Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • McMoonter's Badass Tool Hire
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

When I bought the hydraulic power pack for my log splitter it came with a jackhammer and three bits. I’ve never had the occasion to use it.

My brother is converting the ‘ruin’ in his garden into a B&B and was charged with the responsibility of digging a track for some of the utilities.

Beneath the paving was a bedrock of sandstone. Two days with a hammer and chisel had cleared about a foot. In despair he asked if I had a tool that might make life a little easier.

I took the jackhammer over this morning and in three hours we excavated the trench. It’s a heavy hardcore piece of equipment. Those guys you see on the roadside make it look easy.

kcal

mcmoonter relative with castle in garden shocker 🙂

sorry, couldn’t resist!

Pigface
    Free Member

Ha ha that brings back some memories, on the first farm I worked on I had to use one, I was like a cartoon shaking and twitching all over the place, weighed a ton as well.

bruneep

mcmoonter relative with castle in garden shocker

That’s the shed, you should see the house.

LoCo
    Free Member

Arms like jelly and eyes like cookie monster at the end of the day? 😉 , not quite as bad as the vibrating road roller I had to use so bed in a supermoto track at donnington park, they make you feel very odd. 😯

theotherjonv

That thing with a suitably modified attachment might be what that woman off Mumsnet needs for her heavy duty trenchwork.

thepurist

Wall needs weeding…

wrightyson
    Free Member

I hate hydro packs! Rubbish compared to compressed air and so bloody heavy! How many fill ups with petrol? Thirsty girls those ones 🙁

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I think we ran it on and off for three hours, I didn’t check the tank level afterwards. They are unbelievably heavy. I carried into the site, by the end of the day I had to barrow it out.

I’ve never used a pneumatic one before but I’d imagine you’d need a really big compressor to power one.

wrightyson
    Free Member

No just a normal towable compresso, they’ve just got much more thump and speed. Hydros are great for jobs like that tho where there isn’t much access etc. Theres a knack to rolling the hoses up as well when you’ve done so they sit just nice on top of the unit. Forearms a aching in the morning…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Theres a knack to rolling the hoses up as well when you’ve done so they sit just nice on top of the unit

A skill I clearly have yet to learn.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Now go and do a painting 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

kcal – Member

mcmoonter relative with castle in garden shocker

sorry, couldn’t resist!

Technically it’s a palace (if that’s where I think it is) Old Tudor hunting lodge IRRC

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It is a Palace, owned by the Stewarts rather than the Tudors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkland_Palace

joshvegas
    Free Member

Tudor, TUDOR?!

Bloody cheek.

andrewh
    Free Member

‘Tudor’ used in this sense to indicate age (like Victorian for example)
    And I forgot that you had the Stewarts in charge up north some years before we got them down south 😳

qwerty
    Free Member

Child labour saves on your fatigue

also good for limited access work.

DezB
    Free Member

“Jackhammer”? I always thought they were called pneumatic drills.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Or in this case hydraulic drill…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘McMoonter's Badass Tool Hire’ is closed to new replies.