Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • McQuaid vote for me or cycling faces Olympic uncertainty ?
  • Edric64
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/24026002

Is he really clutching at straws now ?

Shandy
    Free Member

Its all about Pat.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

After reading this I struggle to see how he can possibly get re-elected.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/09/news/leaked-file-alleges-deep-uci-corruption-cover-ups_302277

jameso

“When the reviews are being done, if you haven’t got a voice at the table, you could be in a difficult situation because there’s a lot of pressure and influence is coming from other sports that want to be in the Olympic Games.”

Yeah ok Pat. Shouldn’t that read “..if you haven’t got any credibility at the table..” or “..any ability to direct the gravy-train..”
    Because with all those velodromes and open roads around we’re under threat from what, radio-control car racing?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

He’s an utter tool. Cycling will never move on until he goes.

IanMunro
    Free Member

You’d have thought by now some of his colleagues would have had a polite word in his ear and told him to **** off and never come back.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

With any luck he’ll be gone by the end of the month when they have the election.
    Hopefully the truth about how crooked he is will come out after that.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have always thought of cycling as one of the mainstays of Olympic sport as along with running and swimming its a pass time people can relate to as most of us will have done it at some point .The format of track events only changed recently to put more womens sports in and BMX is now in .He really is trying to keep hold of the gravy train

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’d rather no cycling at the Olympics than MxQuid still be in charge for any longer. Not that his threat carries any weight at all.

MoreCashThanDash

Have they decided if his nomination is legal yet – seem to recall some realignment of the goalposts after his home nation and then his adopted home nation pulled their support?

He really is doing himself and the sport no good whatsoever, but I suspect that other sports are just as messy at the top

roverpig

It’s not a threat, it’s an attempt to win votes. Some of the people who vote make a lot of money out of the olympics. I doubt they really believe the “threat” either, but why take the risk? Most people will vote for whatever is best for them.

pondo

Have they decided if his nomination is legal yet – seem to recall some realignment of the goalposts after his home nation and then his adopted home nation pulled their support?

He got nomincations from, like, Thailand and Malaysia, and backdated an amendment to allow a candidate to stand without nomination from his home federation as long as any two other federations nominate McQu – sorry, the candidate. The UCI were invited to ask CAS if technically that was a legal thing to do, and the UCI went…

Nah.

christhetall
    Free Member

Pat McQuaid’s grasp on reality really is quite amazing isn’t ?

Does he really believe he has respect from the IOC ? First of all he was banned for life from competing due to racing (under a false name) in South Africa.

More recently he tried with all his power to block the USADA investigation into Armstrong. The fact that he was far too close to LA is obvious, the details of his involvement are slowly trickling out, but anyone with an ounce of integrity would have resigned long ago.

Does he really beleive that his rule-bending is good for the image of a tarnished sport ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You’d have thought by now some of his colleagues would have had a polite word in his ear and told him to **** off and never come back.

Problem is, they were probably all in it to, so Cookson needs enough votes from people with no involvement with Mcquaid and therefore nothing to lose by his going.

“When the reviews are being done, if you haven’t got a voice at the table, you could be in a difficult situation because there’s a lot of pressure and influence is coming from other sports that want to be in the Olympic Games.”

Problem is McQuaid’s sat on a Jack-in-a-box full of excrement below a very rapidly revolving fan, if he’s pushed off then Cycling’s going to go through another few years of being dragged through the mud (possibly resulting in expulsion form the Olympics?).

So he does unfortunately have a point.

clubber
    Free Member

The thing is that what’s becoming clear is the McQuaid is possibly fighting to stay out of jail, not just for the UCI presidency. If he loses (and jeez, if he doesn’t, there really is nothing that can be done to save the UCI), then assuming the allegations are shown to be true, the UCI should be putting this to whatever relevant legal system (Swiss, I guess) for investigation.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Flash enough cash to the Swiss and they are good at turning a blind eye, whatever the crime… 😆

clubber
    Free Member

Well yes, I did consider that but…

Nobby

The latest ‘leak’ seems to underline the depth of corruption at the highest level. A cheap ploy to keep any new face from the top job smacks of there being an awful lot to keep hidden.

IMHO of course.

scuttler

Latest Leak Link

Cool! Never seen the no-Daily-Mail-linking link before.

I now feel informed. It’s got a good telly supplement on a Saturday though (occasionally holiday with the in-laws).

wrecker
    Free Member

Cool! Never seen the no-Daily-Mail-linking link before.

Is censorship ever cool?
    Slow claps STW. Right on……. 🙄

clubber
    Free Member

It’s hardly censorship. They still provide the link to click through if you really want to.

Nobby

Ooops, didn’t realise that’d happen.

I suppose I could’ve linked to the site where I found the link to the Wail article 😐

Lifer
    Free Member

Censorship 😆

Nobby
    big_n_daft
    Free Member

Cookson has been rebranding himself a lot

here is his view on MTB in 2012

British Cycling has invested many hundreds of thousands of pounds into MTB XC over the years, far more than that discipline has brought into the organisation, so I don’t think there is a reason for anyone who is involved in it to moan!

Brian.

handily been deleted from the original forum he posted it in as part of an organised purge of his on-line missives

frying pan or fire?

clubber
    Free Member

He’s probably got a point though… 😉

KonaTC

Despite everything that has been written, published, said, intimated, etc, etc, etc

I predict a successful re-election 😥 😯

clubber
    Free Member

Well it’s a realistic prospect unfortunately.

The non-US/European nation federations hold plenty of votes and they quite like McQuaid and they see all the doping problems as a non-issue in many ways since it’s so focussed on the European pro-scene. Not to mention that many of their countries rate highly on the corruption index…

Nobby

You’re probably right.

I just wish LA would give a full confession – name people, companies, Drs, organisations, associations etc but then I guess they’ll be the ones looking after him once he’s settled all the actions against him.

ransos
    Free Member

frying pan or fire?

He’s obviously not perfect, but it’s difficult to see how anyone could be worse than the current incumbent.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How dissapointing would it be for Cookson to win, and actualy find there aren’t any skeleons in the closet?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    How dissapointing would it be for Cookson to win, and actualy find there aren’t any skeleons in the closet?

like who is funding his PR campiagn, round the world trip and legal advice? 😉

AlexSimon

The more I hear McQuaid, the more I can’t understand why anyone’s ever supported him in the past!

His new ‘statement’ is just unbelievable!

http://road.cc/content/news/93520-igor-makarov-sends-corruption-report-usdada-pat-mcquaid-demands-brian-cookson

clubber
    Free Member

Paul Kimmage posted a link to this thread at cyclingnews:

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=21431

Lucrative business, cycling administration, clearly…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Blimey. $40 million sure would buy some votes.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘McQuaid vote for me or cycling faces Olympic uncertainty ?’ is closed to new replies.