Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • MBUK Freebie this month….Timmy Mallet Content!!!!!!
  • laggingbehindagain
    Free Member

Did anyone buy MBUK from ASDA this month and receive the EXTRA free gift exclusive to ASDA (not just the Allen key’s).

They must be the crappiest ‘bright blue’ sunglasses in the world, look like what Timmy Mallet used to wear on children’s TV in the 80’s.

Is it safe to say….the more freebies with a magazine = poor content?

lipseal
    Free Member

Pictures please.

chakaping
    Free Member

Haha, I had an attractive girl compliment me on my sunglasses a couple of weeks ago.

They were the last free pair MBUK gave away.

8)

Oxboy
    Free Member

lol It’s turned into a kids magazine, my kids judge the quality of a comic by the number of free gifts sellotaped to the cover!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Mbuk is still my favourite, free gifts or not. The only free gifts given away with stw are a mid life crisis and a sense of smugness and superiority. Oh, and the idea that sleeping rough is somehow good. How very boho-chic, dahling! 🙂

philfive
    Free Member

I have a pair of green ones from the last time they gave them away.

morgs
    Free Member

got mine from sainsbobs….got a free head cover thingy that can meake a beanie, or a snood, or all sorts of other crap!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

the free gifts are useless . . .

once had a trail tool that disintegrated and fell apart in my hands . .

and the other day, the freebie belt they gave away was taken off with scissors and binned after the buckle mechanism wouldn’t open. . .

rubbish. I prefer the stickers!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I find MBUK freebies to be often rather good. Despite my usual sniffing at them initially, I seem to find I end up using them and eventually finding them invaluable. For instance, the MBUK ‘buff’ that was given away last autumn became my one piece of essential warming kit, until I lost it somewhere in the woods at Coed-y-Brenein the other week 🙁

(And somewhat remarkably, despite 20+ years of riding, the DVD with Fabien Barrel actually taught me how to go round corners properly.)

As for the mag, I think it’s great – in a kind of, you-laugh-AT-it-because-its-so-utterly-utterly-stupid, way. The images are bold and punchy, which gives you something pretty and inspiring to look at once the puerile drivel in between them has been read. And it’s full of new shiny things to look at. Shiny.

They also appear to have some interest in maintaining the interest of their readers, which, although often misguided, is more than can be said for another (very much closer to home) MTB mag.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

MBUK socks are the bestest! I have about 5 pairs now! 😀

whinosp
    Free Member

Their socks are great, shame they are all Norco.

I enjoy reading MBUK and with no sense of irony. It is silly and can be attention deficit, but then so is the sport of mountain biking.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh, I have MBUK sox with “MBUK” on them! 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Best free socks are my MMB ones – still going strong after 10 years or so!

Those Norco ones are alright but come up a bit small.

cookeaa

Which ever mag’ next gives away a free neoprene Chainstay guard will have my business…

My helmet light is attached using 2 free MBUK Watchstraps acquired ~15 years ago now and sat in the spares box until required…

I have actually been known to wear the free MBR buff when I get really really cold, as it still keeps me warm despite looking shite…

Have ST ever given away freebies on the cover? I’ve never noticed any on the shelf… If they were to do so, What do we all think they should Tape on there?

I propose: a selection of Nespresso sachets and an Audi Broshure…

D0NK

Got some glasses last year, my 1 year old loved them.

free neoprene Chainstay guard – check
    free MBUK Watchstraps – check
    free MBR buff – check
    free socks were too small
    😳

chakaping
    Free Member

cookeaa – drop me an email with your address if you’d like one of the free chainstay covers from a previous issue

ST cover gift? A pair of rose-tinted sunglasses perhaps?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

You are all forgetting the greatest free gift MBUK ever gave away:

The Mint Sauce Keyring.

Can anyone lend me one for a few days?

robsoctane
    Free Member

Mint Sauce beer mats… used every weekend & I do love Mint Sauce!

Shame on me, eh? 😳

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I had a Mint Sauce sticker on my bike until a few days ago, then it peeled off in the wash. 😥

The Norco socks are ok and fit my size 9’s nicely.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

They gave away one of those three prong allen keys a few years back that is still in regular use in my workshop, along with the bottle opener that holds my keys. Not sure I’ll be wearing the faux ray bans though – too much of a ‘sunnies snob’ for that.

oldfart

I still wear the free socks from Maximum Mountain Bike magazine and how long ago was that ?Aireators by De Feet , no wonder they went out of business !

superdale
    Free Member

The three prong allen key is very useful – kept in the car for when I need to tighten up the seatpost at the trail centre. Singletrack did the best gift a STW hip flask – maybe this was just for subscribers but only thing better would have been if they had filled it 😆

bigjim

Is MBUK still just lots of pictures of Doddy or is it OK now? I was subscribed for most of the 90’s but haven’t bought it for years.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

They, ahem… ‘killed’ Doddy off a few issues back. He’s now been relegated to only a few pages of his ugly gurning.

I think they must’ve realised that even the remaining three 14 year old boys in the UK who were previously sold on MBUK as a kind of Doddy ‘inspiration’ fodder for lonely nights, were beginning to tire of it.

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s less Doddy content and they’ve cleared out all those separate pages for freeride, trials, DJ etc in the back.

It has got better IMO. Worth a try just for the Timmy Mallet glasses probably.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘MBUK Freebie this month….Timmy Mallet Content!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.