• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by spw3.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Medical question – fluid/bruising.
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Had an off the other weekend and landed heavily my hip. Lots of swelling and a big (hand sized) purple bruise appeared on the outside top of my thigh over the next few days. A bit stiff but basically mobile and i'm still riding.

What's odd is the 'swelling' that still remains 9 days later – i've still got a 'half orange' sized soft lump on my hip that seems to be filled with some sort of fluid. I can press it and it moves and returns slowly (like a memory foam matress). Is this anything to worry about and is there anything i should be taking to get rid of it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its probably a heamatoma – a collection of blood under the skin / in the muscle ( but it could be other things) Is it bruise colour? Does it hurt?

Take it to the docs if it bothers you or does not reduce inn size or is painful.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

It's not discoloured – the purple bruise is much lower down – and it's not particularly painful but I can't lie on that side at the moment.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

One of our lot once got something like that and had to have it cut open and drained. He often enjoyed showing off his scar afterwards. The lump was full of fluid, not blood

nickegg
    Free Member

Go to the bloody doctor FFS! Why would you wait 9 days with something like that?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

clear fluid – collection of lymph then.

It will probably reabsorb over time – but not always. The danger is that it becomes infected. Sometimes they do need to be drained. If it is not reducing after 9 days then I'd be tempted to take it to the gp

Nick – cos not everyone like to bother the docs with trivia?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

FWIW I had a similar fall a few years back. The lump did go down eventually but I did start having knee problems when riding and especially walking downhill. After a physio recommended some stretches it slowly began to get better, but most long rides caused some grief. To cut this long and boring story short, the damage to the side of my hip had shortened whatever muscles they are running down the outside of my leg which caused the pulling – and discomfort – across the side of my knee.

just a friendly warning – and reassurance – in case you start getting knee pain. It all seems fine now 😀

ianv
    Free Member

Heamatoma most probably, no big deal and it will go away eventually. I impaled myself over 2 weeks ago and i still have the big lump and expect to have it for a bit longer. The purple bruise is some of the blood dissipating.

As long as the blood does not become infected it will be back to normal eventually.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Nothing was broken, I was mobile – likely would sort out by itself (as most things do) and it can take a week to get to see a GP anyway.

Will go up to the minor injuries clinic today and have it looked at….

thanks all.

DrP

I'd agree with haematoma. If you were to stand long enough on your head after the crash, the bruis would be above the lump 😉

Other than haematoma, it could just be what's called a 'reactive effusion' – essentially a collection of lubricating fluid that can occur in/around joints (and muscle tendon sheaths) after damage to the area. Acts like a cushion really.

It should go down, but as has been said, haematomas can rarely become infected and then become painful and hot and likely more swollen. In that case it'll need to be treated.

DrP

qwerty
    Free Member

i think its highly likely that upon impact you became host to one of these little pests:

which will, unless vaporised grow into this beastie:

fortunately for you i have a vaporiser that will suit your particular extraction, please PayPal me £1500.00 (email in profile) and i can manage your infestation via the phone

Woody
    Free Member

As above, it should go down with time. A mate of mine landed on a stump at soem speed, left from clearing some bushes at Penshurst (at the bottom of the steep hill near start of original course) and had a lump for a few months.

When it happened I thought he had impaled himself. Luckily I managed to compose myself and kept on filming. Well, he wasn't moving or going anywhere fast, so it seemed the right thing to do 😆

TimP
    Free Member

Was just wondering about a very similar injury myself, except I have been left with what is very obviously fluid collected in a hand sized patch on my hip. It is a bit like Homer's belly in that it just keeps on wobbling! Mine is 13 days old and was wondering about a trip to docs to see if it need draining

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Nurse had a look and confirmed not a problem and should go away. Presribed me Anti-Biotics to take if it does become infected (harder, sorer and redder) – very nice to be treated like an adult over the medication.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

simon – that is becoming more and more the accepted practice with antibiotics as it saves another visit and the research shows that less antibiotics are taken under those circumstances. Whoda thunk it eh?

DrP

"Power to the patients….." 😉

DrP

spw3

It's a liquidising haematoma. If you feel fine and don't have a temperature over 37.5 don't worry.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Medical question – fluid/bruising.’ is closed to new replies.