Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Maxxis tyres, opinion please.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Ranchero or Crossmark, both folding circa 2″. Which one for an XC/ride along bike? Opinions please.

teacake
    Free Member

2.1 crossmark all the way. Just don’t be surprised if it gets a bit Sketchy McFlav on the loose or wet rooty stuff, but the low rolling resistance is worth it IMO.

soobalias
    Free Member

im on 2.1 crossmarks atm.
    very similar to the 2.3 conti speedkings in size and straight line ‘speed’ , but seem to be a little less reliable if grip is required.

never even heard of the rancheros so cannot comment.

aldo69
    Free Member

just changed from crossmarks due to the lack of grip ok when dry really poor when wet, to maxis ardents 2.25 only been out twice but so far i am really impressed.

kiwijohn

Monorails

Inbred456
    Free Member

Larsen TT’s fast rolling and cheap. Folding ones £15 at Merlin. Seems to be the tyre of choice when mags test bikes.

bwakel
    Free Member

The Crossmarks are the fastest tyres I’ve ever ridden. They really don’t work in even light loam and forget them in the wet but on dry trails they fly.

I’ve currently running tubeless Ignitor 2.1s and they roll well and corner nicely and find grip in most mid to dry conditions.

If you want something fast, light but which also works in a mixture of conditions then you could consider 2.1 High Rollers. They’re small for their size and roll really well and find grip in most situations.

Non-Maxxis wise, Hutchinson Python 2.0s are fantastic tyres. Nearly as fast as the Crossmark and work really well in a range of conditions other than when it’s really muddy and then you need Maxxis Medusa 2.1s which give amazing confidence in the mud and actually work well in middling conditions too.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I’m running the monorails, not been out on anything gloopy yet, but a damp ride the other night was eaten up with glee,very responsive.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll stay with Intense then, non the wiser despite your best efforts. Too big a choice.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis tyres, opinion please.’ is closed to new replies.