Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Measures to keep out unwanted feline visitor?
  • 40mpg

Damn sneaky pesky cat of unknown neighbour has now worked out stealth measures to gain entry!

It was coming in via our cats catflap, and eating all our cats food, plus scaring the crap (literally 🙁 ) out of our timid moggy. We got a fancy catflap that read teh chip in our cats neck and only let her in – but the cat burglar has worked out it can tailgate our in the 2-second delay befopre the flap locks again.

So, what retaliation dissuasive measures should I take against moggy 2?

bigtimebones
    Free Member

Waterpistol?

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve seen people install things like a 90 degree tunnel before the catflap so they can’t easily tailgate…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fasthaggis

So once in your house the cat burglar is trapped ?

Throw a towel over it,take it outside and water blast it.
    Repeat.
    It will get the message.

Oh,and film it all,then your cat can watch it again on telly.

Pigface
    Free Member

We had this and never found a really good way of sorting it out, Sonic our cat would make the most unholy noise and hide behind the washing machine whilst the interloper would scarper if it heard us coming to rescue the daft cat. I am sure there must be a way. Sorry.

jam-bo

get a dog.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what fast haggis said

IME you need to be pretty harsh to make sure it is too scared to return
    Are you prepared to do this?
    I was not prepared

FWIW a dog works as well

binners

We have this problem too. Since our delightful self-professed ‘animal lover’ of a neighbour moved down south, and just left 2 of her 5 cats here.

Cats are stealthy, evil, malevolent, scheming little bastards. And they’re far clever than humans. You cannot defeat or outwit it. You’re just going to have to live with it I’m afraid

wwaswas

bowl of food well away from the house at times you know it’ll be around?

if it’s only coming in ‘cos it’s hungry it might help?

footflaps

We have a Petporte cat flap and you can adjust the hold open timer on it so that another cat can’t tailgate.

mudshark
    Free Member

What you need is a tunnel the length of a cat with a chip operated flap at each end and a switch that allows only 1 to be opened at any time.

footflaps

Can I adjust the time it takes for the Petporte Smart Flap® to lock after my cat has entered to try and stop aggressors following my cat in?

The time that the lock is open once your cat has been detected is set at a default of 4 seconds. However this can be adjusted to suit your cat and its circumstances. The open time can be adjusted from 1 second to 26 seconds.

duntstick
    Free Member

40mpg

Footflaps – thanks for that, I’ll dig out the instructions and see if ours does that – I can’t remember what the make is.

brakes
    Free Member

where do you stand legally? can you kill it if it’s on your property, ‘worrying’ your pets?

mudshark
    Free Member

Has to be a humane death or the RSPCA won’t be happy.

woody2000

Slightly different, but I’ve tried all sorts to stop my neighbours cat coming in to our garden – water pistols, stones, tennis balls, sticks etc etc. The bloody thing just snarls at me and carries on about it’s business. Some cats are just too clever/persistent/think they’re lions to do anything about.

Catapult and ball bearings next I think, or maybe an air pistol 😈

Getting a cat/dog isn’t an option for us sadly.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Woody Nerf gun is your weapon of choice one the big battery powered ones rapid fire doesn’t hurt them but scares the crap out of them!!,you need the rapid fire ones for the more heroic ones a quick burst is normally enough 😀

P.s current fave is big 50cal sniper rifle not rapid fire but bigger whistling dart can cover whole garden from kitchen door 😈

Saccades
    Free Member

Ah humane – you can’t drown squirrels anymore as it’s inhumane – but you can get put them down with an airpistol applied to the base of the neck.

Ever tried applying an airpistol to the neck of a slightly maddened, very scared squirrel in a cage. 6 shots later and I’m sure the drowning is more humane for my nerves at least.

So buy and air rifle and take pot shots at all cats, it’s for the best really.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I piss in the garden. Doesn’t seem to bother the cats, but it feels amazing.

Not a good tactic if it’s coming into your kitchen though.

binners is right, basically.

🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Saccades 🙄

globalti
    Free Member

We don’t have a cat flap so ours have to ask nicely if they want to go in or out.

wwaswas

Do you ever get the impression that some people visit other forums where a “taking six shots to kill a squirrel” post is met with 😆 rather than 🙄 ?

dazh

You’re just going to have to live with it I’m afraid

+1.

We tried for a year to prevent/discourage a stray cat from coming in and nothing worked. We now have an extra cat.

globalti
    Free Member

I’m fond of repeating the statistic: there are seven million domestic cats in the UK and ten million families who think they own a cat.

mudshark
    Free Member

Humane – I read that the RSPCA don’t consider a brick to the head to be humane but seems more likely to work quickly than an air rifle.

This is for squirrels not cats BTW.

anagallis_arvensis

I can lend you my lurcher but cant promise she wont kill your cat too!

scruff9252

Can you not get the cats owner to train it properly?

If it was a dog that was coming into your house and terrorising the inhabitants, it would be put down without hesitation. Why should cats be offered more liberal treatment.

mudshark
    Free Member

Well that would result in 90+% of cats being put down which would be bad as then we’d be overrun with song birds waking us up in the morning.

scruff9252

But less cat crap I’m my garden. Plus I enjoy bird song in the morning. Win-win!

spooky_b329

I think there is a justification to trap said intruder by setting the flap to prevent exit, caging it and drenching it a few times during the day before releasing it with the aid of a boot.

I’m sure it would stop coming in after a couple of bad experiences 😈

matt_outandabout

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8[/video]

This may help.

plyphon
    Free Member

You need lemon in a water pistol.

Empty a Cif or something inside the container. Fill the rest with water so you have a few good squirts but a decent concentrate of lemon.

You have to hit the cat. It will be visibly distressed by the lemon, but no permanent damage will be done (95% of the time that’s true every time.).

Getting squirted by water alone doesn’t really do the job unless you’re there every time it comes in. If you get it with the lemon, it’ll stay away.

Unless it’s ‘ard as nails.

Cougar

Do you leave food out 24/7 for your cat? You’ll have a hard time discouraging the interloper if said crouching tiger knows there’s a ready food supply behind the door.

CountZero

What you need is one of these:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTs7VRFV36c&sns=em[/video]
    Of course, you’ll have to train your own Moggy to adopt full-on Ninja/SAS stealth tactics or get nailed.
    http://realsentrygun.com

dazh

I think there is a justification to trap said intruder by setting the flap to prevent exit

Careful what you wish for. We did that and came home from work to 5 strange cats all hissing and snarling at eachother.

Northwind

You’re thinking about this all wrong. You don’t have a cat intruder problem, you have a free cat. That’s sunday roast right there. And cat drumsticks for your lunch

m1kea
    Free Member

Many years ago when I were a lad we had a cat that kept coming in. I managed to catch it and douse it in lemonade. My rationale behind this was it’d hate the sticky stuff in it’s fur. Seemed to do the trick iirc.

And 😆 @ Northwind

thomthumb
    Free Member

wedding ring; you’ll never see the pussy again!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Measures to keep out unwanted feline visitor?’ is closed to new replies.