Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Maxxis tyre compounds (dual compound)
  • rotary
    Free Member

Does anyone know whether the dual compounds differ between a Minion dhr 2 (believed to be 62a-60a) and the dhf? i have seen that maxxis also do a dual compound which is 52a-60a

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d love to know the actual ratings for all their different tyres.

I’ve avoided a dual compound DHF up front as I assumed it would compromise grip and similarly, looking for a dual compound for the rear to avoid excessive wear. However, if the dual varies with tread design, I might be barking up the wrong tree.

rotary
    Free Member

There is a lot of good info here but it doesn’t really answer my question

http://nextday.bike/Information.aspx

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve seen that before. It only skims the surface though.

chiefgrooveguru

It’s all a bit confusing. But I do know that a dual compound DHR2 rolls way faster than the 3C version, in fact it’s not much slower than a dual compound Minion SS. It also wears much more evenly on the back, keeping a better edge on the side knobs.

For the front I’d only run a 3C, unless you’re solely a dry conditions rider (do they exist in the UK?)

rotary
    Free Member

i agree, im really impressed with the dhr2 dual compound.

milky1980
    Free Member

I’ve also tried to get numbers off MAxxis but they seem reluctan o give them out for some reason.

As far as I can make out the dual compound aggressive tyres (DHRII, High Roller etc) have a softer compound mix than the XC tyres (Ardent, Crossmark). I happily run a dual DHRII on the rear with a 3C upfront on the big bike and dual compound Ardent/CrossmarkII combo on the small bike so it’s not a case of 3C front/dual rear!

rotary
    Free Member

i have been running a dual compound on the rear and 3c front like a lot of people. I’m considering going from a 3c minion 2.3 on the front to a minion dual compound but in a 2.5

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

This linky may help, but I don’t know if it is accurate.

leth
    Free Member

I always run a maxxgrip on th front but have swayed towards a duel conpoud on the rear. After 2 weeks in morzine the front has lost all its edges. The rear tyre still looks pretty new.

Northwind

rotary – Member

i have been running a dual compound on the rear and 3c front like a lot of people. I’m considering going from a 3c minion 2.3 on the front to a minion dual compound but in a 2.5

I honestly wouldn’t, the dual is fine til it’s not, which will most likely be on some greasy pile of rocks. If 2.5 makes sense for your riding then dual compound front doesn’t imo.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis tyre compounds (dual compound)’ is closed to new replies.