Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Meat Emulsion
  • Jamie
    Free Member

…sounds delicious.

Consumers are being sold food including mozzarella that is less than half real cheese, ham on pizzas that is either poultry or “meat emulsion”, and frozen prawns that are 50% water, according to tests by a public laboratory.

The checks on hundreds of food samples, which were taken in West Yorkshire, revealed that more than a third were not what they claimed to be, or were mislabelled in some way. Their results have been shared with the Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/07/fake-food-scandal-revealed-tests-products-mislabelled

ton

Britain was built on fried lips and arseholes…….. 😀

olddog

Also note comment in article about W Yorks being one of few public health labs that test for this stuff.

benji
    Free Member

So what’s in a kebab? Because I’ve never seen one of those frolicking free in the fields.

br
    Free Member

So what’s in a kebab?

Meat.

ton

compressed minced lamb. a customer I deal with imports them from Turkey.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

In other hot news, Terry Wogan is Irish.

Processed food has always been crap; is it really a surprise?

Jamie
    Free Member

*wonders what’s in a scotch egg*

maccruiskeen

*wonders what’s in a scotch egg*

well I’ve just downed five and I’m still not drunk yet

zippykona

Are eating not so pretty bits of animals any worse than eating its internal organs?
    If Hugh Double Barrel came up with a recipe for cows ears we would all applaud him for using the whole animal.

Jamie
    Free Member

Are eating not so pretty bits of animals any worse than eating its internal organs?
    If Hugh Double Barrel came up with a recipe for cows ears we would all applaud him for using the whole animal.

Very true. Although that completely misses the point of the article. It’s the fact the items are not what they purport to be.

I imagine if Hugh Curly-Wurly made his aforementioned Cow Ears Soufflé, but it actually contained chicken wibbles, then people would grump.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

But it’s not the other parts of the animal that are the issue, if we’re going to kill and eat, we should be prepared to eat it all. The issue is the other synthetic crap that’s mixed with it.

Sandwich

Cow Ears Soufflé,

I hear that’s quite good!

IGMC

sparkyrhino

Sounds kinky 😈

BigJohn

I always make my own stock from the bits of the animals and fish that I don’t eat whole. Excluding stomachs, intestines and gills. A fish head soup, or pig head brawn is a wonderful thing.

zippykona

Cow Ears Soufflé

Captain Beefheart’s finest album.

johnners
    Free Member

I had a Trout Mask Replica pizza the other day. Or it may have been a Margherita, I can’t quite remember.

Cougar

I live in a town where every other shop(*) is a Pakistani-run pizza shop / fried chicken / kebabbery. Getting a decent pizza is quite tricky, getting a decent pizza from somewhere we’re in the delivery catchment area for has proved impossible. The closest independent Italian pizza place that uses actual food in its ingredients is a fifteen mile round trip.

Consumers are being sold food including mozzarella that is less than half real cheese

I can only assume that this is what’s commonly referred to on menus as “mozzablend.” I’ve yet to find what it actually consists of but I expect it’s homeopathic quantities of mozzarella.

ham on pizzas that is either poultry or “meat emulsion”

Halal, innit. Most are up front about it now (in so far as it’s printed in Flyspeck 3 at the bottom of the menu) but plenty aren’t. The “ham” is actually turkey, dyed pink.

This ’emulsion’ stuff I’ve not come across in pizzas (that I’ve noticed, but, vegetarian), but I saw it on one of Jamie Oliver’s school dinner type programs. He showed a bunch of kids what went in to producing this pink meaty toothpaste and asked them all “who’d want to eat that” and they were all revolted. Did the same thing in a US version of the show, and all the American kids shot their hands up. Jamie’s face was comedy gold.

(* – Ie, the ones that aren’t Pound Shops or charity shops)

teethgrinder

The less cheese in cheese, the better. **** awful stuff.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I’m reading this while eating hot dogs.
    God knows what’s in them but they’re very tasty?

Northwind

ton – Member

Britain was built on fried lips and arseholes……..

No wonder we took so well to curries!

Cougar

No wonder we took so well to Jamie Oliver.

ninfan
    Free Member

I reckon that one trip to France and a single serving of a traditional Andouillette, would have 99% of people back here eating our good old fashioned British lips, arseholes, & floor sweepings sausages in half a heartbeat!

Jamie
    Free Member

[deja-vu]

But the point is, when you order Andouillette, you know what it contains.

[/deja-vu]

Cougar

I had to google that.

The aroma is due to the pig colon (chitterlings) utilised in the sausage, which incorporates some of the same compounds that contribute to the odour of excrement

Pigshit sausage, omnomnom.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Andouillette, the ultimate foody test.

Jamie
    Free Member

For you romantic chicken arsehole lovers…

….@ Lidl from the 6th.

stu1972
    Free Member

Used to repair machinery that made amongst other things the little “pork” sausages that went into a popular brand of baked beans.

The emulsion looked like pink diarrhea and had probably less than 10% meat content.

Once a batch of fat & skin went in with hair still attached. Still remember them coming out of the ovens and bursting out of the casings like hairy caterpillars.

Mmmm yummy

stu1972
    Free Member

jesus

What were the heads for. Stock ???

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Meat Emulsion’ is closed to new replies.