Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Medical Question – Elderly Mother in Law – Broken Femur
  • BigJohn

I think I know the answer, probably involves buying a black tie, but it would be helpful to understand what might happen.

The mother in law is in her 80s, very frail, takes mountains of tablets every day, but we have always felt it important for her to stay in her own home (equipped with aids like a lifeline alarm, stairlift etc) because that gave her a purpose in life and all the getting up and shuffling about making a cuppa and meals kept her active. Whenever she’s been ill and had to spend a couple of weeks in hospital she has tended to stagnate, not move around etc. and goes into a decline.

Last night we had a call – she had broken her leg. Not sure of the details but Mrs BJ went into A&E and confirmed it is a spiral fracture of the femur. They’ll be deciding what to do today. I don’t know whether it’s near hip or knee.

I’m sure she’s not strong enough for surgery and while nobody’s ever said what some of her ailments are, the fact that she has to have a transfusion every month and takes Exjade can’t be a good thing. Chest infections are something she gets a lot.

Do we have any reason to expect a positive outcome?

wwaswas

there’s some info on mortality and morbidity following hip fracture here;

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/825363-overview

which is fairly sobering.

My gran broke her thigh in her 80’s and made a full recovery – I think gaining mobility quickly and keeping active were key factors for her – as you say, any long periods of being in bed lead to further complications.

I think the short answer is that everyone is different and that there’s always hope that people will make a good recovery at any age.

I’m not a medical person but have broken my hip so I’ve read a bit about that area.

Anyway, I hope things go well for her.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmm

The medics will almost certainly have to attempt a surgical repair. It can be done under a spinal block anaesthetic if she is too frail for a general. Its usually the only possible treatment

Recovery is normally ok but given what you say I would think her chances of regaining enough mobility to return home will be low.

so – odds of surviving – reasonable, odds of making it home again – low

However that is only an informed guess

BigJohn

Thanks for that, it sounds like the immediate situation isn’t as grim as I may have thought.

project
    Free Member

Just be aware of clinically based infections setting in, thats what happened to my dad.

If you see a nurse or dr not washing their hands tell them as its easier to wash your hands than get rid of a clinically aquired infection when youre old.

Always use the hand gels as well.

jond
    Free Member

One thing to keep an eye on with hospitals/staff – judging by both my stepfather and an aunt – is that re meals, if the patients don’t feel like eating and aren’t compelled or aided to eat, the food’s taken away, uneaten. Certainly in my stepfather’s case he lost a lot of weight in the several months he was there after breaking a hip. He’d already lost interest in doing things to a degree and had parkinsons, but the stay in hospital really put him on a slippery slope IMO.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Medical Question – Elderly Mother in Law – Broken Femur’ is closed to new replies.