Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mechs – which is better….
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Now that the shadow plus mechs have been out for a bit is there a general opinion on which is better between sram and shimano? Shifting quality i presume is much of a muchness so just dithering over which puts the most tension on the chain and resilience to knocks. Prob looking at XT level although the ZEE is appealing, as is SLX. Think X9 is XT equiv.

Ta

swingbing
    Free Member

I think my XT mech and shifter combo is really amazing, great step up from SLX, and worlds away from Sram X7. Not tried the top line Sram stuff tho.

ski
    Free Member

I prefer the XT combo over X9 now, and that is coming from a life long SRAM fan.

I have less issues with the jockey wheels with XT, shifting wise, not much in it.

andyrm
    Free Member

I’ve just switched from X9 to Zee rear, XT shifter – much smoother shifting, definitely seems more substantial build too – and the shadow design keeps the mech just that little bit more out of the way…… Recommended.

Gotama
    Free Member

Andy – that’s the combo that is floating my boat at the moment as i like the idea of a short cage rear mech given i’m never going to run a big ring at the front. Saint seems a little pricey in comparison even though it does have the bling effect.

RoterStern
    Free Member

The general consensus is that SRAM has more of a clunk when shifting where as Shimano is smoother. Personal preference which style you prefer.

wisepranker
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from SRAM to XT on my bikes. Won’t be going back to SRAM either.
    The XT shifting is smoother and the Shimano kit seems more reliable.

Northwind

Shimano are better at 10-speed, from what I’ve tried.

To be blunt, the reason I like my XT/SLX 10-speed is that it combines Shimano build with SRAM feel- Shimano weren’t subtle about pinching SRAM’s best features, they changed the cable throw and they gave them a nice solid SRAM positive clunk.

Meanwhile, XTR is still classic Shimano and feels like the levers aren’t connected to anything.

Current XT is the best gearing I’ve ever used.

Gotama
    Free Member

Hmmm this seems one sided enough for me! Never had a problem with my existing shimano, just wanted to check i wasn’t missing out by sticking with the same with these new clutch mechs.

atlaz
    Free Member

Well I’m very fond of my X0 mech. Beautiful shifting, trouble free for a couple of years now

reggiegasket
    Free Member

XTR shifter, XT mech, Shimano cabling with plenty of cablemagic lube, Tiso jockeys.

Light action, reliable, positive. Perfection (for normal money).

[KMC chain and XT cassette]

andyrm
    Free Member

Andy – that’s the combo that is floating my boat at the moment as i like the idea of a short cage rear mech given i’m never going to run a big ring at the front. Saint seems a little pricey in comparison even though it does have the bling effect.

Shifting is surprisingly SRAM like, in as much as it has a nice positive clunk into gear (I guess this is the clutch & extra tension), but requires lots less effort to shift. And the Zee mech is massively more substantial than the X9 with only a very small weight penalty (something like 70g on my scales).

I think it would be very hard to justify Saint now – Zee really is spot on, and for sensible money too. Going to put the entire group on my bigger bike.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mechs – which is better….’ is closed to new replies.