Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Maxxis tyre choices
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

*yawn* another thread about bl00dy tyres.
    Need a new all round set of (26″) tyres but not xc style more DH/play bikey.
    Rear – thinking Ardent 2.25 rear and a 2.3DHR for wet conditions,
    Front – Either Ardent 2.4, a 2.35 DHF 3C or a 2.5DHF 3C
    Riding is a right mixture of surfaces from rocky lake district , muddy Gisburn, forest DH trails Llandegla etc.
    I can rarely be arsed changing tyres.
    Any advice appreciated.

honourablegeorge

Not sure I’d want an Ardent up front if I was expecting mud.

DHF Front, Aggressor rear?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Not sure I’d want an Ardent up front if I was expecting mud.

Yeah well someone said the 2.4 Ardent had bigger knobs. A who doesn’t want bigger knobs out the front?

DHF Front, Aggressor rear?

Don’t start throwing wildcards in the mix, I’m fed up of looking at the things already. Wish tyre companies would only make one tyre, 2 at most if front/rear tyres are a real thing.
    What is an ‘aggressor’ good for then?

honourablegeorge

Aggressor is their new allrounder, and everyone says it’s great. Mine’s in the post room at work, waiting to try it myself.

Minion SS is a great tyre too, far better all round than you migh tthink

jonnym92

HR2 rear and Minion DHF front.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I can rarely be arsed changing tyres.

HRII front and rear. Job done.

chiefgrooveguru

I found DHR2 works pretty well in all conditions if you accept it’s fairly slidey in the mud. I have two wheelsets now so also use Shorty front when it’s looser and Minion SS when it’s drier. Substitute DHF for DHR2 if you like but I think the DHR2 is a bit better at most things.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Aggressor is their new allrounder,
    Minion SS is a great tyre too,
    HRII front and rear. Job done.
    DHR2 works pretty well in all conditions
    use Shorty front when it’s looser

FFS! this is why I can never buy new tyres.
    and no-one has answered DHF – 2.35 or 2.5? Heard loads of recommendations for the 2.5 as it comes up smaller than a true 2.5 but what’s the 2.35 for then???

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’re not gonna change tyres, I’d go for the DHR2 60a rear and HR2 3C front.

Maxxis don’t seem to do a mud-friendly all-rounder like the Magic Mary, unfortunately.

honourablegeorge

2.5 Minion is “Optinised” for 35mm internam rims

Stevet1
    Free Member

If you’re not gonna change tyres, I’d go for the DHR2 60a rear and HR2 3C front

Hmm okay, maybe. Closest yet I think to an allround pairing. Still dunno whether to use a DHF up front though.

2.5 Minion is “Optinised” for 35mm internam rims

**** that then.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Thats’s what I went with, 3C EXO DHF on the Front, 60a EXO HR2 on the back – 2.3 on my 650b, but I had 2.4 on my 26″.

I tried playing around with narrower rears for less drag, but it never really worked for me, a bit quicker yes, but the handling went to hell and it was less fun.

It’s not the fastest rolling set-up, but I like it.

chiefgrooveguru

I think for a do-anything but fairly gnarly set-up I’d go with HR2 2.4 3C front and DHR2 2.3 Dual rear. The HR2 is more open than the DHR2 so won’t clog as easily but the 2.3 version has rather small knobs, the 2.4 has way more bite so better as a front tyre.

Aggressor will clog more easily than any of the Minions and much more easily than an HR2.

chakaping
    Free Member

I agree on getting a 2.4 HR2, and on the HR2 being the most muck-friendly of the Maxxis all-rounders.

br
    Free Member

I found DHR2 works pretty well in all conditions if you accept it’s fairly slidey in the mud. I have two wheelsets now so also use Shorty front when it’s looser and Minion SS when it’s drier. Substitute DHF for DHR2 if you like but I think the DHR2 is a bit better at most things.

+1 on my 29er’s two wheelsets, this way no need to change tyres, just swap wheels.

chiefgrooveguru

Yep, Spitfire wearing the muddier set and Zero AM the drier set in this pic:

Stevet1
    Free Member

So, ditch the Ardent and DHF? Stick to DHR and HR2?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Don’t be running the aggressor on the rear in muddy conditions unless you like lots of sliding about.

jruk
    Free Member

I switched from an HR2 on the front to a Minion DHF 3C as the central knobs are squarer so bite better. Still running an HR2 on the back. Leave them on all year round.

jwray

The HR2 (on the front at least) seems to be a personal preference thing. Some love them, others don’t. I personally couldn’t get on with them. Much prefer a DHF on the front.

I do run a HR2 on the back cos that’s what I had in the shed.

honourablegeorge

chiefgrooveguru – Member
    Yep, Spitfire wearing the muddier set and Zero AM the drier set in this pic:

That’s handy that you have a spare frame and fork to keep your second set of wheels on

chiefgrooveguru

That’s handy that you have a spare frame and fork to keep your second set of wheels on

As I explained to my wife, wheels are very difficult to store on their own, they tend to roll away and vanish – this was the safest containment solution.

honourablegeorge

Sensible. Could have been dangerous.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Maxxis don’t seem to do a mud-friendly all-rounder like the Magic Mary, unfortunately

There’s a simple solution to that, buy a magic mary 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis tyre choices’ is closed to new replies.