Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Means testing for benefits question
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Folks – my dad has a form of dementia that’s getting progressively worse. My mum is going through a means testing process in the near future to evaluate how much money they can get towards external support.

She’s been told that if her and my dad have a joint account then the DWP will look at total household income, whereas if they have invidual accounts, they will only look at my father’s income.

My mum is insistent that this is correct and that she has been told this by three different sources, two of which are banks, the other is the Alzheihmers society.

This just doesn’t seem right. I will call Citizens Advice when they open but figured there must also be people on here who will have some knowledge and experience of what happens in this situation.

bearnecessities

Never heard of that myself. Do you know what support/benfit she’s applying for?

br
    Free Member

Google?

tbh I’d have to agree with you, it doesn’t at all seem right. But, if they haven’t got above £16k (or whatever the number is) in savings and/or income above the limit she shouldn’t be worried.

My folks are in the same situation (Scotland), I’ll ask Mum what happened with her.

Also, if you’ve not got Power of Attorney sorted, do it now – and not just for Dad, but Mum too. We’ve just done this, because if something happened to my Mum then we’d need to look after Dad. And it would be an expensive PITA to sort out as he really hasn’t the mental ‘capacity’.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geetee1972
    Free Member

Not sure but I think it will be something like carers allowance.

It just doesn’t seem remotely right, that such a massive difference in the outcome of the assessment can come down to such a simple variable as whether you have single or joint accounts.

Not even a governmental beauracracy can be that naive.

bearnecessities

Don’t knock beauracracy; it’s a necessary evil 🙂

I’d suggest first thing is to find out what she’s claiming because as far as I’m aware (not my field though), CA isn’t means tested.

Also confused why banks are offering advice (if indeed they are, or just misunderstood conversation)

geetee1972
    Free Member

Completely agree Bearneccessities – even on the neccessary evil of beauracracy.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

nothing surprises me with this Corrupt and Uncaring country/government of ours, and we all know their plan is to do away with ALL benefits eventually which does not bode well for our old age does it!
    Unfair system? You bet’cha.

lesgrandepotato

I’d call the BUPA care navigation line. They have some good people there that can give advice.

Philby

This may be a useful source of advice:

http://www.independentage.org/advice/guides-and-factsheets/

Also suggest popping into your local CAB

totalshell

yep sorry but joint accounts the total is taken into the calculation but seperate accounts are not.. financial planning for aging relatives is vital vital.. do it now whilst you can all have an informed open converstion with time on your side.. sat beside a hospital bed is not the right time or place..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Means testing for benefits question’ is closed to new replies.