Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • McCulloch lawn mowers
  • Houns

Any good? My Nans Mountfield is on the way out and she has a few Homebase vouchers to use. Always been a Mounfield user so don’t know much about other brands.

Can you recommend this?

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=153637

Ta

timbur
    Free Member

I wouldn’t. Buy Mountfield again, Honda if you can afford it or Sanli if you can’t.
    Screwfix had a goodun in for £199 the other day IIRC.
    I’ve got a Mountfield Mutliclip that I use (semi professionally) and rate it highly. It doesn’t have a collection bag and assuming you stay on top of the lawn is great to use. Cuts very well. Always getting compliments on the work done.

Houns

If I had the choice it’d be Mountfield again, but she really wants to use these vouchers and they don’t stock them 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    timbur
    Free Member

Tis a tricky one then.
    Qualcast are unlikely to be made by Qualcast as Homebase have a licence to use their brand name I believe.
    McCullock use to be Electrolux, not sure now.
    That McCullock is a big old lump as well. Is you Nan fit and strong? Also, does she have a big enough garden to justify such a chunky bit of kit?

mugsys_m8

It’s in steel rahter than aluminum or abs plastic so will need hosing down or at least scraping to stop the grass’s acidity destroying the chasis. It does have a Briggs and Stratton engine* in it which whilst not Honda or Kawaskai is reputable.

*B and S’s do not have shear keys on the crankshaft, which means, as Mrs Mugsy found out when you try to mow a concrete pad it destroys the engine. B and S’s engines are fairly cheap to replace though….. (as Mrs Mugsy also found out)

mugsys_m8

It’s in steel rahter than aluminum or abs plastic so will need hosing down or at least scraping to stop the grass’s acidity destroying the chasis. It does have a Briggs and Stratton engine* in it which whilst not Honda or Kawaskai is reputable.

*B and S’s do not have shear keys on the crankshaft, which means, as Mrs Mugsy found out when you try to mow a concrete pad it destroys the engine. B and S’s engines are fairly cheap to replace though….. (as Mrs Mugsy also found out)

mugsys_m8

mugsys_m8

If I’ve said it once I’ve said it thrice…

pealy
    Free Member

Personally I’d avoid McCulloch, had a hedge trimmer that lasted about 6 months before collapsing in a heap.

I’ll also never buy Mountfield again. When I had a problem with the B&S engine and tried to make a warranty claim I was told that the engine was not covered by the 3 year warranty!

I’ve Heard good things about Viking mowers..

timbur
    Free Member

Viking = Stihl now.
    You won’t be finding them in homebase :O)

Houns

Actually it’s the chassis that’s rotted sue to the acid and her gardener not cleaning it properly.

My Nan won’t be using it 😆 just me and her ‘man’

timbur
    Free Member

(wanders out to the shed to clean mower)

Nothing to see here. Move on.

swavis

Just get one with bling wheels, ken? 😉

Programming 2nd opp by GavinBelton, on Flickr

2nd opp done by GavinBelton, on Flickr

New wheels ready for bushings by GavinBelton, on Flickr

Pimp my mower! by GavinBelton, on Flickr

duckman

The macculloch has a mental system where you have to unscrew the wheels to change mow hieght and it is a pain,and requires getting down on hands and knees to do it, complete pita.

Houns

Really?! Bugger that!

Houns

Here’s the extent of the rot

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

McCulloch / Flymo owned by Husqvarna. The Husqvarna branded kit is good stuff, but not cheap. The more basic brands are cheap, but not good.
    The Briggs on my Husqvarna is reluctant to start if it is a bit chilly, but easy if it’s warm. Good excuse not to mow lawns on a chilly day.

sweepy
    Free Member

I’m not a keen gardener, but after two cheapies I blew the budget and got a honda, they had some promotion going where I got it for not a lot more than that Mcculloch and its in a different class altogether.
    I would not buy McCulloch, if i had to i’d probably just get the cheapest they had and treat it as a consumable

pealy
    Free Member

You won’t be finding them in homebase :O)

True – but I’m loving the plastic chassis idea. My Moutnfield looks almost exactly like Houns’ rotten corpse, just covered in gaffa tape where I’ve tried to squeeze a couple more mows out of it.

£300 for a Viking MB443T at my local shop so not much more than the OP link, if a little smaller and much, much, much lighter..

Viking – Yeah! Mountfield – boooooo.

Houns

Ok… managed to talk her out of spending her Homebase vouchers on a mower. So, have max £300 to spend on anything…. Over to you to suggest the best in this budget….. Go!

franksinatra

So, have max £300 to spend on anything…. Over to you to suggest the best in this budget

For the win

http://www.lawnmowersdirect.co.uk/product/push-4-wheel-petrol-rotary-lawnmowers/honda-hrg415pd

And you will have £1 left over for Haribo’s!

Houns

Hmm did see that but it’s push, need self propelled ideally

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘McCulloch lawn mowers’ is closed to new replies.