Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Maxxis tyres
  • marco
    Free Member

Just after a bit of advice!
    Fancy trying some Minions or Highrollers for a change.
    I have panaracer fire xc pro 2.1 at the moment but not that great coming down a hill.
    What are the main differences and is anything else worth a try?
    I ride mainly round calderdale/south pennines with trips to Inners etc
    Mainly thinking from a price point of view – both about £20
    Cheers

MRanger156
    Free Member

I’d go minion or the highroller, especially for summer. I like all they’re tyres especially the advantage as a rear tyre or front tyre in the summer for xc. The crossmark is a great summer rear tyre.

ampthill

Choosing a maxxis tyre needs a degree

I have single ply, 62a, kevlar bead 2.35 High Rollers which I like as general tyres. A bit draggy but generally grippy. They are simlar in sixe to fire xc 2.1 in size

In what way are your current tyres not good down hill.

If you are really fast and pushing it down hill the may be look at Minions?

DT78
    Free Member

My mates are rating the Advantage for trail centre riding at the moment.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For Claderdale/Pennies I’d probably go with the Minions, bit of a tougher sidewall on the single ply’s for the rocks. They are also great 85% of the time where as the High Rollers go a bit pants in the wet/med. I’d say 2.35 sinlge ply in a 60a CRC have these for about £24 I think. Make sure you have a DHF on the front and a DHR on the rear. Use them up here in the lakes all year round

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I changed from Fire XC (UST) to Maxxis Ignitors and they are a lot more surefooted.

Northwind

ampthill – Member

Choosing a maxxis tyre needs a degree

Well, if you believe their website every tyre is grippy in the dry, wet and intermediate conditions, and doesn’t forget the racer 😉 They all “keep rolling resistance to the minimum” too…

Minions and Highrollers are pretty similiar, there’s endless arguments about which is better for what but no 2 people can even agree which one’s faster. So, get the one you like the shape of 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Advantage.

float
    Free Member

Well, if you believe their website every tyre is grippy in the dry, wet and intermediate conditions, and doesn’t forget the racer They all “keep rolling resistance to the minimum” too…

for my minion id pretty much agree with that. i leave it on all year round and am always pleaased at how it performs. its also lasting an annoyingly long time, i want it to wear out so i can try other tyres 😆

on a side note, has anyone else found that the best of a minion comes when its ran relatively hard (above 35psi)

Weasel
    Free Member

I’ve got UST’s on both bikes. I switched my Fire XC Pro’s to Crossmarks for the summer, don’t notice that much if at all between them to be honest.

On my longer travel bike 2.1 Medusas for the winter and for the summer – a 2.35 Highroller up front and a 2.2? Crossmark at the back, the Highroller does drag but otherwise fine

marco
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies all
    Think i will go with the Minions
    Ampthill – i just dont feel very confident with them downhill, they slip quite a bit under braking and going to inners in 2 weeks so want to be able to concentrate on riding rather than my tyres.
    Anyone have Kenda nevegals?

float
    Free Member

kenda nevergrips? yep, the ones that came on my gt were insanely bad. i really dont understand where the hype for them comes from.

Northwind

The OEM-spec nevegals are rubbish, the aftermarket ones are a totally different tyre (different carcass and compounds). Really stupid behaviour from Kenda, that, gives them a bad name.

I like Nevegals, prefer them to my Minions for most use- they’re a bit more neutral handling and consistent. Got to be a stick-e for the front though, the DTC always feels “pingy” as if it’s overinflated, it wants to bounce off things not track over them.

Both have their advantages but to me, the Minion’s only better when pushed very hard, the edge grip definately has the Nevegal beat but the mid-lean grip seems much less inspiring, they either want to be upright or leaned right over I reckon. And the weight and rolling resistance is much higher. (*)

I always feel like I need to be riding like a nutter for the Minions to really work properly and on unfamiliar trails or longer rides I just can’t put down that sort of commitment often enough to make them shine. And if I’m off the boil they feel unpredictable, whereas the Nevegal delivers better performance for that 90% of the time. Realistically most of my riding needs a more balanced tyre. But more awesome riders might disagree 😉

(* when talking about these tyres you have to bear in mind that the 2.35 Nevegal is accurately sized while the 2.35 Minion is very undersized- the 2.35 Nev’s almost exactly as wide as the 2.5 Maxxis)

If you’re at all unsure you really can’t go too far wrong with a Highroller or a Minion tbh, the worst that’ll happen is it’s heavier and draggier than you need but you won’t often feel like you’re short of tyre.

marco
    Free Member

Northwind – I am deffo not an awesome rider….well not too awesome!
    Got me thinkin about nevegals now. God why are there so many frikkin tyres?
    Thanks all for the input

slowboydickie

I had a high roller 42 up front which was damn slow. On t’other bike I had a high roller xc with ghetto UST set up on the back which ripped first ride out 🙁 Now I have an Advantage UST on the front and HR XC UST on the back, which worked beautifully on the first ride yesterday. Kenda Nevegal DTC is pretty heavy in the 2.1 UST format and wore out quickly.

Northwind

TBh there’s millions of good tyres now, with a bit of common sense it’s harder to buy a bad one than a good one really. Don’t stress too much about it!

br
    Free Member

i just dont feel very confident with them downhill, they slip quite a bit under braking

Maybe you are running too much pressure in them?

jonb
    Free Member

Still got nobby nicks for £20 on on-one 2.25 look comparable to 2.1 firs xc. Good tyres.

I notice the 70a being a bit sketchy compared to other tyres the softer advantages are great though.

llama

get super tacky on the front

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis tyres’ is closed to new replies.