Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Maxxis Shorty shortage – is there any stock anywhere???? or any idea when?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

specifically 2.5 3c wide trail version?

what a farce, its the time of year when you need mud tyres, throughout Europe pretty much, and no sod can get hold of them?!?! starting to get a bit annoyed with maxxis and the lack of stock the have on certain tyres throughout the year, whenever you need one, it always becomes a real hassle finding the one you want. Don’t ever remember having to source the bloody internet for a tyre before!!

tempted just go back to spesh from now on, can always get them, and now they’ve started to do 2.6 (which is essentially wide trail variety) and they are about 25 quid cheaper 🙁

steel4real
    Free Member

Agree – you have to plan ahead with Maxxis.

But like you say, Spesh have the latest Hillbilly out now, in the grid version as well. Cheaper than Maxxis and a comparable tyre, plus they finally brought out a 27.5 version.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yep – hillbilly looks pretty much identical, similar weight in the same width near enough may have to just go down that route, so frustrating!

by maxxis logic/stock you have to buy winter tyres in summer and vice versa just to make sure you can get them when you actually need them 🙁

stevied
    Free Member

Or have a look at the WTB Convict.
    2.5″ light, high grip is nearly as good as a Shorty in the gloop & (IMO) better on harder/packed surface.

sharkattack

My 26″ Shorty’s have been rendered useless so I went with Hillbillies. Not disappointed at all.

The RRP on Maxxis tyres right now is laughable. Having used nothing but Maxxis for over ten years I’m now fully Specialized. Haven’t had a bad one yet.

cumbrianmonkey
    Free Member

Grizedale MTB had some last week. 01229860335

mark90
    Free Member

If I was looking to replace my Shorty at the moment I’d be very tempted to give the Hillbilly grid a go.

Gotama
    Free Member

Having had the 29 Hillbilly in the past and now having a 2.5 shorty I’d have no qualms about using the new 2.6 hillbilly instead.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers bud, its far too heavy for me, plus my mates run one and the weight makes the tyre very stiff and not as forgiving/flexible as the non DD one so I don’t really want that one

will give grizedale MTB a ring 🙂 cheers cumbriamonkey

if this fails then ill get a hillbilly ( but OMG how will my brand match OCD code 😆 😯 )

sharkattack

but OMG how will my brand match OCD code

You can probably buy a matching pair of Spesh for not much more than a Shorty. Try running a Butcher or Purgatory on the back.

SirHC

Hillbilly is just as good as a shorty, if not better. It copes better with roots and harder surfaces, will be leaving the one on the front of my bike until the end of spring.

thered

Dropping Extra as a distributor probably hasn’t helped, they were supposed to be in this week but that’s now gone back to Jan.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

till jan 😆 takes the piss, winter starts around end of October in the UK, so 4 months really without the option to buy one….

Sir HC – have you got the 2.6 version? is it a fat tyre or just similar to the WT 2.5?

antares
    Free Member
    jimmy

Alpine bikes at GT had some hanging on the wall yesterday. Not sure what size/spec, mind.

SirHC

Sir HC – have you got the 2.6 version? is it a fat tyre or just similar to the WT 2.5?

2.3, didn’t want the extra drag of the 2.6, 2.3 will be better in mud in theory.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

antares – Member 
    Is this what you’re after?
    https://r2-bike.com/MAXXIS-Tire-Shorty-275-650B-x-25-3C-MaxxTerra-TR-EXO

you little beauty jim!! ordered so lets see what happens, I have used these guys before so its likely it is in stock if it is 🙂

thanks so much!!! great spot 🙂

antares
    Free Member

you little beauty jim!! ordered so lets see what happens, I have used these guys before so its likely it is in stock if it is

thanks so much!!! great spot

😉

hainman
    Free Member

Anyone used the bontrager SE5

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah it’s like a Minion DHF. Good tyre but less slop-specific than the Shorty obvs

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Shorty shortage – is there any stock anywhere???? or any idea when?’ is closed to new replies.