Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Mechanics Help!
  • tymbian
    Free Member

The sliders or locating pins are siezed in the brake-caliper carrier on my pick-up. tips for removal please.

trail_rat
    Free Member

What vehicle ?

Are the heads rounded ?if not Flat drive sockets on an impact driver worked on my fronteras rear wheels.

Fronts i ground the head off the sliders removed caliper

Removed the carrier

Stuck it in the vice an tacked a bar to the top. After that the remains turned out by hand. Thermal shock of the weld broke the corrosion i suspect.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Its best to remove the complete carrier,give the slider a good soak in plus gas, or very thin penetrating oil, and then lock the square section of the pin end in a vice,a bit of localised heat with a small butane torch will help too, then gently, and i mean VERY gently move the calliper side to side until it breaks the seize.

They snap easily though so be careful.

Clean the inside of the slider and pin with a fine emery paper and re grease with a proper rubber grease (red in colour) and make sure the rubber gaiter is properly seated otherwise it will let corrosion back in.

hth 😉

Greybeard
    Free Member

On my Focus I removed the carrier, screwed a longer bolt into the end of the pin then closed the jaws of a large adjustable spanner around the shank of the bolt just under the head. I was then able to hammer gently outwards on the spanner to pull the pin out. The longer bolt is important to make sure you have as many threads engaged as possible. (There are probably better tools to apply tension to a bolt but not ones I had available)

tymbian
    Free Member

’97 Nissan D21. I can remove the caliper from the carrier and remove the carrier from the wheel assembly. I can’t remove the sliders from the carrier. The Caliper slides over the carrier and bolt on by the ‘ sliders ‘.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Mechanics Help!’ is closed to new replies.