Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Maxxis Wide Trail – 35mm+ rim only?
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

Got new fangled 650b wheels, looking at tyres, and for the usual Minions I tend to go for I see these “Wide Trail” versions. Don’t really know much about them except they say they’re for wide rims, 35mm.

Got wheels that are wide rim but 33mm.

Should I therefore stick with regular tyres?

Would there really be a noticeable difference in real use anyway or is this just more marketing fluff?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Ah, scrap that. Says 35mm inner width. Checking specs of my wheels, rim width is 33 but inner is 26.

Go for regular then I guess.

honourablegeorge

I thought it was 30mm… have one going on 29mm flows

philstone

I’ve heard that 25ish mm you can run WT – its apparently no different really to running 2.35 Schwalbes – the Maxxis 2.3 measure up small, and the 2.35 Schwalbes are large, meaning that 2.5 Maxxis are almost the same as Schwalbe..

deadkenny
    Free Member

Yeah, got a 2.35 Schwalbe and come up huge. Prefer the Minion though. Not sure I want it as big as that, though if there’s a benefit with wider rims then maybe.

The 35mm, I’m just going by NextDayTyres…
    “WIDE TRAIL (WT) CASING IS OPTIMIZED FOR 35MM INNER WIDTH RIMS”

Though WT are all out of stock anyway.

They’re also heavier. I’m looking for light as possible.

honourablegeorge

Maxxis displayed them at a show on 26mm internal Enves

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Maxxis say they are being run by downhill teams using 30mm inner widths with good results – and even down to 26mm.

So much so in fact, that Maxxis are now in the process of eventually converting all of their gravity focused 650b/29 range over to the Wide Trail standard. You won’t be able to get normal minions for much longer.

benpinnick

Im running WT Minions on 30mm internal and I like it.

honourablegeorge

Cool… good to hear, Ben just got a DHF and DHR in the posr.

Grace
    Free Member

Yep – I have a WT DHF on front of mine and love it….better than my old 2.3 DHF which I also liked a lot. (32mm ID rims)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Went with regular DHF 2.3. Seems fine. WT might be better, but it’s the additional weight that puts me off.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Wide Trail – 35mm+ rim only?’ is closed to new replies.