Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Mazda MX5
  • benz
    Free Member

So….

Fancy a retro little rwd car with soft top for the summer.

Always thought a Mk1 MX5 was a bit ‘soft’ but not so sure now. Considering a jap import with 1.8 engine, LSD, etc.

25% of the cost of an Elise but 80% of the experience?

dannybgoode

Just check the availability of insurance on a jap import. Some are easy to get cover for, others not.

Other than that I would love an MX-5. Always wanted one…

andyfb78
    Free Member

Mx5 mk1 is bloody good fun on real roads. It is not Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious, and is comfotable.
    I desperately wanted an Elise, and my friend who is a vehicle dynamics expert for a big car company told me to get an mx5, I never regretted it.
    Mk1 1.8iS UK car. Also make sure you run it on the proper 14″ wheels and don’t muck about with the suspension, the factory got it right… for real roads. If you want a track car that’s a different question..

Cougar

Considering a jap import

Mate of mine had one of those for a while, badged up as an Eunos Roadster. Seemed good so long as you could put up with your mates going “hur hur hur, ‘anus'” in a Beavis and Butthead stylee.

benz
    Free Member

Ok,

How about Mk1 RS-Ltd?

h1jjy
    Free Member

They make it drive and sound like a Lotus Ellan, but made it reliable.
    But the best you can afford, keep away from modified ones and get a UK spec if you can

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with a standard car tbh. RS Ltd is nice but very rare. 1.6 is just as fun IMO, just not the later UK model with 90hp.

sc-xc

Always thought a Mk1 MX5 was a bit ‘soft’ but not so sure now. Considering a jap import with 1.8 engine, LSD, etc.

Get used to the controls before taking acid..

TheFlyingOx

Great cars. We had an early Jap 1.6 and it was bombproof, and I’d have another in a heartbeat.

Not sure about a) trouble insuring imports, or b) avoiding modifications.

a) the majority of my cars have been imports and I’ve never had a single issue getting insurance. They’re no more expensive to insure either.

b) if you get one that’s been modified properly and sensibly you can end up with a much better car. Things like lighter wheels, better tyres, sports springs/coilovers, brakes, exhaust & induction can all lead to a more involving drive.

An alternative, with more oomph but just as reliable, would be a mk2 MR2. Maybe bit chavvy and their reputation for a snappy rear end isn’t unfounded, but they’re roughly the same pricepoint as the MX5 and are really excellent cars. No soft top but the t-bars are almost as good.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The MX5 is not like an Elise.

The MX5 in reality is probably the better ‘ easy to drive with fun car ‘ . It’s also reliable and can carry your shopping.

The Elise is just a bonkers good, road race car, that is made of plastic, breaks, isn’t that comfy. But for pure driving seat of your pants making the road come alive the Elise is better

jonwe
    Free Member

I had an early mk1 1.6 115bhp for 13 years. Great fun and utterly reliable. The 1.8 mk1 was more powerful but heavier so performed pretty much the same. At the same time they lowered the 1.6 power output to 90 bhp. So you want the early 1.6 or a 1.8.

benz
    Free Member

Yes, not an Elise but then significantly cheaper and probably does all I want.

TBH my mate has a Westfield with tuned Zetec, etc, etc. fine for a short blast but not for my wife and 8 year old daughter going out and about. Another mate had a 340R. Nuts!

Good guidance, I’ll seek the best I can afford and take it from there. BBR would be nice.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Look for a MK2 – just as nice to drive, bit more creature comforts plus newer. Not much difference money wise

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’ve had a Mk1 (import) a Mk 2 and 2.5. Had no issues at all insuring the import and would certainly have a mk1 over a mk2. I had a mk3 mr2 which I prefered to the Mk2 mx5’s but the mk1 was my fave as it was more back to basics. I would look at and drive as many as you can before you buy one, and buy the very best you can afford. I wouldn’t avoid a modded one provided it’s been modded sensibly and well. EDIT what Ox said +1

legend
    Free Member

yourguitarhero – Member
    Look for a MK2 – just as nice to drive, bit more creature comforts plus newer. Not much difference money wise

but also the real possibility of inside-out chassis rot

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I’ve got a Mk1 1.8 red Eunos sitting in my garage that I really should do something with. It was my pride and joy before my latest car arrived and I could not bring myself to part with it but I could do with the space right now.

Email me if it is of any interest to you.

Ian

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Mazda MX5’ is closed to new replies.