Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • me woods wet
  • nonk
    Free Member

just bought a load of logs for the burner i reckon its not as well seasoned as they claim. whats the worst that can happen if i burn it?
    arse wrong forum.

nickegg
    Free Member

erm….it won't burn and even if it does it;ll not give off much heat.

What you want is kiln dried hardwood (with about 5% moisture, if that) but then you'd have to work for a cabinet makers 😉

Padowan
    Free Member

There's 2 types of wetness for logs, what I call surface wetness caused by it being rained on for example and there's internal moisture saused by lack of seasoning.

It'll be harder to burn in either case. In the first case, a day or so in the house next to the burner should dry it out enough, if its the latter then you risk sending stuff up the chimney that can cause tar/soot build ups. Burning any wet-wood also sends steam up the chimney that can also cause soot buildup.

For seasoning wood, in my experience, adequate airflow is more important than storing wood in a waterproof room.

coastkid
    Free Member

if its scyamore then its one of the few woods you can burn freshcut and green,if its birch or beech then you need to pile it under a lean-to or open ended shed where its out the rain but with a good airflow..,a sealed shed or cellar will just cause mildew on the wood..,needs to be where the air will dry it,dont stack it all neat just pile it like it came out a tipper..that way it will air better..,should burn after a week like this..

stompy

with about 5% moisture, if that

I'm a cabinet maker……13% is good for most timbers, it's what I buy and work with it at and also the moisture content hardwoods are generally kiln dried to…..which is handy 🙂 5%??? did you just make that up??

Anyway I don't know whether your wet wood will burn, these guys above seem to be talking sense.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

stack it for a bit be right

nonk
    Free Member

cheers guys i reckon it might be ok after a short time to dry.i was sorting theload outside and it seemed loads wetter than it does now that i have got some in.ta very much.

woodsman
    Free Member

Try it, it will either burn or it won't! You've got more chance with a woodburner – it won't do any harm, just try and get seasoned wood next time or, get some seasoned and mix it in.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Nonk, where did you buy it from?

bassspine
    Free Member

split a bit and check it out, if it is damp inside, save it till next year! It'll be a bitch to light if it's not seasoned properly. Plus the chimbley problems you've heard mentioned.

nonk
    Free Member

woodsman i think it is a bit of a mix that they have sent me now i have had a look.
    si i got it from the local estate sawmill (mostyn) wood for burners is a large part of what they do.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘me woods wet’ is closed to new replies.