Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Mediaserver battery drain – android
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Anyone know how I can get this bloody mediaserver thing to stop draining my battery? Got an S7 edge, 4 months old. Took phone off charge at 9am and by midday, with medium usage, I’m down to 62% – the battery usage info says this is mostly down to mediaserver.

Any ideas? Am totally technologically inept, the only computer I have access to is my work Macbook air.

Twodogs

Can you force stop it in the apps list in settings?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Nope, not listed 🙁

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Dropped 3% in 5 mins – phone has been turned off and one twice since I noticed ht excessive battery drain 🙁

Probably happens twice a week – usually get to the evening with around 70% left

Twodogs

There’s a lot on google about it….and the short answer seems to be “tough”….

TheFlyingOx

Are you using Chrome beta? That seems to cause issues for some.

Other than that try booting to safe mode* to see if it goes away, which will point to a particular app causing the battery drain. If so, you can then open apps individually to see which one causes the issues.

1. Turn the device off.
    2. Press and hold the Power key past the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge screen.
    3. When “SAMSUNG” appears on the screen, release the Power key.
    4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.

Cougar

Googling “mediaserver” autocompletes to “mediaserver battery drain s7” so I’d hazard that like Tom Jones you’re not unusual.

Uninstalling Chrome seems to be the suggested solution.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Hmm. Reckon I’ve grounds to return the phone? Bought it because of the waterproofing and battery life..

martinhutch

Do you have an SD card containing media files in the phone? Might be worth removing that, charging up the phone, and seeing if you get the same drain.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Ah OK, so busy using Firefox perhaps might work…

Harry_the_Spider

I had rapid drainage issues the other week.

Drained it.
    Charged it.
    Left it for an hour without touching it.
    Charged it again.

It worked for me.

I am not a doctor.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Disabling chrome says it will delete data and might make other apps not work proper:-/

garage-dweller

Lots of apps say that. Some of them mean it. Some of them don’t. I’ve generally chanced it on the basis of be prepared to reinstall if stuff stops working. I’ve removed (disabled) a heap of bloatware from my phone’s without issue but never a google app.

I’d guess Chrome might be potentially troublesome to delete if it’s used as a base for the myriad other Google apps or whether each of those stands alone. I don’t know the answer but maybe someone else does.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Deleting Chrome doesn’t sound like a good idea as it’s the browser at the heart of Android. The problem sounds a lot like early Apple iOS problems with too much communication going on in the background, tbh I think the best solution is hang on and hope Google fix it. Question is how to raise the profile of the issue with the company ?

Cougar

I’ve had plenty of Android phones without Chrome. Rip it out.

Outside of Apple forums where he seems to know what he’s talking about, a good rule of thumb is generally to do the opposite of what Jamba suggests. (-:

jambalaya
    Free Member

Outside of Apple forums where he seems to know what he’s talking about, a good rule of thumb is generally to do the opposite of what Jamba suggests. (-:

Funny that, where you can verify you agree there is some value add. Where it’s subjective none ? Maybe it’s not me who should be ignored ? 🙂

For the avoidance of doubt on this (or indeed Apple stuff) do what Cougar says

Cougar

I’m only teasing, man.

I could be wrong, but I can’t think of any any compelling reason why you’d need Chrome. Anything that needs a web browser will prompt you for what to use if you’ve got multiple browsers installed.

mattyfez

Yeah I don’t have chrome on my p9, I prefer opera.

bruneep

I had this and it was the BBC iplayer radio app that was draining the battery. Deleted the app and reinstalled it seem to sort the issue….for me.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

So I’ve done some testing and i think the issue is this bloody place! This morning, after a full charge i used ipayer, Instagram and Facebook – left it for a while, and battery had dropped around 5%. No mention of mediaserver in the battery use app.

Came on here, there was some dodgy advert at the top of the page which kept scrolling the page back up whenever i scrolled down 👿 and now mediaserver has used an extra 5% of my battery. Down 13% having taken the phone off charge 30 mins ago.

Will do more digging around chrome but i think this place might be the issue with its dodgy adverts!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Will do more digging around chrome but i think this place might be the issue with its dodgy adverts!

If that is the case mail the tech address so somebody actually hears about it

retro83
    Free Member

I think the process is called media_rw so if anybody has a rooted s7, they could use adb shell to run lsof | grep media_rw while the issue is occurring to see which files mediaserver is processing (or repeatedly trying and failing to process).

If it is Chrome causing it, then I would guess it’s trying to index cache files or something. Don’t see the issue on my Android phone though, so sounds like samsung hasn’t configured it properly if that is the case.

Cougar

Without checking I dunno if you can do it on the mobile version of Chrome, but on the desktop version you can set plug-ins not to autoplay which stops videos launching until you tell them to.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I had this with my old moto g.
    If you’ve got lots of videos and pictures on your phone, you could try putting them in a folder name prefixed with a “.”, which means its usually ignored by the OS when scanning for media.
    You could also try clearing the thumbnail caches and also try “media rescan” app to re-index the files, takes a little time to complete.

muzzle
    Free Member

I had exactly the same issue on my S7 Edge. Stopped using Chrome (without uninstalling it) and now use the Samsung browser instead – seems to have done the trick.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Mediaserver battery drain – android’ is closed to new replies.