• This topic has 20 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kevj.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Mech Hanger advice – Kona Fire Mountain
  • kevj
    Free Member

I’m building a bike for my son for his tenth birthday and managed to get a near perfect 2011 Fire Mountain as a base.

I’ve had the frame powder coated and plan on setting it up 1×9. The old mech used an integral mech hanger and I need a new part to connect the SLX mech to the frame.

Anyone know which specific hanger I need or can point me in the right direction?

I’ve tried Kona direct and had no answer. I’ve also looked on the Betd website and although they have a vast selection, they do not call of this frame and year specifically.

Thanks in advance.

kimbers

It’ll be a type h hanger

Less than a tenner on ebay

kevj
    Free Member

Thank- you for that. I had seen one EBay seller referring to a type H but couldn’t find anything on Kona site or the net to confirm.

kevj
    Free Member

Mech hanger arrived today, unfortunately it doesn’t fit! Any other ideas which type it could be?

colande
    Free Member

Can you take a photo of the dropout,
    Showing where the hanger fits,
    I can try and take a look at our chart on monday to try and match up for you.

colande
    Free Member
    kevj
    Free Member

Firstly, thank you for your help.

The drop out isn’t concentric to the frame no matter which angle I turn it.

The rear thickening is also not in the correct place. If I position it so the rear face is flush, then the qr drop out opening is greatly reduced. I can get this to line up, but the thicker part of the drop out is over lapping the frame.

colande
    Free Member

Can you remove the hanger and photograph just the drop out so we can see what shape the rear of the mech hanger should be.

colande
    Free Member

By the look of things hanger 27 from the website maybe right.

kevj
    Free Member

Pic with the hanger removed. I too thought it looked closer to type 27.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

according to this the manufacturer of hanger http://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hanger-manufacturers/?manufacturer=Kona&q=Search+For+Model its atype 27

you could always contact wheels manufacturing to confirm ?
    Bit shit Kona not bothering to help

colande
    Free Member

yep 27 looks a dead cert
    and matches what wheels manufacturing say aswell

kimbers

Sorry kevj !

kevj
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    Sorry kevj !

No problem! The eBay seller will accept returns so no harm done.

kevj
    Free Member

Little update: it’s the boys tenth birthday today and have just finished the bike (I work away, so it’s been a drawn out build)

I’m rather pleased with how it looks. Lighter than my bike which was the main goal, but looks like a proper mtb.

therevokid
    Free Member

top job there kevj 🙂

tthew

That looks ace!

kimbers

That’s awesome

kevj
    Free Member

Cheers for the comments. The picture doesn’t do it justice. He’s just been out in the front street and loves it. Taking him off road later!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Proper smart ride. Nice one Kevj.

Just to clarify, was the mech hanger type 27 in the end? I like to have a proper ending to these stories.

kevj
    Free Member

Jef,

Yes, type 27 is a perfect fit.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Mech Hanger advice – Kona Fire Mountain’ is closed to new replies.