Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • maxxis tyres, why is my 2.35 minion quit a bit smallet than my 2.25 advantage??
  • moniex
    Free Member

Hi,

Just got a 2.35 Super Tacky singly ply wired Maxxis minion to put on the front of my orange 5 for the alps.

Is somehow measures much SMALLER than the 2.25 folding advantage it replaces?!?

I dont really feel comfortable riding such a skinny tyre in the alps.

Anyone else had this? Suggestions?

Thanks

Simone

stevomcd
    Free Member

“old” Maxxis tyres (Minion, High Roller, etc.) come up very small compared to “new” Maxxis tyres (Advantage, Ignitor?, etc.).

The 2.35″ Minions are OK for the Alps, depends what you’re riding.

moniex
    Free Member

only ordered this minion this week from crc? the advantage came on a 2011 orange…

convert

It’s not when the tyre was made/bought but when the mould was made. Minion is one of the “old” designs.

juan
    Free Member

I dont really feel comfortable riding such a skinny tyre in the alps.

Well if you feel more comfortable riding an advantage, go for it. But just make sure you take your HR with you just in case you want to turn and brake

dirtydog
    Free Member

Maxxis Advantage 2.25 (54/56-559)

Maxxis Minion 2.35 ( 52-559 )

ETRTO gives a better indication of tyre width.

chiefgrooveguru

ETRTO still isn’t consistent though. Rubber Queen 2.2 is 55-559, X-King 2.4 is 60-559 and they’re the same size in reality. Tyre specs are idiotic.

2.35 Minion ST is a very grippy tyre despite its lack of volume!

moniex
    Free Member

Should i just swap it for a dual ply ST minion in 2.5 or 2.7?

I do have time to change it…

stevede
    Free Member

Personally i’d swap it if you can afford to for a minion dhf 2.5 super tacky with exo casing – bit tougher than a single ply without the extra bulk of a dual ply. My combo for my Five on bigger days out is the 2.5 minion dhf up front and a 2.4 high roller 2 60a rear – both exo casings, great tyres.

moniex
    Free Member

Cheers, just ordered one of those 2.5 minion dhf exo 42a thinys, hopefully will be ok.

Northwind

See I wouldn’t mind inaccurate/dishonest tyre size claims so much if they were at least consistent… Maxxis seem to have made theirs more honest now which is good, since as you’ve found the older ones are miles out, but it makes it very confusing. Still, not as bad as Conti.

If you wanted a 2.35 Minion, then you’re on the right track buying a 2.5.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘maxxis tyres, why is my 2.35 minion quit a bit smallet than my 2.25 advantage??’ is closed to new replies.