Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mechanic to the forum – Speedo has mind of it's own
  • scandal42
    Free Member

So Mrs Scandal is having a car related problem, speedo has gone a bit doolally and shows far faster speeds than are actually being achieved (doing 30ish and showing 80)

This is now constant and is amongst other things probably illegal.

Any ideas what this could be, it’s not like it’s died entirely but is just constantly incorrect, rev counter has been that way for quite a while but never bothered her.

The car is an old 206, is it fairly common or easy to diagnose?

Any help much appreciated

sazter

My Transit Connect did this, used to just keep climbing and only stop when it reached the end of the dial.

I sent the console away to be repaired, cost £100 IIRC.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Speedo has mind of it’s own

There used to be a creepy guy at our local swimming pool in the 70’s with very same problem.. 😯

scandal42
    Free Member

My Transit Connect did this, used to just keep climbing and only stop when it reached the end of the dial.

I sent the console away to be repaired, cost £100 IIRC.

http://www.cartronix.co.uk/ by any chance?

Taff
    Free Member

I had the same problem on my old 306 until it completely died. Just got a second hand cluster and put it in. If it was flickering I would have said it may have been an earthing problem but with the rev counter going I would say the cluster is on it’s way out. Could be worth trying the earths first. You will need to softboot the car when you reconnect the battery.

poisonspider
    Free Member

How old is the car?

I’ve seen this before when the voltage regulator for the dash cluster is failing.

sazter

scandal, yep think it was them. Worked out cheaper for me than buying a 2nd hand cluster and getting it re-programmed to the van, something to do with the way Transits store the data, it’s all in the cluster, not the engine.

scandal42
    Free Member

It’s 1999 or 2000

Thinking i’ll try a second hand cluster off Ebay, is it easy to remove and fit?

Not able to look at youtube vids at the moment.

sazter

My connect was easy, undo a few screws, release 2 clips to remove 2 wiring looms.

trail_rat
    Free Member

when you say old…. do you mean nearing end of life old…..

if so – cheap fix – bung an old GPS in the window.

I did that with my frontera when the speedo started playing funny buggers after 2 years – no way i was spending money on it ….

scandal42
    Free Member

when you say old…. do you mean nearing end of life old…..

if so – cheap fix – bung an old GPS in the window.

I did that with my frontera when the speedo started playing funny buggers after 2 years – no way i was spending money on it ….

Interesting idea, I’ll have a chat with her to see what she thinks, could be a pain in the arse having to remove every time she gets out the car though.

Cougar

If the speedo is massively overreading, would that also mean that the odometer is similarly affected? Ie, it’ll read higher mileage than is actually correct?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mechanic to the forum – Speedo has mind of it's own’ is closed to new replies.