Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 384 total)
  • mcmoontertrackworld……. Vices
  • footflaps

F*** Me! Just looked up the price of a Record Vice (150mm) same as my £50 Stanley thing: List Price £1,087.38 Here.

Have you thought about beefing up security for your vices? Maybe leave a few bikes unlocked next to them as decoys?

cranberry
    Free Member

what is so good about Record vices?

The one I have my dad ( 76 ) remembers as a kid – it was bought, at the latest, in the 1940’s.

bencooper
    Free Member

Does anyone buy vices new? Someone must, but I never have – Bill’s Tool Store in the Barras is the place I go to for stuff like this. Last time I was there I got some ex-MOD V-blocks for £20 and a lovely big ex-MOD machine vice also for £20.

They also had some massive Eclipse vices, up to 8″ for about £100ish.

footflaps

I had no idea there was such an active market in 2nd hand vices. Although it seems they are collected more than used…..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Footflaps

i cant see a quick release on your stanley.

The 36 has quick release , this is one feature id like

bencooper
    Free Member

Oh I definitely use mine a lot – the 4″ Record (genuine Sheffield) is used for all wheelbuilding and wheel-related tasks, and there’s a no-name 5″ one that gets used for framebuilding – that’ll be replaced by the Swindens I’ve just acquired.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dismantled my old vice last night , found out why i had to tack weld the rotating casting

The casting for the clamp had split through the clamping bolt holes.

Real nasty looking casting full of inclusions and air bubbles . Not surprising really.

footflaps

i cant see a quick release on your stanley.

Yep, it’s missing one. Mine was the cheapest 150mm I could find. Probably good enough for what I’ll use it for though…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tbh thats how i work as well , buy the cheapest reasonable item , if i use it often and it breaks i replace it with something better.

Big ticket items i tend to spend a bit more to get something good first time.

At least if i dont use it again either the cheap item can be chucked/given away or the expensive item sold at not much of a loss.

footflaps

I figure you have to use something a bit to figure out what features you like / need and then maybe upgrade to something better. That’s really why it’s just screwed down, I wasn’t sure what position to stick it in with the rotating head, so I figured I’d just experiment a bit and move it if it didn’t work out well. Plus I need to fit a mill and lathe on the bench, so it may all move again at some point.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

If anyone is looking for a Record vice I have a couple hundred of them sitting here…

Ambrose

I’m looking for a record vice… how much? Which model/ condition?

teethgrinder

I have a Record No. 24.

It’s huge, but needs a refurb. Are they any good?

bencooper
    Free Member

Where are you all getting the model numbers from? My Record just says 1 TON on it, plus a casting batch number or something on the other side.

DezB
    Free Member

No idea what brand mine is. Mate’s dad gave it to when I helped clear his garage out.
    Has got a quick release. And is “screwed” to the bench. Hasn’t budged yet though.
    “Referb”? A vice? Are you ‘avin a larf? 🙂

footflaps

And is “screwed” to the bench.

How come he doesn’t get any stick?

I’m going to sulk….

mudshark
    Free Member

Well I’m another person surprised at the level of interest in vices. I do remember poking around a market and seeing a stall with lots of 2nd hand vices so suppose these were as some have above – some were around £20 I think. I did consider buying one but didn’t fancy lugging it home but later saw Lidl were selling one for £12 so bought it – seems I may have made a mistake but works fine so far. I attached it to the work bench my Grandad made me when I was 8 :).

DezB
    Free Member

ooh, i like that back plate on mudshark’s. I’m always resting stuff on there, only to knock it off when i use the vice!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Thats the vice i had before mudshark

Will upload photos of what broke.

May just have got a faulty one.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Where are you all getting the model numbers from

The model numbers are cast into the sides. I believe the models are almost unchanged until they were made abroad.

The strongest vices have ‘steel’ cast into the body. These have a steel slide rather than a cast slide which makes the virtually unbreakable.

Keep your eyes open, if you are lucky you might find a bargain.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/–Pi7Vjl6TLI/S6yj5l7YddI/AAAAAAAAFsA/JBnawzMgQ6M/s576/Mothership%2520%2526%2520Vices%2520008.JPG

sturmey
    Free Member

Record No1 mounted in the garage and a No3 I bought my Dad, then when he died I got it from the garage with the rest of his tools when we cleared it both made in England and yes they are quality compared with the tosh they get at work each time we break them.

Mugboo

Just bought a Parkinson No8 of eBay for £40. She’s a beaut.

What do the numbers mean?

stucol
    Free Member

Got a Record No 23 that was my dad’s and is at least 40 years old. Works perfectly of course.

Did have a falling out with a Pals wife when i happened to say that he had positioned his incorrectly. “He is an engineer, he knows better than you” she says. I had pointed out that it was bolted too far back on the bench. But apparently i was wrong.

I wondered what happened the first time he tried to clamp say a foot long pipe vertically in it !

Oh look, it hits the bench. Engineer my arse.

cchris2lou

Just had a look in the garage , and i have a Record number 1 written on one side and made in england on the other . Plus some instructions on maintenance . Previous house owner left it .

trail_rat
    Free Member

Rear jaw to be level or infront of bench. Anything else is just dumb.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The broken bit was cracked badly, used the hammer to finish the break to look at the corrosion and see how long its been split. Its been a while. It also looks like aero chocolate on the x section.

CHB

Just had a look at my old vice. It came with the house.
    Its a woden 192 woodworkers vice.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Woden vices are as good as Records.

I donated my old Woden to my brother for his new shed.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Wow would I like a vice, to be honest I would like my bloody garage back so that I can use it as my man cave as opposed to the misses stacking shite in it………….you have all made me sad and I feel unmanly….. 😥

matthewjb
    Free Member

Given we seem to be showing off, I forgot to post my other vice.

Workbench by Matthewjb, on Flickr

This one’s a woodworking one. Record 52 ED. Made in England

bedmaker

I felt compelled to go to the shed and check my vice after reading this 🙂

I’m happy to report that my rusty old vice is indeed a Record, with the all important Steel casting too 😛

No 84 quick release, donated by my FIL after clearing out a lockup. Probably liberated from Invergordon Distillery many moons ago.

Bolted to a steel bench in a manly fashion and when clamping something vertically it sits 50mm off the front of the bench.

konadad
    Free Member

lightening edit 😉

[/url] Untitled by konadad, on Flickr[/img]

perfect vice, no bolts, weighs a ton,

trail_rat
    Free Member

Huh ?

bencooper
    Free Member

Just got my Swindens back from ESP, and they’ve done a lovely job:

Not bad for £45 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

wont walk into that before coffee time anyway

bencooper
    Free Member

Original colour 😉 Someone had painted it with green shed paint, looked awful and needed a bucket of grease to get it moving freely, but I’ve just bolted it to the bench and it’s now as good as new.

DezB
    Free Member

Checked mine out the other day. Both Records – an 84 & a 1.

Both given to me 🙂

The 84’s referb didn’t cost me any money 😉

epicyclo

Just zipped out to the shed to check mine. 🙂

Record No 4. Bought it from a bicycle shop over 40 years ago when they were closing down to retire. The old guy reckoned it had been on the bench since he was an apprentice and probably from when the shop opened in the 1880s or 90s. Is that likely? Have they been making them unchanged all that time?

Cost me £1 and I had to lug it home 3 miles walking. I’ve never bolted it down, it’s too useful as a mobile tool, and hefty G clamps for when I want to fix it down. However it probably never gets the sort of heavy use it was designed for.

Now I’ll have to treat it with a bit more reverence. 🙂

P20

I blame all of you. Just bought a Record Number 2 off ebay….

😆 😆

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Checked mine – Record No 0 – Made in England.

I always have the smallest tool 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 384 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.