Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • maybe a stupid question, converting qr skewer to axle
  • pondy
    Free Member

no idea if this is possible so sorry if its a silly question but i have a hope pro 2 evo rear hub on my hemlock, it uses the small qr skewer, is it possible to buy 10mm hope adaptors and an axle to convert? i have a 15mm axle up front with my marzocchi forks, thinking its a stronger setup with an axle over the skewer?

somthing like this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31831

10mm ones of these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=68578

jimw
    Free Member

Yes, I had this setup on a set of Pro II evos. I used a DT Swiss RWS skewer, but the superstar ones are OK apparently. I got the Hope adaptors from CRC

deano8
    Free Member

Superstar 10mm ones are good and only £7.99 and with a choice of colours.

pondy
    Free Member

thanks for the reply, does anyone know if the hope adaptors are just the replacement cups that push into the side of the hub like i had to change when i got new forks? just noticed another thread stating its a complete axle which the bearings sit on?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

What about the frame ?

pondy
    Free Member

What about it?

theblackmount
    Free Member

I guess he means the Dropouts. Providing your Dropout slots are >10mm then it will work. Still “just” a QR though, I’m not sure how much stiffer that set up is over a standard QR.

T666DOM

For the Evo hubs you just need the 10mm end caps. The old pro 2 hub needed a new hub axle and end caps.

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 for Superstar 10mm QRs.

Should be easy peasy with a Pro 2 Evo

I’m not sure how much stiffer that set up is over a standard QR.

Made a noticeable difference on my old Mondraker.

takisawa2

I always liked the 10mm “bolt-up” option, where the large bolts screwed directly in to the axle ends. The back wheel always felt nice & solid. Not sure if its available on the Evo, would have thought so.
    Like this…

jpeg by pten2106, on Flickr

stevied
    Free Member

+2 for SS skewer. Great for the money..

oldnick

I ran a Hope Pro II with the 10mm axle but bolted through to stiffen up the back of my old Hustler, worked a treat. The Superstar 10mm QR is almost as stiff and saves carrying/losing a spanner.

pondy
    Free Member

thanks for reply guys. i have measured the drop outs on the hemlock and they are 10mm so am going get the end caps and ss axle.

already have the ungraded stiffer seat stays, rockers on order and currenly have the stiffer chain stays on this cotic, it always felt abit loose at the back of the bike when hard in corners, hopefully should be ok after this

pondy
    Free Member

ss qr and hope ends ordered, all for just under £20 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

Tempted to try this on my Soul with Pro 2 Evos, will wait to hear how your Hemlock gets on!

sugdenr
    Free Member

Standard qr dropouts are 9mm front (×100mm) and 10mm rear (135mm) – i.e. not 9mm both ends as is popular misconception.
    On my Bfe i have 9mm front rws and 10mm rear rws bolt throughs both on pro2 . I just drilled out the front with a 9mm drill but back needed an axle although if you have a lathe you can just drill out the qr rear axle too. Pro2 evo use bigger bearings for back hub than pre-evo (pro2 had axle failures with 12mm rear bolt through axle because axle was too thin due to smaller id bearings) so i understand they use just end caps like front ergo i bet you can just drill out the std qr caps with 10mm drill depends what id spacer there is in there if there is one

Scamper
    Free Member

Swapped from pro2 evo qr to 10mm dt Swiss rws on my Soul. I like it a lot.

chiefgrooveguru

Swapped from pro2 evo qr to 10mm dt Swiss rws on my Soul. I like it a lot.

So does it feel different or is it just placebo effect? 😉 I’ve a Hope rear skewer at the moment and to be honest it’s a bit rubbish, as was my Hope seat QR – a shame because all the other Hope bits (BB, headset, hubs, brakes) on my bike are great – therefore something that doesn’t need checking as often would be nice but something that helps the back end track better in the gnarr would be better!

james
    Free Member

“I used a DT Swiss RWS skewer, but the superstar ones are OK apparently”
    Superstar are steel axle so not the lightest
    DT are light but not cheap
    American classic do some in between in price/weight that appear the same as the superstar but with an aluminium axle
    IIRC about £17 and 80g (SSC being £8 and 110g-ish)

I went for DT RWS (bit lower than RRP but still £30) to stop me worrying about an external cam QR lever. Newer RWS levers aren’t supposed to strip the teeth like the old ones did, so I’ve read. I’ve yet to find out how long this one lasts

pondy
    Free Member

these turned up yesterday, fitted them today to my hemlock and it all fits fine, not sure if its made it any better as my forks are still in italy 🙁

Northwind

I tried a 10mm bolt-in and a 10mm fat QR in my Hemlock… With the old swingarm I felt a wee bit of difference but nothing to get excited about. With the new swingarm, I couldn’t feel any difference. YMMV of course- I’m not overly fussed about stiffness tbh, I think we’d hear much less about it if it didn’t generate such easy marketing/review lines 😉

I quite liked the Hope bolt-in, it’s light and gives 2 points of securing

pondy
    Free Member

i spoke to paul at cotic and he said it wouldnt make a differance, i wanted a new skewer on the back what was a big more bling so if changing that why not tyre a 10mm one.

also running the 2011 chainstays nut should have 2011 seat stays and rockers tomorrow

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘maybe a stupid question, converting qr skewer to axle’ is closed to new replies.