Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • mbuk review of the 456c
  • DT78
    Free Member

Quite surprised to read they only gave it 2.5 out of 5 given the good things I read about it on the forums. Apparently brutally stiff on the descents but it feels soft under power.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Low skilled marketing vulnerable amateurs on the internet not knowing as much as professional cyclists shocker.

It’s probably not as good as the plebs think it is, but they’ve spent what is still several hundreds of pounds on a “bargin” and are probably unwilling to admit to themselves that it’s not the best thing in the world.

GaryLake
    Free Member

This should go to 100 no sweat…

Bazz

Whilst i wouldn’t necesarilly disagree with you i also wouldn’t believe a word that mbuk prints either.

clubber
    Free Member

Low skilled marketing vulnerable amateurs

I read that and assumed you meant the mbr lot 🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

Honest question: How can a hardtail be soft under power but stiff on descents?

Garry_Lager

Good question julian. ‘Soft under power’ – something a track cyclist might say about a bike, not some chimps dicking around on the trail.

clubber
    Free Member

a very simplified answer – soft under power is side.to.side flex. soft on bumps is vertical flex.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve never seen a bad review of a bike in a magazine. On-one must have really pissed off MBUK somehow.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Honest question: How can a hardtail be soft under power but stiff on descents?

A bike could be pretty solid in the stays but quite wobbly in the BB area which could potentially give you a harsh ride but crap power delivery?

matt_outandabout

Superficial – Member

I’ve never seen a bad review of a bike in a magazine.

I see a few, often for all sorts of minor misdemeanours. BUT there still can be duff bikes out there. I didn’t get how big n oversize carbon could be ‘flexible’ – after a good look, I headed back to the ‘likely to be ok’ steel HT….

crikey
    Free Member

not some chimps dicking around on the trail.

This is poetry, and sums up so much of the current state of mountain biking in the UK.

I salute you.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Low skilled marketing vulnerable amateurs on the internet not knowing as much as professional cyclists shocker.

It’s probably not as good as the plebs think it is, but they’ve spent what is still several hundreds of pounds on a “bargin” and are probably unwilling to admit to themselves that it’s not the best thing in the world.

So its “plebs” is it? Elitist dick on STW shocker, and its bargain btw 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

I have mentioned once or twice on here that the c456 is harsh unless you have a carbon post on it, but I don’t expect anyone paid any attention.

I also use a carbon bar and together with the post it smooths things out nicely.

Personally I find it climbs great and the response to pedalling is very immediate. I’d question whether the cheap wheelset on the On-One full builds might be more responsible for makign it feel “soft” than the frame.

But I’m just a chimp dicking about so what do I know?

Low skilled marketing vulnerable amateurs on the internet

What marketing? 😀

bullheart
    Free Member

There aren’t enough biscuits in the house for this one.

I’m off to buy a cake or something.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Lets throw this into the mix too…it’s a review of a Boardman bike…but check the first comment below the article

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-boardman-team-carbon-12-45675

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

I dont have anything relevant to say about the 456 but just wanted to express my opinion that Doddy is a nobber.

s4rpf
    Free Member
    Euro
    Free Member

Not this review then?

456c review

DT78
    Free Member

Nope, its in this months mag (April 12) comparing various long travel hardtails

That boardman thread is quality

munrobiker
    Free Member

its bargain btw

You, sir, have not been on here long enough 😉

tony24
    Free Member

soft under power is a comment about the 456 i cannot understand. There must be something in the groupset or the bike set up as the BB area of the 456 is huge and the chainstays are well oversized in comparison to most carbon frames. Never noticed any flex in the frame under power in over a year of use…

Brake-neck
    Free Member

You, sir, have not been on here long enough

P.M me when I have been will ya 🙂

saddsak
    Free Member

I was excited as always to get my mbuk this morning and this review really spoilt my cornflakes. Soft under power but stiff on descents? I must not be a good enough rider to Know that my bike is rubbish.

float
    Free Member

I must not be a good enough rider to Know that my bike is rubbish.

you wouldnt be the only one on this forum 😉

saddsak
    Free Member

Seriously has anyone else found this to be true? And why does this review contradict so many others by “professional cyclists”?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Does this mean the c456 is laterally compliant and vertically stiff?

wi11
    Free Member

I own a c456, and do not find it flexi under power or too harsh! I agree with others here, that it could be a set up issue (especially in the wheels), or as someone said here, that On One must of upset MBUK somehow!! There are many good reviews, even on Bikeradar itself??!! I’ve been riding hardtails for 14 years and full sus for 5, and spent 7 years working in cycle shops so have quite a good idea on the feel of a good bike!!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The thing is, On One bikes look shite.

saddsak
    Free Member

The thing is GaryGlitter, you don’t have to like the way my bike looks 😉

mase

What a load of rubbish. Anyone who has ridden an On-One 456 Carbon will know what an awsesome bike it is. I would say it is the complete oppossite to the reveiw (which I haven’t read, but picking up the thread above)…hard under power, soft on decents. It accelarates like a bullet and down hill or on techy stuff is stable, soft and forgiving.

I also ride a Whyte T120, the On-One accelerates and climbs far quicker and is really not far behing on the decents….not bad for a hardtail!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Saddsak- And neither do mbuk, hence the rubbish review. Doddy has his finger on the pulse of what’s rad at the moment, and plastic cheapo hardtails ridden by middle aged crisis lifers are far from cool. The man has more fashion in his little finger than anyone else on a bike. He is da bomb diggy.

smell_it
    Free Member

Lol’s at glittergary, late night tr[list]olling is easy but getting up at 6am to start again is real commitment to the cause.

Paceman
    Free Member

I don’t believe Doddy & co at MBUK are any more qualified to review bikes than most of us on here, and they’re certainly more compelled to take advertising budget and the latest fickle trends into account. Just read the review for what it is and don’t worry about it.

rOcKeTdOg

Looks awful and now confirmed rides awful, no wonder they have been trying to give them away lately

andyl46
    Free Member

Wow. Looks like a bike I thought was brilliant isn’t so great as some bloke in a magazine reviewing an entirely different build to mine didn’t like it. And here’s me thinking it was great, how wrong could I be? Oh wait, there’s a link to another review with a different build, but they like it! Phew, time to withdraw my ebay ad…

Strange that all the people I’ve lent it too who thought it was good enough to buy one for themselves could have been wrong too. Now where is that pinch of salt?

mase

Andy

You are right. 2.5/10 in one review and criticised. 4/5 in another (from the sister magazine) and praised! How can you rely on such inconsistancy? I windsurf as well and the reviews are exactly the same, great in one mag, crap in the next. In the end it is what you get on with.

Anyone who has ridden one knows they’re a great vlue for money bike.Ok, the brand may not be fashionable, but to people in the know they’re a great bike.

To those criticising the looks, well that just personal taste. If we all had the same taste we would have the same cars, same cloths, same girlfriend!

jam-bo

I’d listen to a magazine review more than the ‘I’ve got one so it must be good’ brigade.

Shackleton

I find the MBUK/WMB/BikeRadar group to be about the least objective bunch of publications available. Only a step above the “ur bike iz sarasin” posts of many of their forum inhabitants.

I’ve ridden a friends c456 back to back with my own steel 456. The steel one felt better at coping with bigger drops and choppy ground but the carbon one felt much smoother over trail chatter and felt more nimble due, I guess, to the weight.

The builds were pretty much identical so I’m happy that it was a fairly objective test and that the c456 isn’t just a lighter version of the steel one. However, it wasn’t the result I was expecting and seems to differ from online forum accounts and the mag review spectrum out there.

Bottom line – a good bike is one that is good for you, not what a journo or forumite says!

mase

Well said Shackleton! I have had bikes I don’t like and got rid of them to someone who likes them. Compared to other hard tails I have ridden the 456 is a great bike. But that’s my preference!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘mbuk review of the 456c’ is closed to new replies.