Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Measuring BCD?
  • tomvet

Had a look online and seen different methods described. I have a set of truativ double 39/26 cranks. The outside chainring BCD is stated on crank as 120, the inner is not given.

I am looking to put a narrow wide ring on, I think the outer ring is too big to fit a 32 tooth NW ring. So can I fit a NW ring to the inner chain ring mounts or will this adversely effect chainline or foul the chain?

When I measure the 26 ring bolt holes it measures 80mm from the 2 o’clock to 5 o’clock holes, is this this right??? If so i can buy a blackspire ring.

Thanks

richmars

How many bolts?
    If 4, just measure the distance between opposite bolts.
    If 5, you need to do some sums (google says multiply bu 1.7)

tomvet

Its a 4 arm crank, what do you mean by opposite? If a,b,c and d are bolt holes

a…..b

c…..d

a to b is 49mm a to d is 80mm

sorry if i am being thick.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    richmars

12 o’clock to six, or 3 to 9.

tinribz
    Free Member

CraigW
    Free Member

Sheldon Brown has a handy chart: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-bcd.html

But it might not include some of the more modern sizes.
    Also it seems some cranks have the bolts at uneven spacings around the circle. So it depends on just which holes you measure the distance between.

fadda

Tomvet – your a to d (80mm) is what you need.

eshershore
    Free Member

we have this at work because:

-you never get the BCD measurement wrong which saves buying the wrong chainring for a customer
    -more tools = 🙂
    -it looked cool!

scaredypants

a to b is 49mm a to d is 80mm

Do you mean a to c is 80mm ?

If not, then surely you’ve got asymmetrically spaced boltholes and the 80mm may not be right either

If a-b = b-c = c-d = d-a, and a-c (and b-d) = 80mm, then crack on

(or if thye line between any two crosses the cetre of the ring then that measurement should be OK too)

njee20
    Free Member

It is 80, SRAM double chain sets are, so however you measure that it’s right 😉

mjsmke

Just measure the centre of the axle to one chainring bolt to get the radius the multiply by 2 to find the diameter.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Njee, – does your knowledge go so far as FSA K-Force Light 38T/22T double chainset?

shermer75
    Free Member

mjsmke – Member
    Just measure the centre of the axle to one chainring bolt to get the radius the multiply by 2 to find the diameter.

I see no reason why this wouldn’t work, no matter what the bolt configuration is

shermer75
    Free Member

mjsmke – Member

I see no reason why this wouldn’t work, no matter what the bolt configuration is

njee20
    Free Member

Njee, – does your knowledge go so far as FSA K-Force Light 38T/22T double chainset?

You sure about those ring sizes, that’s a big jump? It doesn’t, but it’s rare to find a 22 on anything other than a 64mm BCD, with 104mm for the outer ring. That’s guessing though, don’t know for sure I’m afraid.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Pretty certain it’s 22T, either that or a 24T but yes I’m pretty sure the outer is 104mm without cheekily checking.

richmars

Correct. It’s sometimes not easy to estimate the centre of the axle. It should be easier to measure the distance between chain bolts.
    But, given that rings only come in fixed sizes, you’d have to measure it pretty badly (which ever method) to make such an error you buy the wrong rings.

tomvet

Thanks for all the replies, I think it is 80 then, will buy a blackspire NW ring (that seems to be the only one in an 80 bcd that i can find).

Any thoughts on if I will have any issues with chainline by fitting it into the inner ring?

tomvet

So an to update this the blackspire ring i bought fits, I am now left with a crank with 4 ugly tabs poking up. The only bash gaurd with a BCD of 120 I can find is a blackspire defender at £53!!!!!

So will I die if I take a metal file to the outer chain ring tabs and do a little bit of agricultural engineering?

Superficial
    Free Member

No, but I’d make sure the chainline is OK before committing to this plan.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Measuring BCD?’ is closed to new replies.