Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mechanics: Honda Clutch Slipping
  • Daniel
    Free Member

I've an '04 Accord CDTi with about 70k on the clock. About 10 months ago the clutch started to slip under hard acceleration in 4th and 5th. It did this for a while but then over summer stopped. Then late summer it started again but 3rd as well. Now it's not slipping. I was out on Saturday with 2 bikes on the roof and used full throttle through the gears on a dual carriageway and it was fine.

I've got a price for a new clutch but this makes me think that maybe its something else. Surely if the clutch plate is worn and on its way out it will only get worse?

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Dan.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Contamination, crank seal leaking or something dripping down inside your bell housing. If you'd said on cold days it slips worse I'd have gone down the route of saying you generate a *little* more power in cold weather, but for it to display the same thing over 12 months would suggest it's not temp related.

Daniel
    Free Member

Still an engine out job then 🙁 and might as well put a clutch plate in while its out

or do I just put up with it?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I have a civic diesel with a clutch at 110K. It makes a squeaking noise but hasn't slipped yet (biting close to the carpet and quite heavy) The cost of Honda taking it out, and the piss while they're at is was £670.
    I'll hang on bit longer.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Could just be a leak from another location (cam cover etc) dripping down block. Check that sort of thing out before whipping the engine out.

Doug
    Free Member

Sounds like slight contamination that manifests itself just before the slave auto adjusts as the clutch wears. Personally I'd live with it but the SO would want it changed.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

if you check out civinfo you will find lots of problems with Civic clutches slipping "before their time". Might be the same with Accords.

I have a 56 Civic diesel, bought with 27k on the clock 6 months ago. I have had to have the clutch replaced due to slipping in similar circumstances to you. The car was out of the manufacturer's warranty so I had to cough up the labour, even though they did pay for the clutch as a gesture of good will (if ever there was a euphemism for owning up to the problem!).

Apparently there are stories of Civic Type R clutches going in 2000 miles 😯

That said, at 70000 miles you've not done too bad, but it is an engine out job

jonk

Can sometimes be the cruise control switch that causes this common fault.

coffeeking
    Free Member

70K miles isn't BAD for a clutch TBH. A little light but depends how hard it's been thrashed.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Can sometimes be the cruise control switch that causes this common fault.

had that checked

Daniel
    Free Member

How does the cruise control cause it?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Must admit I was confused about that too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mechanics: Honda Clutch Slipping’ is closed to new replies.