Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mechanic's; fitting this towbar – how easy?
  • br
    Free Member

http://www.pct.eu.com/automotive/Fitting%20Instructions/pdf/JG4251.pdf

I’m reasonably competent and have the tools, but is there anything that’s going to catch me out – and without a ramp. Suitable for a home fit?

tthew

Not too hard. I’m no mechanic but I installed one my self a couple of years ago, and the electric relay kit too. The most difficult bit was getting the bumper off and on. There tend to be a lot of screws and clips, some quite well hidden.

br
    Free Member

Thanks, but did the electrics just ‘plug in’, or need some additional work?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thekingisdead
    Free Member

Mine used scotch locks, v easy.

It messes with the ecu on some modern cars tho, I think

mav12
    Free Member

Not to hard really best if you can leave the bumper on as others have said have alook on ebay as well i got my last one for a fiver collected

br
    Free Member

The ebay supplier has been good in sending the instructions (before I buy), the mechanical side looks pretty easy but the electrics…

I quote:

Great care should be taken if the sockets are wired into a vehicle having multiplexed circuitry, and no attempt should be made to interup or interfere with the BUS, the ESU’s or the power cable of the multiplexed system.

And then a load more instructions including ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’…

Think I might avoid the DIY route as the car itself has everything electric (Jaguar), so probably a step-to-far for me.

bruneep

I used a Plug N Play kit from one of the towbar companies, no idea what car you have but for example easy peasy to do.

wwaswas

unless it’s just plug and play (which a lot of multiplexed systems are set up for) and you get a specific kit I’d avoid diy, personlly.

also see if you’d need to cut any bodywork.

stuarty
    Free Member

Erm stop getting your knickers in a flap
    Your only wiring the towbar socket into the lights
    Not rocket science if your lights are the more (useless)modern ‘can type’ you just use a bypass relay
    Which really you are only wiring in an extra live
    The rest of the towbar its only nuts n bolts

Makes mental note not to drive behind any old jags with wonky towbars

Just make sure your indicaters match up left for left
    Thats scares the fe ck out of bikers

wwaswas

unless he also needs a permanent live for a caravan supply or has a 13 pin socket not a 7 pin one?

br
    Free Member

Erm stop getting your knickers in a flap

Thanks, as my wife says when I say something is ‘easy’ – sure its easy, if you know what you are doing…

And if I knew what I was doing, I wouldn’t be asking for help 🙄

DaveRambo

I had the exact same thoughts/questions this time last year when I decided to get a towbar for our Honda.
    I ended up getting if from TowEquipe and getting it fitted as well.

Took the guy 2 hrs with all the tools and knowledge of doing them for a job. Would have taken me a lot longer with double checking etc and I decided it was worth every penny.

He turned up and did it on our drive as well.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mechanic's; fitting this towbar – how easy?’ is closed to new replies.