Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mechanics Help required- Brake hose stuck in lever
  • scruff
    Free Member

SLX lever, olive has been over tightened, its totally stuck- undone screw and pulled and wiggled, cant move it. Used yellow blocks in vice pulled as hard as possible and hose just pulled out of yellow blocks. There is about 3 inches of hose (seller cut rest off) which is getting mashed from holding it with grips etc,. Left it with penetractive fluid overnight, just to see.

Hot water on lever bit ?

Any ideas ?

wwaswas

put a screw inside the hose and then clamp in a vice – the hose will be held in place between the screw/vice without slipping and you’ll be able to pull harder

snakebite
    Free Member

sold as seen. 🙂

singlespeedstu

Clamp the hose it the vice to seal the end.
    Put brake fluid into the brake then pull the lever in while also pulling the brake away from the vice.

The hydrolic pressure from the brake should be enough to break the seal the olive has on the lever body.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ll take my new merino top off befoe trying that one !

singlespeedstu

If you let the oil soak in you’ll also have a waterproof merino top. 😉

neilb67
    Free Member

Clamp hose in the vice so you leave about 1-2mm gap between top of vice and lever body. Then get 2 screwdrivers, one either side of the hose wedged between the vice and body then lever up on the screwdrivers. Hopefully that should do it.

Otherwise Scruff, I work in Hixon at the airfield so if you can get it over to me I can have a go for you

snakebite
    Free Member

put the lever in the vice, tie a rope to a plane, attach it to the hose…

bigyinn
    Free Member

I had exactly this with a set of XTs.
    Try getting a hairdryer on the lever body and get it nice and warm, then have a good old tug.

At least you’ll fell better. IGMC

scruff
    Free Member

Thanks everyone including Andy for replies, after 3 days of trying out everyones tips it came off with a soak in oil and several good hard tugs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mechanics Help required- Brake hose stuck in lever’ is closed to new replies.