, lonnscale fell and down Latrigg last night, it was great!

MrGreedy

Can’t comment on the long term risks, but I will say that the steroid injection I had in my knee after tearing my MCL was without doubt the most excruciating pain I have ever felt in my life. I hope for your sake that in my case it was just down to the dodgy locum GP’s bad technique, otherwise I truly pity you for having to put up with so many!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘medical…. steriod injections…how many is a safe amount ????’ is closed to new replies.