Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • May I ? WORST bit of bike clothing ?
  • loughor
    Free Member

For me, Fox Sergeant shorts. Outers garbage, in the bin within 2 months. Inners were nice but also were baggy in no time.

Northwind

Good one…

Gore waterproof socks. Not in any way foot shaped. Just plain horrible.

hairyscary

Any padded short liner or Lycra shorts that are non-bib.

Bib-shorts just feel so much better.

mboy
    Free Member

On One Merino tops that shrink a full size every (cool) wash. Cheap, for a reason methinks!

kiwijohn

Ground Effects original cotton Supertanker shorts.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Sealskin socks.

stevious

Some Kona shorts I got from Wiggle years ago that ALWAYS snagged on the saddle causing me to almost fall off.

And some Gore winter gloves that have a painful seam in the crook of the thumb. You know, where the handlebars of bikes go.

Lummox

Sealskinz socks- garbage

Jamie
    Free Member

Planet-X Windproof Gloves. They’re not as it goes.

njee20
    Free Member

Spesh windproof bibtights. Designed for fat Americans with epic cankles. No stirrups either, so you get shit 3/4 lengths. Bib straps a horrible length too. Didn’t think you could design something so bad, let alone charge £100 for it!

mashiehood
    Free Member

anything made by mavic – its just dosent fit regardless of whatever size i bought!

jameso

Pretty much every pair of gloves I’ve used from a number of brands. Why can’t anyone make a glove with a durable finger tip area that doesn’t split or wear through way before the rest shows much wear?

(recommendations?)

bol

Planet X roubaix bibs. Might as well have just supplied them with safety pins rather than the shite zip. Again, cheap for a reason.

zilog6128

Sealskinz socks- garbage

lol. The first pair of (non-cycling) sealskinz gloves I bought are amazing, still in use 6 years later. Everything else I’ve bought (2x pairs socks, 3x pairs cycling gloves) has been terrible. I swear I’m not going to give them any more money!!

bellys
    Free Member

Sealskinz total crap.

Digger90
    Free Member

Another vote for Fox Sergeant shorts – so flimsy they tore in the changing room when trying them on! 😯

Lycra inner felt awful compared to my other shorts… left in a hurry!

Euro
    Free Member

jameso – Member

Pretty much every pair of gloves I’ve used from a number of brands. Why can’t anyone make a glove with a durable finger tip area that doesn’t split or wear through way before the rest shows much wear?

(recommendations?)

Try these then cut your fingernails and learn to sow.

I’ve had a pair for 3 years now. A couple of fingers have required a bit of a touch up with the needle and thread, but they’re good for a few more years yet. At £10, they’re worth a punt.

Houns

Love my sealskins socks!

However my Altura waterproof gloves aren’t, they are gash

ads678

Surely this is totally down to your individual shape and size. I’ve some fox shorts not sure which but the inners are still great after about 4 years!!

In a way, as comfy as they are, bib short without a fly are the worst design ever.

trail_rat
    Free Member

All sealskinz products ive bought have been = worst

And aldi windproof bib longs , could fit two of me inside the bib part but they only come to mid calf – have stirrups too but no was i would use em. Long socks and they work for commuting on a brooks atleast.

alexpalacefan

Another vote for O-O merino jerseys. Mine’s now suitable for an 8 yr old.

APF

coatesy
    Free Member

Had two pairs of Sealskinz socks, the ones I stretched pulling them on leaked badly, the ones I rolled on carefully worked fine.

vondally
    Free Member

Merino wool ….cold wet expensive….many many brands tried

sealskin socks…………terrible

matt_outandabout

Endura Strike gloves and Decathlon baggy shorts.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Altura attack jacket.

All the taped seams leaked and the zip fell apart after 8-9 uses

jameso

cut your fingernails and learn to sow.

: ) I do, and can sew enough to repair bike kit and have made some basic bikepacking gear that’s lasted well. But gloves, don’t understand why most brands just can’t make them properly / all-over durable. Split and worn seams, wearing through the tips.. tricky to repair that well enough to bother.
    TLD, not used their kit. Will give them a go tho, ta.

Bregante

Race Face Aquanot Jacket. Every zip disintegrated and was easily the hottest, least breathable bag of garbage I’ve ever wasted 80 notes on. Thankfully CRC were ace and refunded me. Put me off everything with the RF logo.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Sealskins? Brilliant. Waterproof and comfy. How can socks not work?

Merino? My Howies tops are going strong 4 years after I bought them. Great for all conditions; minimum care required.

Merino wool ….cold wet expensive

Maybe Sir needs a better quality outer, and a lesson in layering? How can you be cold and still sweat enough to make them wet?

vondally
    Free Member

Tried many brands…..worst being howies…..and all expensive

As a sweaty fellow the material wets out very quickly and when stopped holds little warmth as I cool rapidly, becomes a soggy wet cold blanket.

As for layering well tried it with gore products, omm products and event products not to mention a few windproof brands like pertex.

I have a good understanding of layering systems…..for me wool has a place but not in high aerobic sports for me individuals who sweat buckets.

See ed oxleys comments in stw article as well.
    Oh sealskins have that great big hole in the top that let’s water in

shotsaway
    Free Member

1) Any DHB merino base layer. I’ve got 2 Icebreaker merino base layers that are still going strong after 7 and 3 years. DHB merino seems to last a matter of months before holes start appearing everywhere. I bought one around Christmas 2011 and I sent it back in June last year. Wiggle replaced it but the replacement is even worse. It looks like the moths have been at it! Note to self: Stick with Icebreaker.

2) Endura Humvee’s shorts – Just rubbish, which is weird considering I love the Endura Singlestrack shorts and the discontinued Endura Burner shorts.

3) Fox Livewire Jersey – I bought one of these in summer of 2009 or 2010. I spent every ride sweating like a rapist and the jersey held all the sweat (I would have been better off wearing a bin liner). I sold it on eBay after 6 weeks for a £5 less than I’d paid for it. If you need a cheap but decent summer jersey buy the Endura Humvee (Odd when their shorts are rubbish).

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Wow it’s amazing different opinions. I have lots of Planet X merino wool tops love them they never shrink! Must be you boys washing them wrong too high a spin! I love merino and I have lots of it icebreaker, embers merino all great stuff.

I can’t think of anything super gash as shorts etc will have different cuts depending on your shape. As for someone commentinf on Aldi bib tights what did you expect you must have got change from £20! Pay peanuts get shite! !!!

zippykona

I machine wash both my On One merino tops and they are fine. I put it on handwash wool and smiley faces all round.

RustySpanner

One-One XXL green and white top from a few years ago.

The sizing was a bit off:
    Now worn by nephew’s Action Man, who also finds it a ‘bit tight’.

nuke

Endura Singletrack gloves

Oh sealskins have that great big hole in the top that let’s water in

That’s why I get Livestrong-style wrist bands and put them over the top of the sock. The higher socks are also better at preventing this as the water doesn’t splash as much on to your leg to then run down into the sock.

RustySpanner

And aldi windproof bib longs , could fit two of me inside the bib part but they only come to mid calf – have stirrups too but no was i would use em. Long socks and they work for commuting on a brooks atleast.

As for someone commentinf on Aldi bib tights what did you expect you must have got change from £20! Pay peanuts get shite! !!!

Sorry, 2 pairs here, both perfect. 2006 or 2007, only worn now and then in the winter but the fit is excellent and the quality fine.
    I think they’re designed for the more spherical individual. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Pay peanuts get shite!

Aldi winter gloves must be an anomaly then.

RustySpanner

And the jackets. And shells. Don’t forget the socks. Oh, and the bibshorts. And the toolkits, speedos and lights.

In fact

Pay peanuts get shite!

is an absolute crock of donkey toss these days.

I prefer “Not very bright? Buy overpriced shite”.
    Just as true as any other generalisation. 😀

sambob
    Free Member

Madison Tempest 3/4s = Not 3/4s, come down to my knee. Taped seams split after 6 rides, inner separated from outer in 7 rides. Utter crap. Now have Enudra Superlites and they’ve been brilliant.

zelak999
    Free Member

Gore Tex waterproof shorts- totally crap fit……… Too small round the knees for pads and too big round my arse so they keep slipping down.
    Wish I bought the Endura ones now!,

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Sealskin socks.

A lot of people mentioning Sealskin socks here, I really like mine! They work perfectly for wet rides, but eventually the water does seep in through the top after a few hours. My feet still seem to stay warm even when they get wet though!

My worst would probably be a set of BBB Aqua shield gloves that turned into huge water-logged sponges on my first really wet ride with them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘May I ? WORST bit of bike clothing ?’ is closed to new replies.