Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Mechanics – H2O Flooded Engine Part 3
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Previously on how fuct is my engine…

Episode one.

Episode two

So ive had the plugs out and they were wet.

Ive just tried to turn the engine by hand on the crank pully, and it wont budge, either clockwise nor anti clockwise.

Im guess this means bent / broken crankshaft and probably seized internals to boot.

Was only back on the road three weeks after having the cam belt done after that let go.

Less of a request for help (although its always appreciated) not quite a rant, more of a heartfelt moan 🙁

one_really_not_very_happy_hippy 🙁

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Insurance claim time?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

were yu able to turn it over by hand like that before? Some engines can be quite difficult to turn.

molgrips
    Free Member

With plugs out it should be pretty easy to turn. Head off? What've you got to lose?

MrNutt
    Free Member

strip it down and have a proper look?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You are still having to turn it against the valve springs and depending on the firing order depends how many valves you are opening.

One of my motorcycle engines was almost impossible to turn by hand because of this – span feely without the pushrods in but solid with them in.

funkynick

I know it's a silly question, but you haven't got it in gear have you?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Get onto your insurance company.

My mate had a very similar thing happen to his Renault last year and his insurance collected it and replaced a whole tonne of stuff.

Get on the phone to them now…

HarveyStedham
    Free Member

Havent read thro the other posts, but if you have sucked up water into the engine then it has probably bent the con rods like a banana, thus siezing the engine meaning you cant turn it over! 🙁 not pretty

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Ive turned it on the crank pully before and it turned pretty easily. Admitedly the belt was off so I wasnt turning the cams. And yes I did try it then go and check it was out of gear and try it again to no avail. 😛

Heads off and strip is the problem, its half on pavement / half on road and I dont have a garage or a flat drive to work on it not to mention missing about half the skills / tools / something to drop the engine with.

Think it might be time to approach the insurance company.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Spoke to insurance – looks like it might be covered by accidental damage. Waiting on call back in the morning. Have just dug out reciept for £3.2k from original engine conversion.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks to all for advice / commiserations etc

Cheers

J

molgrips
    Free Member

My fingers and toes are crossed for you mate. Can't have unhappy hippies around here.

That's such a drag, man.

fergusd

So, have you spun it over on the starter or not . . . ?

Trying to turn it over by hand (without a breaker bar on the crank pulley) is no test whatsoever . . .

Fd

coffeeking
    Free Member

With a 12" long spanner on the pulley it should turn with about the sort of force required to tighten an alloy wheel nut with a normal wheel wrench. If thats not shifting it I'd be getting worried 🙁 Is the starter engaging at all? Not moving at all/no noise?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Bar and socket on Crank pulley with a decent amount of elbow grease wouldnt budge it a mm.

Suspect the crank is broken / bent to be honest. Not going to try and spin it on the starter. Have spoken to insurance and I think they are going to cover it. Waiting for a call from the engineer who they are sending to asess the damage. Will leave it to him to turn it on the starter and finish it off completely.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

one_happy_hippy – Member

Bar and socket on Crank pulley with a decent amount of elbow grease wouldnt budge it a mm.

Urgh – that sounds a bit terminal!

HOpe the insurance covers it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

best of luck, on a happy note my 1975 mg midget is looking healthier after we found the spigot had disintegrated! there was about 4mm misisng off one end, a lot of swarf and some big goughes in it, no wonder it made noises when changeing gear!

molgrips
    Free Member

Spigot?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Fingers crossed insurance will cover it mate.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Hoping so… Engineer is coming next friday to have a look.

I wonder if everyone on stw crosses their fingers for me whether the insurance people will be nice and buy me a Leagcy GT engine as a replacement (2.5l twin turbo / 285bhp as standard)

😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

spigot: the brass/bronze bush or needle roller bearing that sits inside the end of the crankshaft and allows the engine/clutch and gearbox input shaft to rotate at different speeds whilst the cluch isn't engaged.

Which is why sitting stationary with the cluch in is a very bad idea, handbrake on, gears into neutral and foot off the clutch.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Mechanics – H2O Flooded Engine Part 3’ is closed to new replies.