Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Maxxis Tyres / Stans Flow / Tubeless
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Converted to a tubeless setup a few months back after a bad run of punctures (9 in 3 weeks). After some initial setup problems, specifically with the Larsen TT I run on the rear, it’s been great.

What I have noticed though is tyre squirm. When riding technical, loose, rocky trails and, for example, leaning the bike in on berms, there is an element of tyre squirm where the sidewalls must fold.

Its not a sensation that I like and wondered what could be done to resolve it. I’m running 35-40psi in both tyres (so not low pressures) but wondered if buying UST specific tyres would stop this from happening? Presumably, these have thicker sidewalls?

I’m off to the Alps in September with MBMB and wondered if it was worth upgrading to UST specific or Dual Ply.

D0NK

I run minion dual ply on flow rims, not noticed squirm but I run 45ish psi. Heavy but I aint pinched it yet. For alpine I’d def go dual, you can get UST dual ply to cover all bases.

Oh and yes UST tyres have thicker sidewalls, I still manage to pinch them occasionally tho.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Cheers D0NK, I’ll see what UST/Dual Ply tyres I can get my hands on.

Would quite like to keep the same 2.35 HR front / 2.35 Larsen TT rear as this offers grip and fast rolling. The MBMB 3 Countries Tour requires plenty of (uphill) pedalling as well as downhill.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MSP

Are you getting squirm on both tyres or just the rear?

I have given up on very light tyres for the rear, but don”t have any problem up front, I suggest going for a slightly heavier tyre at the rear, but still probably not necessary to go for a full ust tyre.
    I currently have continental protection on the rear and race-sport on the front, and I am pretty heavy.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Tyre squirm is related to tyre pressure and sidewall strength. Your pressures aren’t very low, so I’d get something with stiffer sidewalls (UST or dual ply) there will be a weight penalty, which if you don’t like, just up your pressures.

scruff
    Free Member

Non-UST Dual ply Maxxis seal pretty well on UST rims with a bit of soapy stans jizz.

Liftman

Had the same issue with single ply minions, managed to burp the rear tyre off of the rim twice.

Changed to dual plys and no issues since.

D0NK

MBMB 3 Countries Tour requires plenty of (uphill) pedalling as well as downhill.

Ah I read alps and thought “uplift” dual ply are seriously chunky. Try UST first or up your pressures.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Tyres / Stans Flow / Tubeless’ is closed to new replies.