Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Mechanical disc brakes..
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

Avid BB7 still the go to choice, or have we moved on?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

You could look at the TRP Spyke (mtb) or Spyre (road)
    Though I went with BB7 in the end and they seem plenty powerful enough.

ads678

I’ve got shimano sora ones on my London road. They seem pretty good once set up right and pretty cheap too.

Only others i’ve used though is cheapy Clarks ones, which to be fair , for the price weren’t bad, just big and heavy.

What are you putting them on, if flat bar just go hydro.

jakd95
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the BB7’s on my Inbred, I haven’t felt the need to change to anything else or upgrade to hydro.

fibre
    Free Member

Worth a search, pretty sure it’s been done recently.

I’ve tried BB7, Shimano CX75 but prefer TRP.

kerley
    Free Member

I think BB& are still pretty much the best cable. We haven’t moved on because they is no demand to move on, hydraulic brakes are more popular and that is where the development of new/improved products is.

I had BB& with compression’s cables and found the overall braking power to be same as the XTs I replaced them with (which isn’t surprising as a cable can adequately pull two pads together just as well as fluid)

The major difference is that I can stop with more control with the XTs and get closer to the locking up point and therefore stop more quickly and with less fuss.

scaredypants

I use BB7s on several bikes, mtb and road.

They’re great IMO – non-compressible outer makes a lot of difference but otherwise easy to set up.

I like the idea of the TRP ones moving both pads. Would probably look at those if I needed another set

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Mechanical disc brakes..’ is closed to new replies.