Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Maxxis tyres – what's the difference between these minion DHF's?
  • tor5
    Free Member

Which is grippier, sturdier and better tubeless? I’m looking for a front tyre…

Minion DHF Dual Exo Tubeless Ready

or

Minion DHF 3C Exo MAxxTerra

Thanks!

singlespeedstu

The 3C is a softer compound.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Sturdiness and ease of tubeless-ing are equal (EXO means tough sidewalls, both will go tubeless easily).

Difference is the compound, 3C is a triple compound, more advanced and more grippy. (It uses a softer grippier rubber on top of a harder-wearing base).

3C for the front every time.

honourablegeorge

“Dual” is a mix of hard (60a) and even harder (62a) compounds.

3C Maxterra is three delicious soft chewy compounds mixed.

Exo for puncture protection in a light tyre.

chiefgrooveguru

3C for the front and dual for the rear (unless you’re racing or particularly stingy in which case you could go 3C all round or dual all round respectively). 3C is great but on the back the side knobs wear pretty fast – seems to last ages on the front though.

mike399
    Free Member

I found these were cheapest despite postage and arrived in a couple of days…
    http://www.acycles.co.uk/recherche.html?motclef=maxxis+minion

tor5
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, that’s pretty clear. What do you think to a high roller II on the back?

chiefgrooveguru

This article compares the HR2 and DHR2 both in 2.3: http://twentynineinches.com/maxxis-highroller-ii-dhr-ii-29er-tires-on-test/

I’m not really sure what the HR2 2.3 is for – it seems a bit pointless. What does it do better than a DHR2? The HR2 2.4 is a different animal entirely with far bigger side knobs, a good halfway house between the Minions and the Shorty for loose/wet conditions.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis tyres – what's the difference between these minion DHF's?’ is closed to new replies.