Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Mealy-mouthed
  • grum
    Free Member

No and that’s a pretty pathetic straw man. What I’m suggesting is that there is increased sympathy to this lovely man’s outbursts because Muslims are seen as an acceptable target for hatred.

konabunny
    Free Member

Not convinced grum, sorry.

grum
    Free Member

Ok, but stop throwing your crappy straw man arguments around and maybe answer my question?

Assuming the incident really happened, at what point would you say being insulted should become a crime KB? Never?

I’m not even necessarily in favour of this guy being arrested (what with not having the full facts at my disposal and not being a police officer), I just find some of the outrage a little suspect.

Stoner
    Free Member

ah, so kb is not allowed to project a personal bias against Jews on you grum, but that’s like so completely not the same as you projecting anti-islamic bias on kb (or me)?

riiiiighttt.

It’s not an outrage about what was said to whom, my “outrage” if you like to call it, is in the clumsy use of sledgehammer laws against dickish nut behaviour. The police have not been proportionate and along the way they touch on censorship and attacks on free speech.

That’s not the same as saying dick’s tweet should be protected or given any special treatment, but it is to say that 24hrs of custody and a s19 charge is not the proportionate response.

grum
    Free Member

I’m talking about society in general stoner. I never claimed you were a racist, just that it is seen as a semi-acceptable position to ‘ask Muslims to apologise for Islamic terrorism’, in a way which wouldn’t be deemed acceptable for other groups.

Claiming that I think Jews get special privileges is a ridiculous stretch from the analogy I made.

Have you bothered to read the other tweets yet? I just would have thought being informed about the thing you’re outraged expressing concern over might be a good idea.

Stoner
    Free Member

I value freedom of expression regardless who gets upset or offended.

All you are doing is hunting for examples of things that YOU THINK ought to offend me more. Since I don’t get offended you really arent on to a winner there.

grum
    Free Member

Still not read those other tweets eh. 🙂

Maybe you or KB would like to answer the question of when freedom of speech does reach its limits, or should people just be allowed to say whatever they want? Should the kids at school have freedom of speech to verbally bully your kids on a daily basis, for example?

Stoner
    Free Member

I obviously wasnt being clear, as you’ve gone off again to find another example of something YOU THINK ought to offend ME.

I believe the freedom of expression is absolute.

There. That should clarify for you.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Still not read those other tweets eh

I have and if you think he should be arrested for them, then you are a bigger problem than he is.

He comes across as some kind of UKIP Alan Partridge. Sad, ignorant and attention seeking.

What harm could this dick on Twitter actually do?

I would much prefer if the Police and our legal system focused on some real issues.

This whole thing has just given him a huge platform for his views. He seems to be a pretty effective PR person after all.

konabunny
    Free Member

I think I stand on the side of not arresting children at school for saying offensive things.

scaredypants

As I see it, the guy is clearly a dick just on the strength of this one action. Asking/expecting muslims to answer for “this” is just a sign of stupidity and that’s no crime.

Tweeting about it, or broadcasting it in any way, however, is different IMO
    This guff has the potential to reinforce (maybe even introduce) the idea in some other stupid people that all of Islam is responsible for these atrocities and that surely could be construed as inciting religous hatred

I agree, though that a better response from the police to low-level crap such as this (and the guy who said he was going to blow up an airport if they delayed his flight, etc) would be a counter-tweet saying “post another one of those and we’ll be knocking at your door” rather than arresting him. Better message all-round IMO and constructive police action.

I haven’t read his other stuff – anybody got a link for a non-twitterer ?

Stoner
    Free Member

ppfffftt, kb.

How can we produce new drones if you dont get them under the yoke at an early age?!!?

yunki
    Free Member

Picking this wally up for his twitter boast is not dissimilar to paying a visit to that girl who tweeted about knocking a cyclist off.. Especially in light of his other tweets

He’s pretty much admitted to being guilty of some sort of racial harassment, could be a proper nutjob, specially picking on random women in the street..
    It’s a fair cop I reckon, and it was probably worth pulling him in for questioning
    If say, the woman he confronted had lodged a separate complaint, it’s just following a lead surely?

grum
    Free Member

I believe the freedom of expression is absolute.

No you don’t. Literally no-one actually believes that. If I hurled abuse at you and your family every time you left the house would you still be saying that?

And can people please stop with the straw man arguments. I never claimed bullies should be arrested or even that his other tweets should get him arrested (as I’ve already said, *sigh*), I just thought maybe people might like to be informed about the thing they’re ranting about.

Stoner
    Free Member

No you don’t. Literally no-one actually believes that

yes I do.
    Literally yes, a lot of people believe in genuine freedom of speech.

If you hurled abuse at me, you’d get pretty bored pretty quickly after being laughed at each time.

konabunny
    Free Member

If I hurled abuse at you and your family every time you left the house would you still be saying that?…And can people please stop with the straw man arguments

:mrgreen:

grum
    Free Member

I really don’t believe you. And also ‘well off middle-class white man in not being that bothered by verbal harassment shocker’. Probably a bit different for a Muslim woman in a deprived area who’s had it for the third time this week.

How is that a straw man argument KB? A straw man involves misrepresenting the point someone has made then criticising them for it rather than what they actually said – that’s patently not what I was doing. Are you ok? Trolling?

Stoner
    Free Member

ah, so now it’s all about white man’s privilege is it?

We can go the whole hog and make a safe space with trigger warnings for you if you need them too, petal?

I really don’t believe you

I’m heart-broken. Really, your belief in my own beliefs is critical to my personal sense of well-being. I’m nought without grum-approval.

You really are saying that not only may I not hold these tenets, but you are adamant that because you dont think I should hold them, you are determined that I can’t possibly be capable of holding them?

Nazi!

(there, let’s go the full Godwin shall we?)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

petal

Patronising, crypto-fascist imperialist sexist pig!

Etc.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

yes I do.
    Literally yes, a lot of people believe in genuine freedom of speech.

Whilst “a lot of people” is difficult amount to quantify I think it’s probably fair to say that the overwhelming majority of people fully support UK laws which make it illegal to stand on a platform and incite racial hatred.

In the same way that it is often illegal to tell lies about people or make false claims, thank goodness.

grum
    Free Member

ah, so now it’s all about white man’s privilege is it?

It’s not all about that no, but it’s probably a factor. Yet another straw man.

We can go the whole hog and make a safe space with trigger warnings for you if you need them too, petal?

And again.

You really are saying that not only may I not hold these tenets, but you are adamant that because you dont think I should hold them, you are determined that I can’t possibly be capable of holding them?

And again.

I haven’t said anything of the kind. I just find that grandiose absolutest black-and-white statements about freedom o speech don’t match up with reality.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s not all about that no, but it’s probably a factor

Probably? I think it would be remarkable if the fact that Stoner and konnabunny are both able–bodied affluent white male heterosexuals who are unlikely to ever face discrimination, or be the victims of hate crimes, didn’t influence their attitudes.

chewkw
    Free Member

Sometimes when it is the right time to say something you say it.

You say it with commitment. 😛

Tight lipped BritLand way is not going to have any effect on non-BritLanders to be honest. They interpret that as your weakness particularly since the 90s where the demand for Human Rights is being shouted so loudly … 😆

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Mealy-mouthed’ is closed to new replies.